BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW
Closed Thread

09-24-2015, 01:04 AM   #23
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Okay thanks. Think I'm doing pacific the following weekend if weather is okay. Still have those conti scrubs and a set of r1 take offs of yours I've never put to use. Goal of getting sub 1:50 doesn't seem doable anymore without more power with new configuration at 13.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 08:43 PM   #24
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

These look like some well thought out, quality pieces. Thanks for sharing! I hope to hear about your findings on track and please keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #25
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Mark, ditto the above plus is the DCT cooler a direct fit without any cutting required? Do you lose much DCT oil fitting it?

Be great once d088 provide the cost of the package?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #26
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92, SG & '89 635 CSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Mark, ditto the above plus is the DCT cooler a direct fit without any cutting required? Do you lose much DCT oil fitting it?

Direct fit. no issues. Only thing they recommend is cutting slits into the wheel liner for optimal/increased air flow. if you look on their site they have easy instructions to do this. took me 10 mins.
I had already drained my fluid for a partial change so I had no fluid come out. I would doubt you get much escaping especially if done cold ( recommended). just have some bungs/ plugs handy and fill the new cooler before connecting the pipes.
DCT. Custom Cantrell MS cage. Fire, SCCA, dedicated track. Diffs-online 3.62, diff cooler, MCS 2-ways, SPL arms, TMS solid SF/Diff bushings, RD sway, DO88 Coolers (DCT, RAD, PS, OIL) Akra catless GT4, BPM tune, Hans Recaro, AP Pro 5000R, Cobalt XR2/4 race pads, BBS E88's, Yoko A005 slicks, RKP GT4 Splitter, GT4 canards, APR GT250 Wing, CFK Hood, Flossman CFK fenders, BW carbon doors, Dinan R toe links, Mini battery.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 01:15 AM   #27
do88
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Quote:

The layout of a "complete package" is soon to be released. Some technicalities still remain to sort out. Iīll shoot you a PM meanwhile.

Regards
Isak, do88.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #28
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Isak - I have a few questions regarding the results graph of the DCT cooler. Pls could you aid my understanding?

At 0 minutes it seems to imply that the oil coming out of your cooler is 7C lower than stock. Would that not be roughly the same if the tests are performed under the same conditions? Could you provide results out to 20 minutes? That's likely to be more representative of track time.

At 11 minutes the outlet temp of your cooler appears to be static whilst stock is increasing. Could you provide results out to 20 minutes?

For the inlet temp it would appear that the oil is rapidly heats up as the delta is only 5C after 10 mins. That does not seem a lot? Again could you provide results out to 20 minutes?

Do you have any tests showing the temp of the DTC gearbox itself? I'd like to understand at what temp the stock car goes into safety mode and what temps were reached with your cooler after 20 mins track driving?

Thanks
Anthony
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #29
do88
Rep

Hello and thanks for your question. I believe itīs good to sort this out, so letīs clarify things somewhat. The graphs arenīt that easy to read.

Firstly, the 0 minutes mark is really just a starting point, marking when we start the measuring. Naturally, the car had some warm-up driving before we started, frankly, giving it hell. The lower intake temperature (the graph starting at a lower point) that one could suspect comes from someone fiddling with the numbers, are in fact just a proof that the gearbox temperature is lower to start with – even at warm-up cruising about, showing that the DCT coolers has a good impact even at moderate driving.
The first graph should be read like this: the dotted line is the intake temperature (oil comes in to the cooler from the actual gearbox), and the drawn line is the outlet temperature, after the coolers has done its work. The difference between these two is what matters. The farer the distance, the more the cooler is cooling the oil. The red lines get dangerously close to each other – meaning that the cooler isnīt able to reduce the heat. Meanwhile the blue lines are farer from each other, stating the cooling abilities of the do88 DCT-cooler. And, again, the fact that the dotted red line is significantly higher than the blue dotted line, clearly shows the difference in gearbox temperature. Measuring here, or even further “within” the gearbox is a difference that is foreseeable, since the oil hasnīt been cooled in any way before this measurement and the way it has travelled isnīt far.

Then we come to the second graph, which should be interpreted as the difference in before/after the oil cooler. The steeper and bigger difference between peak/bottom, the better is the performance of the cooler. In the beginning of the cycle, the car was driven VERY hard and it shows that the cooler is working better at a higher pace with enhanced ambient air hitting the core. Driving slowly, still shifting gear as maniacs, the car arises slowly. Ending this test cycle, the do88 cooler leveled out, whereas stock continued to rise as the graph shows.

This test was performed with everything maxed to the absolute limit, or even beyond it really. Driving like we did, shifting gear furiously and repeatedly every four (yes, really) seconds or more, will put higher stress to the gearbox and build more temperature than on a racetrack even. Especially as the car is driven faster on a racetrack, and therefore has more ambient temperature to help cool the liquid.
'
We cannot supply you with any more data than whatīs on display here. But let me assure you that these range of products are tested to the absolute limit. This testing sheet of 12 minutes did force the cooler to work at its absolute maximum capacity. Driving another 8 minutes, presumably at higher speeds with longer time between the gear changes and more ambient as a help, would really just decrease the figures.
I hope this sort things out for you.

Best regards,
Isak Edman
do88.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 03:12 AM   #30
do88
Rep

Hello!

