BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

VIR Sept. 8-9 Here we GO!!!!

Hey all, recently booked the weekend of sep 8-9 with Tarheel SCC and can't wait to get out there. Plan on road tripping with the family from Chitown (yea, persuaded the wife) and we're going to stay in one of the Villas on track, which looks awesome btw Any suggestions or thoughts on the trip or the track would be most appreciated as well as who else will be attending. This will be my first trip to VIR and will be planning a National Lampoons style road trip there and back as well as documenting as much of the trip as possible so bring on the brainstorming. This is going to be epic At least in my mind and can't wait to play with some other E9x M's on track.... ROLL CALL!!!!
      08-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

I am going to VIR on Monday-Tuesday with Trackdaze in a few days. Do you have the link to the event. Depending on how my car holds up, i might join as well.

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Hey Klammer, and look forward to welcoming you to VIR - a great track. You should enjoy the Villas, very convinent to all the action. VIR is a long and somewhat technical challenge, and because of the length, not an easy track to learn quickly. Do not allow it to frustrate you. I am not sure how much time my instructor obligations will require, however I am happy to help you in anyway I can once you are there. A lot of the participants will be return if not frequent drivers at VIR, and will be openly helpful to provide suggestions and advice.

Your drive from CHI area to Danville, Va should be a scenic and easy trip. I might recommend CHI/IND/SDF/LEX/CRW/Martinsville/DAN (cities are airline codes). Mostly all Interstate, however a long day if you plan on doing it in one day at the wheel. Back mountain roads from Charleston to Bluefield, WV provides some intersting sights, plus the home of the Hatfiled and McCoys. Stop offs in Matewan, WV, famous stand off between the miners and unions, and in Coalville, WV, home of the "Rocket Boys," who put a rocket in space before NASA. Lot of Fun.

See you at VIR.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
I am going to VIR on Monday-Tuesday with Trackdaze in a few days. Do you have the link to the event. Depending on how my car holds up, i might join as well.
Try Motorsportreg.com
Hope we will see you there.
vz

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...0A4579FED1E812

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Hey Klammer, and look forward to welcoming you to VIR - a great track. You should enjoy the Villas, very convinent to all the action. VIR is a long and somewhat technical challenge, and because of the length, not an easy track to learn quickly. Do not allow it to frustrate you. I am not sure how much time my instructor obligations will require, however I am happy to help you in anyway I can once you are there. A lot of the participants will be return if not frequent drivers at VIR, and will be openly helpful to provide suggestions and advice.

Your drive from CHI area to Danville, Va should be a scenic and easy trip. I might recommend CHI/IND/SDF/LEX/CRW/Martinsville/DAN (cities are airline codes). Mostly all Interstate, however a long day if you plan on doing it in one day at the wheel. Back mountain roads from Charleston to Bluefield, WV provides some intersting sights, plus the home of the Hatfiled and McCoys. Stop offs in Matewan, WV, famous stand off between the miners and unions, and in Coalville, WV, home of the "Rocket Boys," who put a rocket in space before NASA. Lot of Fun.

See you at VIR.
vz
Thanks so much for the info and will be spreading the driving over 2 days and try and take the scenic route. I requested the blue group so I think I'll need an instructor, can I request you Mr. Zoom??
      08-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
besiktas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Try Motorsportreg.com
Hope we will see you there.
vz

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...0A4579FED1E812
Hey, thanks alot. i just looked it up. Depending on how my car holds up, i might sign up on yellow group. Hopefully the event wont be full by next wednesday. I am dealing with some PF-08 brake pad parts and installation drama. Hopefully the pads will worth the trouble they are causing me. If everything goes smooth this weekend I will join you guys.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hey, thanks alot. i just looked it up. Depending on how my car holds up, i might sign up on yellow group. Hopefully the event wont be full by next wednesday. I am dealing with some PF-08 brake pad parts and installation drama. Hopefully the pads will worth the trouble they are causing me. If everything goes smooth this weekend I will join you guys.
Hope you can make it!
      08-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

cool man - i will be there in the gtr
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D
cool man - i will be there in the gtr
Ah shit... Another GT-R... Let's do this
      08-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
besiktas
United_States
Rep

I dont like GTR's. they make me feel like i am driving a prius. they are just so freakin fast. they just zoom by me both on track and street.

btw, klammer, if i make it to the event, then i will have plenty of questions on the mods you have on your car..!

