BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

03-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Do coatings / PPD void warranties?

I tried searching various threads as well as online but could not find a definitive answer, hence the question.

If a car has paintless dent repair, wheel repair as well as windshield warranties on it , is there any risk of voiding these if a paint protection film and/or ceramic coating is applied to the car ? We just bought a new car for the family and it came with transferred warranties from the previous owner .... I paid 960 in total to add a year to all three which basically covers me for a total of 5 years from my purchase date. Did not think about this issue before hand , so that is my mistake.

The detailer I am likely to use wants me to check on this prior to doing work on the car. Initial plan was for a full paint Decon and correction followed by a full front PPF (llumar) and then ceramic coating the car with the ceramic wheel service.

Does anyone know or has any idea of voiding the above mentioned warranties if I do this . My gut is telling me that there maybe a strong chance of that happening . Wanted to know if anyone here has run into this problem .

I appreciate any input into this
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
I tried searching various threads as well as online but could not find a definitive answer, hence the question.

If a car has paintless dent repair, wheel repair as well as windshield warranties on it , is there any risk of voiding these if a paint protection film and/or ceramic coating is applied to the car ? We just bought a new car for the family and it came with transferred warranties from the previous owner .... I paid 960 in total to add a year to all three which basically covers me for a total of 5 years from my purchase date. Did not think about this issue before hand , so that is my mistake.

The detailer I am likely to use wants me to check on this prior to doing work on the car. Initial plan was for a full paint Decon and correction followed by a full front PPF (llumar) and then ceramic coating the car with the ceramic wheel service.

Does anyone know or has any idea of voiding the above mentioned warranties if I do this . My gut is telling me that there maybe a strong chance of that happening . Wanted to know if anyone here has run into this problem .

I appreciate any input into this
Without knowing what warranty company you have it's impossible to give you an answer. Cold call the company, tell them you are buying a new car and are inquiring about the above mentioned PPF + other things you want done voiding the warranty.
Appreciate 1
K-M390.50