BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

07-03-2022, 11:13 AM   #1
TannyBogus
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw M3 E93

I bought a 2013 E93 M3 from Bmw Northwest in tacoma, looking for previous owner.

I bought a Space Gray 2013 E93 M3 back in May from BMW northwest and Im trying to track the owner down to try and get some history of the car. It has a decent amount of after market parts on it, but the dealer and myself arent sure about some of them and there is no records of the work at the dealer.

The car has the Dinan Throttle body sticker under the hood and the dealer is claiming they think the previous owner only had one throttle body installed (ive got an appointment setup to have them verify everything by actually looking), but from my search it looks like they are sold in a set of 8. Is it possible to only do one and have the car still run properly?

This is my first bmw, so i really dont know a lot. I picked it up for a commuter that i can have fun driving. My other car is a modified '15 challenger hellcat and 8/13 mpg isnt fun to drive every day! lol.

thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 04:14 PM   #2
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannyBogus View Post
I bought a Space Gray 2013 E93 M3 back in May from BMW northwest and Im trying to track the owner down to try and get some history of the car. It has a decent amount of after market parts on it, but the dealer and myself arent sure about some of them and there is no records of the work at the dealer.

The car has the Dinan Throttle body sticker under the hood and the dealer is claiming they think the previous owner only had one throttle body installed (ive got an appointment setup to have them verify everything by actually looking), but from my search it looks like they are sold in a set of 8. Is it possible to only do one and have the car still run properly?

This is my first bmw, so i really dont know a lot. I picked it up for a commuter that i can have fun driving. My other car is a modified '15 challenger hellcat and 8/13 mpg isnt fun to drive every day! lol.

thanks for any help
There's no way they only did one. Has to be all 8.

I think you are going to be rather disappointed with the fuel economy numbers...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 08:51 PM   #3
SnohoRaptor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2021 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5  [9.00]
2020 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
2019 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Then again he's used to a hellcat lol

MW 2020 G05 X5 with delicious coffee interior
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 09:43 PM   #4
TannyBogus
Rep

Im used to the 13 mpg from the hellcat, so 18.8mpg in the m3 is definitely refreshing. Ive got a 2004 Mini Cooper S, but it needs about 3k in work and im just not sure that I want to put anymore money into it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 09:59 PM   #5
TannyBogus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
There's no way they only did one. Has to be all 8.

I think you are going to be rather disappointed with the fuel economy numbers...
That was my thought process on the throttle body. Since there is 8 individual I would think that just doing 1 of them would create issues for the car. I guess there is a chance the previous owner just put the sticker under the hood and never really did them, but I dont see why they would do that considering it has the dinan exhaust and intake. James (the guy at the dealer) looked the car over quickly and said "theres no way they did all 8." Im not sure how he came to that conclusion when he never started the car or anything to actually see what was going on. I kind of feel like he was being a hater. He also said theyll hook their machine up to it when i take it in for the bluetooth issue and will be able to tell if it has a dinan tune on it.

At the end of the day it doesnt matter too much since as of right now there is no proof of purchase for the parts, which to my understanding is needed to get the dinan badge from dinan. Between dinan exhaust, throttle body, and intake it would put the car at 8 points, but I dont see them doing all of that and not getting the tune, which would put it over 10 points and the car would qualify for the badge, if i could get proof of purchases and install.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 03:00 PM   #6
IrishNoodles
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 JCW

Quote:
That was my thought process on the throttle body. Since there is 8 individual I would think that just doing 1 of them would create issues for the car. I guess there is a chance the previous owner just put the sticker under the hood and never really did them, but I dont see why they would do that considering it has the dinan exhaust and intake. James (the guy at the dealer) looked the car over quickly and said "theres no way they did all 8." Im not sure how he came to that conclusion when he never started the car or anything to actually see what was going on. I kind of feel like he was being a hater. He also said theyll hook their machine up to it when i take it in for the bluetooth issue and will be able to tell if it has a dinan tune on it.

At the end of the day it doesnt matter too much since as of right now there is no proof of purchase for the parts, which to my understanding is needed to get the dinan badge from dinan. Between dinan exhaust, throttle body, and intake it would put the car at 8 points, but I dont see them doing all of that and not getting the tune, which would put it over 10 points and the car would qualify for the badge, if i could get proof of purchases and install.
Is the person you're dealing with at the dealer confused between a throttle body and a throttle body actuator?

My experience with BMW Northwest (and their colleagues at Seattle Mini) has been less than stellar . . so it wouldn't shock me if they didn't know what they were talking about!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 09:13 PM   #7
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishNoodles View Post
Quote:

Is the person you're dealing with at the dealer confused between a throttle body and a throttle body actuator?

My experience with BMW Northwest (and their colleagues at Seattle Mini) has been less than stellar . . so it wouldn't shock me if they didn't know what they were talking about!
At BMW NW the only tech I'll vouch for is Drew, and service advisor Liz. Been friends with Drew for more than 10 years and trust him with my car. He has a genuine passion for M cars. I ask for him specifically. As for sales staff or parts, I don't even bother with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 06:13 PM   #8
TannyBogus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammysammich View Post
At BMW NW the only tech I'll vouch for is Drew, and service advisor Liz. Been friends with Drew for more than 10 years and trust him with my car. He has a genuine passion for M cars. I ask for him specifically. As for sales staff or parts, I don't even bother with them.
Thank you. I will do the same from now on. I have a friend who works for dodge and he is also the only tech ill let touch my dodges.
Appreciate 0