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Ah shit... Another GT-R... Let's do this
yep yep see ya out there
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Will not be able to make this event, have to work to pay for this habit. I will be back down at VIR the 21st of September with Rezoom. Awesome group to run with. You boys have fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

yeah yeah yeah
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I dont like GTR's. they make me feel like i am driving a prius. they are just so freakin fast. they just zoom by me both on track and street.

btw, klammer, if i make it to the event, then i will have plenty of questions on the mods you have on your car..!
They are super fast out there adding some Rd sways and replacing some bearings and bushings to add to the question list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
yep yep see ya out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
Will not be able to make this event, have to work to pay for this habit. I will be back down at VIR the 21st of September with Rezoom. Awesome group to run with. You boys have fun.
Work is overrated, but such is the world we live in, fun will be had by all
      08-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats man! Great to see that you are expanding your track experience outside of the comfort zone of Illinois.

I wish I could go...I want to see MartinD cause trouble....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #16
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info and will be spreading the driving over 2 days and try and take the scenic route. I requested the blue group so I think I'll need an instructor, can I request you Mr. Zoom??
No problem and smart to stretch the drive to two days. Sorry, but I think that Tarheel has already assigned me to two students, one a Blue Student, who requested I ride with them. The Blue Group is a great group to run with. A wide varity of driving skills and speed. When I was in that group, we fondly developed the name "Killer Bees," and I think that the group has maintained the tradition.

Please look me up. I drive a white E92, the slow one, and perhaps we can make a lap or two together.

vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Same. I'd like to do both, but I'm too lazy to go through convincing THSCC I'm a worthy instructor etc. (haven't tried yet, but most clubs make you run at least one event as a normal driver with them first). I'd like to get a group of several E9X M3's at an event sometime though. There were 3 of us at Rezoom Barber, including one other M3Post member and myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile
Quote:
Same. I'd like to do both, but I'm too lazy to go through convincing THSCC I'm a worthy instructor etc. (haven't tried yet, but most clubs make you run at least one event as a normal driver with them first). I'd like to get a group of several E9X M3's at an event sometime though. There were 3 of us at Rezoom Barber, including one other M3Post member and myself.
Totally agree about more E9x's out there. This past Monday, probably one of the best attended track days I've been to and I was the only e9x M out there
      08-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
besiktas
United_States
Rep

Deleted- posted on wrong thread

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
They are super fast out there adding some Rd sways and replacing some bearings and bushings to add to the question list.
Wish I could be there! sounds like mad fun. Maybe next year. Hope it wasn't bearings in the motor!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #21
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Wish I could be there! sounds like mad fun. Maybe next year. Hope it wasn't bearings in the motor!
No problems at all, just upgrades: RD sport sways, turner delrin subframe bushings and dinan front control arm monoball bearings. Engines running like a champ and will see if I pick up any NVH after these as I'll be road tripping it there with the family (over 1500 mi. roundtrip) so should get a good feel for that. Won't know if there's a performance upgrade until I get back to Autobahn CC in Oct as my lap times are pretty consistent there, but have no idea about VIR. Might have to do some indoor carting this winter to stay sharp hate winters in the midwest Good luck at Gingerman this weekend, 1:48 to beat
      08-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #22
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Congrats man! Great to see that you are expanding your track experience outside of the comfort zone of Illinois.

I wish I could go...I want to see MartinD cause trouble....
Thanks dude. can't wait to go Might be making this the norm as want to hit as many tracks around the country as possible, going to be