As requested, here comes a link with the "full package" for either manual or DCT cars. As a Big pack, they come with a 15 % discount. Have a look if you may. We have the coolers ready for an immediate dispatch worldwide. http://www.do88.se/shop?term=BIG-M3&funk=gor_sokning

So far we have sold a couple of these to the middle east, Europe, and the US. Today another deal was closed in the States. Donīt miss this opportunity and make something about those overheating issues that ruins your experience.

Regards
Isak Edman
do88
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2015, 11:24 PM   #31
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Very cool stuff, do88. Any fitment issues? Can you run the OEM A/C condenser with the new radiator?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 01:32 AM   #32
do88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Very cool stuff, do88. Any fitment issues? Can you run the OEM A/C condenser with the new radiator?
Hello and thank you!

Everything fits perfectly, to be honest. That was one a the key features developing these items. Achieving good performance is easy (ier) if the execution of it doesnīt matter. This is a drop in fitment in original placement. And yes, the condenser is fully compatible with the new radiator.

Best regards,
Isak, do88.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #33
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Isak,

chap I know has an M3 GTS and at Spa it regularly overheats the DCT despite it being a very fast F1 circuit . He tried Motorsport24's upgraded DCT cooler but it did not work and the DCT continued to overheat.

Are you confident that your kit will prevent such issues?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 03:02 AM   #34
do88
Rep

Quote:
Hi Isak,

chap I know has an M3 GTS and at Spa it regularly overheats the DCT despite it being a very fast F1 circuit . He tried Motorsport24's upgraded DCT cooler but it did not work and the DCT continued to overheat.

Are you confident that your kit will prevent such issues?
Ant man, thanks for your question.

Well, we have not been to SPA with a M3 GTS. I would be impossible for us to promise that it will resolve each and one of our customersīspecific needs (quite spcific in this case). But, mind you, this is a high-end cooling solution that is far more efficient than any stock configuration. The Motorsport24 piece is situated in stock position, being 4mm thicker, and thatīs about it. We CAN in fact promise that the cooling abilities of our unit, vastly exceeds stock, as our figures clearly shows.

So, it will certainly be a good upgrade. Will it eliminate the issues? Probably, but it wouldnīt seem serious to promise it without having been to SPA ourselves.

Regards
Isak, do88.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #35
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRBRNG View Post
Yes, temp gauge.. I called it a thermostat. Duh. It's a drilled plug with temp sensor. My shop guy did these and connected to gauge cluster in dash.
Thanks for info.

I think temp data is not correct If installing sensor on plug, because fluid level is lower than plug during engine is running. may be.

I just installed do88's cooler like you.
Before installing cooler, I attached macht schenell's adpater for temp sensor.
But, it can not be attached on do88's.

Any method to install sensor on thermostat ?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #36
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76 View Post
Thanks for info.

I think temp data is not correct If installing sensor on plug, because fluid level is lower than plug during engine is running. may be.

I just installed do88's cooler like you.
Before installing cooler, I attached macht schenell's adpater for temp sensor.
But, it can not be attached on do88's.

Any method to install sensor on thermostat ?
Hi,
perhaps the more accurate is likely direct to the cooler intake. However, there is a great deal of fluid passing through and being pumped through the suction filter and into the pan base and back up. Regardless, the temps i am seeing on the gauge from before and after are night and day cooler than before from the same temp gathering location.

Cheers, Mark
DCT. Custom Cantrell MS cage. Fire, SCCA, dedicated track. Diffs-online 3.62, diff cooler, MCS 2-ways, SPL arms, TMS solid SF/Diff bushings, RD sway, DO88 Coolers (DCT, RAD, PS, OIL) Akra catless GT4, BPM tune, Hans Recaro, AP Pro 5000R, Cobalt XR2/4 race pads, BBS E88's, Yoko A005 slicks, RKP GT4 Splitter, GT4 canards, APR GT250 Wing, CFK Hood, Flossman CFK fenders, BW carbon doors, Dinan R toe links, Mini battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #37
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

More Pics

Here are the pics from the Ridge day, the first 2 graphs are from the Ridge on different days, the last is PIR. The gauge pic was from immediately into pit lane. Normally my trans would be over at 220 in pit lane and about 230 on track last laps...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #38
lukester
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

do88
Any chance that you will develop a water cooler for the real "hardcore" e9x M3s which run
without the A/C cooler?
Because removing the A/C helps the water temps as the A/C cooler sits in front of the
water cooler but it also generates more space which you could use for an even larger
water cooler.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 07:31 AM   #39
do88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukester View Post
do88
Any chance that you will develop a water cooler for the real "hardcore" e9x M3s which run
without the A/C cooler?
Because removing the A/C helps the water temps as the A/C cooler sits in front of the
water cooler but it also generates more space which you could use for an even larger
water cooler.
Thanks for the input! At the moment we have no such plans as there are other projects lying before us, but we appreciate your suggestion and will certainly consider it.

Best regards
Isak, do88.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #40
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRBRNG View Post
Here are the pics from the Ridge day, the first 2 graphs are from the Ridge on different days, the last is PIR. The gauge pic was from immediately into pit lane. Normally my trans would be over at 220 in pit lane and about 230 on track last laps...
40deg drop is huge, that's awesome!

You mentioned other coolers in your original post. Is the ref temp of 220-230 with stock or with one of these coolers? Or did the others you tried not make any difference to you compared to stock? Which ones did you try?
Closed Thread