BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

07-04-2022, 07:36 PM   #1
e90Dawg08
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3

Favorite CCC Android Auto System?

Now that I've gotten all of the issues cleared up on my 2008 e90, I'm looking to upgrade the infotainment system to use Android Auto with my Samsung galaxy phone. I've read a ton of the material on here, however most of the threads started years back and are very Apple CarPlay focused. I will give a disclaimer that I've never had a vehicle with Android Auto so I'm not exactly sure what I need/want when I am reviewing different features. I have zero coding experience so I'm hoping for a plug & play solution. I'm also in the US if that matters.

From my understanding, the current display is too low quality to run an MMI box for a CCC system. I do have the aux and USB ports in the center armrest with the enhanced premium sound option. I'd prefer to be able to charge my phone through the USB and bluetooth into the head unit, but I'm game for whatever is better performing (less lag in menu selections and HQ audio). I'd like to be able to run google maps, sirius xm app, samsung music, youtube, and receive messages to the head unit via my phone. I also want to be able to navigate using the steering wheel for things like volume and next track, and the be able to use the idrive controller in android auto.

Andream seems to have 2 units that could work for me but I haven't gotten a response through messenger with them (and recently deactivated my facebook for personal reasons, maybe they don't reply to "guests"):
1) https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...ew963wadcpxccc -- comes with 1 * Touch Screen, 1 * Power Cable, 1 * USB Cable -- $310
2) https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...ucts/ew963-e60 -- comes with 1 * Touch Screen, 1 * Power Cable, 1 * USB Cable, 1 * GPS Antenna, 1 * 4G-LTE Cable -- $430

I don't mind spending the extra $120, but I want to understand what the GPS antenna and 4G-LTE Cable actually do for functionality. I have both of those through my phone obviously, and I don't have an extra, active SIM card. I don't want to have to swap one between my phone and the car every time I drive. Can someone help me understand the difference between the two products and what could help suit my needs? I am not set on Andream, they just seem to have the best remarks for what I'm seeking.

If I missed a thread where this is clearly explored with an Android/Samsung focus, please point me in that direction. Even the Andream pages say "Apple CarPlay (wired and wireless), Android Auto (wired)" on the $310 system which concerns me about compatibility.

Last edited by e90Dawg08; 07-04-2022 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Added I have no coding experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 09:52 PM   #2
detelloo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3 2009 335i 2009 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
I ordered this installed it last week,

US $299.70 26%OFF | 8G Ram+128G Rom Android Car multimedia player for BMW 5 Series E60 E61 E63 E64 E90 E91 E92 CCC CIC iDrive Radio GPS Car Play
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrw9j1g

I got the 8gb it's pretty fast not laggy at all, no buggy carplay, came with the GPS, WiFi antenna and back up camera. Once you connect it once, every time you start up it automatically connects. All steering controls work.
* forgot to add, android auto works good to I use a s21.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2022, 06:15 PM   #3
e90Dawg08
Enlisted Member
Rep

The reviews seem like quality is a craps shoot for that Aliexpress unit, but I'm definitely interested. Anyone else have some feedback or guidance? I have low patience for quality issues and would rather spend more to get it right the first time.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I had the first one in my e90 I sold a few months ago. The second one is full android, which is why it has LTE and GPS, it can function on it's own without a phone.

IMO I am not a fan of the full android ones, I had one in my old e46 years ago, they were slow and glitchy but im sure they have gotten better. I just do'nt need all those extra options, carplay/aa is all I need.

Now my experience with the Andream Touchscreen CP/AA. It's decent and obviously great to have that functionality in an older car. But two things that bothered me, sound quality wasn't great through aux, it's passable and better than my E46 days which had terrible audio with those units. But compared to a CIC/Mr.Volt unit the SQ is lacking.

Second, UI isn't as responsive, CCC controller doesn't seem to work as great as CIC with Mr.12Volt does but atleast it had touch screen, a few times after scrolling options and not getting to what I want to select, I just touch the screen, the focus doesn't seem to go where you want it to most of the time. There is some lag and I had a lot of disconnects/restarts/system hangs.

Also here is an older thread on this unit: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1811692
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #5
e90Dawg08
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I had the first one in my e90 I sold a few months ago. The second one is full android, which is why it has LTE and GPS, it can function on it's own without a phone.

IMO I am not a fan of the full android ones, I had one in my old e46 years ago, they were slow and glitchy but im sure they have gotten better. I just do'nt need all those extra options, carplay/aa is all I need.

Now my experience with the Andream Touchscreen CP/AA. It's decent and obviously great to have that functionality in an older car. But two things that bothered me, sound quality wasn't great through aux, it's passable and better than my E46 days which had terrible audio with those units. But compared to a CIC/Mr.Volt unit the SQ is lacking.

Second, UI isn't as responsive, CCC controller doesn't seem to work as great as CIC with Mr.12Volt does but atleast it had touch screen, a few times after scrolling options and not getting to what I want to select, I just touch the screen, the focus doesn't seem to go where you want it to most of the time. There is some lag and I had a lot of disconnects/restarts/system hangs.

Also here is an older thread on this unit: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1811692
Thank you! I don't think I'm ready to go for the CIC upgrade and then Mr.12Volt, so it sounds like my best option is to try that $310 unit, see how I like it, and if there are too many issues, be ready to revert to stock. I really appreciate the direction to that other thread as well!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 08:49 PM   #6
e90Dawg08
Enlisted Member
Rep

After a bit of a delay, I bought and installed that Andream unit. Getting the CCC unit back in with the new adapter was definitely the hardest part. Ran the usb + aux cords through the ebrake boot and dremel the little vent so I can hide my phone in there. BimmerTech's video was the best guide!

