BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Mporium BMW

12-14-2015, 05:19 AM   #1
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
Drift Instructor @ BMW Club UAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Video - Manual E92 M3 Launch from standstill

Hey guys,

I've been researching a lot about how to properly launch a manual M3 with such torque, without wearing out your tires, clutch, or drivetrain. Of course this comes with a price, you'd be losing about a 0.3-0.4 sec due to the smoothness of the launch.

The idea is to Rev upto 2000 RPM then drop the clutch while trying to maintain grip. Drop too early then you'll burn rubber, and if the torque is not right then you might stall your engine.

Shifting RPM is also a bit tricky as well, many prefer to go redline before actually deciding to shift. I go for 7200 RPM (1st to 2nd), 7500 RPM (2nd to 3rd), and 7800-8000 RPM (3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th, and 5th to 6th).

Here's the video

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, '17 Macan GTS

BPM tune is also a pretty viable option

Good launch, though!
      12-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
p-lethal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Le Mans Blue

i like it!

2011 BMW M3 Le Mans Blue - mOBridge DA1 \ Helix DSP Pro \ HAT Legatia L4SE Carbon \ HAT L1 Pro R2 \ HAT Clarus C10SW-D2 (2) \ Jehnert XE200 \ Hertz HDP1 \ Hertz HDP 4 \ Hertz HCP 2
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Shazz
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Surely there are lots of other variables involved like the temperature of the tyres, what tyres you have, road surface, whether you have traction control set to on/mdm/euro mdm/off, how quickly you mash down the throttle pedal, what power setting is being used, etc.

Nice launch but I don't think there is a one size fits all solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

The car makes peak power at redline, why shift earlier than that in a drag situation when the car is still building power?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 10:58 PM   #6
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
Drift Instructor @ BMW Club UAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raek View Post
BPM tune is also a pretty viable option

Good launch, though!
Thanks! I am considering ESS Tune as I've seen the result in person with my friend's ESS Tuned M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-lethal View Post
i like it!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunC View Post
Surely there are lots of other variables involved like the temperature of the tyres, what tyres you have, road surface, whether you have traction control set to on/mdm/euro mdm/off, how quickly you mash down the throttle pedal, what power setting is being used, etc.

Nice launch but I don't think there is a one size fits all solution.
True that, I use 265/30/19 Yokohama V105 tires which are grippy but the size that I went with makes them bit tricky sometimes. I went for this size due to my car being lowered and spacered. Also, my car never came with MDM. DSC OFF and the rest is on me.

Thanks for your words

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
The car makes peak power at redline, why shift earlier than that in a drag situation when the car is still building power?
It is not about horse power the entire time, what you care about the amount of torque that you're building up in your current gear. Once you pass the peak Torque limit, then it's all about the horse power that is getting the car going further. The next thing you need to care about is the next gear's RPM and it's torque. If you go for 7200 RPM shift towards the 2nd, then you'll be at about 5500 RPM at 2nd. Here you'll be at the peak torque for 2nd. And if you shift at 7500 RPM from 2nd to 3rd, you'll be again at 5500 RPM at the peak torque.

You just have to understand and figure out the sweet spot at these engines.

I don't encourage street racing, but if you have a closed course, try it out with a friend of yours. The first race, shift at redline and see the results, and for the second race, try to use these RPM and you'll notice difference. Probably about a car length if not more.

Appreciate 0