So far I'm really enjoying the modernized unit with android auto reading messages, voice to text works well, and running maps/Waze with a music app. I do think I'll have to get a glare reducing cover for the touchscreen, but it's not too bad.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 02:09 PM   #7
Pacific Standard
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Hi,

Wanted to check in to see how the unit has faired after about 6 months. I am in a similar spot with my CCC unit and want to get wireless Android Auto in my car without having to go CIC. Is the touch screen laggy? And does the audio cut out when selecting reverse? Any other notes or feedback is very welcome.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 03:04 PM   #8
e90Dawg08
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Standard View Post
Hi,

Wanted to check in to see how the unit has faired after about 6 months. I am in a similar spot with my CCC unit and want to get wireless Android Auto in my car without having to go CIC. Is the touch screen laggy? And does the audio cut out when selecting reverse? Any other notes or feedback is very welcome.

Thanks!
Hey man, the only issues I've had with it are as follows:
1) When I'm in a hurry it takes 30 seconds to get all booted up and connected after I plug my phone in.
2) The audio does cut out in reverse, but I've gotten used to it and actually don't mind it.
3) The M button does revert to the stock radio.
4) There's a bit of glare, but grab the AVIN screen protectors:
8.8" Anti-Glare Touch Screen Protector - 3 Pack for BMW E90, E60, E65, F25, F26, E91, E92, E93, E61, E62, E63, E64, E66, E67, E68,

SKU: SCPRTCR88B2

I drove from the southern part of SC to Asheville using it in October and it worked out great the whole trip. Overall, I'd say it's very worth it to pick this up and bring your tech up to the modern era.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 11:14 AM   #9
Pacific Standard
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

That's very helpful, thank you! I've been looking at an option with wireless Android Auto and I'm realizing that the majority of the offers online are the same but just rebranded.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 08:35 PM   #10
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Has anyone used any of the androids that removes the old ccc screen and floats a larger screen in front of where the ccc screen used to be?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33457367877...mis&media=COPY

Found a a video of one.

https://youtu.be/p-uGj4Z65Bs

Or maybe use a similar mount to float a more reliable Alpine Halo in front of where the ccc screen used to be?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 10:48 PM   #11
Oddozoo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW E64

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
Has anyone used any of the androids that removes the old ccc screen and floats a larger screen in front of where the ccc screen used to be?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33457367877...mis&media=COPY

Found a a video of one.

https://youtu.be/p-uGj4Z65Bs

Or maybe use a similar mount to float a more reliable Alpine Halo in front of where the ccc screen used to be?
Just bought this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13481110244...Bk9SR5KfzIqFYw

Will let you guys know how it turns out… it’s half the price of the one you linked but the display, and the software seems to be identical.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 06:02 PM   #12
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GT3

I installed this one a few months back. Works great. Steering wheel controls work as well as the knob. I usually just use the touch screen for most operations though.

https://avinusa.com/12-3-inch-multim...th-idrive.html

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Previous cars: '21 Supra, '17 GT-R, '15 GT3, '13 GT-R '09 GT-R, '06 Z06, '06 Evo MR, '05 M3, '03 Evo, '00 Miata.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 06:22 PM   #13
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Dawg08 View Post
2) The audio does cut out in reverse, but I've gotten used to it and actually don't mind it.
3) The M button does revert to the stock radio.
#2 is a safety feature. You might be able to change that in settings.

#3 - Here's a fix for that. Find my post in this thread.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1836258
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 02:38 PM   #14
flea333
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 ZCP, LMB, DCT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Dawg08 View Post
After a bit of a delay, I bought and installed that Andream unit. Getting the CCC unit back in with the new adapter was definitely the hardest part. Ran the usb + aux cords through the ebrake boot and dremel the little vent so I can hide my phone in there. BimmerTech's video was the best guide!

So far I'm really enjoying the modernized unit with android auto reading messages, voice to text works well, and running maps/Waze with a music app. I do think I'll have to get a glare reducing cover for the touchscreen, but it's not too bad.
Hey, I'm interested in installing this one too. Can you confirm the Wireless Android/Apple carplay works? It says it does on the website. Where is the BimmerTech video you found? Anything else I should know before making the purchase? I have the CIC unit.
      12-14-2023, 02:42 PM   #15
flea333
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 ZCP, LMB, DCT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
I installed this one a few months back. Works great. Steering wheel controls work as well as the knob. I usually just use the touch screen for most operations though.

https://avinusa.com/12-3-inch-multim...th-idrive.html
Whoa! This looks LEGIT! Has everything...

Did you self install or have someone? Did you install a backup camera? I'm kinda interested in adding if I have an installer do this.
      12-14-2023, 04:37 PM   #16
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea333 View Post
Whoa! This looks LEGIT! Has everything...

Did you self install or have someone? Did you install a backup camera? I'm kinda interested in adding if I have an installer do this.
Installed myself. It wasn't too difficult. Maybe a few hours taking my time. Installed a wireless backup camera but it wasn't reliable for me. Installed a wired one and it works great now. I always have bad luck with electronics and wiring, so the wireless thing was probably something I was doing wrong. Ah well.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Previous cars: '21 Supra, '17 GT-R, '15 GT3, '13 GT-R '09 GT-R, '06 Z06, '06 Evo MR, '05 M3, '03 Evo, '00 Miata.
Appreciate 0