BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #133
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
You mean the apps used my the majority of people?
Oh and that's what I'm worried about - using my mobile phone to do things better suited for my computer - go on, tell me more.

I have an Iphone now - but what does this have to do with a chipset that 99% of consumer will not notice or use - and the other 1% would be better served doing things on a platform made of actually productivity.

Facial recognition is facial recognition.
Yes, you are a fanboy, because outside of unlocking the phone, you've yet to provide me a pracitical application for any of these "innovations"

Uh, I didn't bring up andriod at all - I just think you're a fanboy getting excited about another device that is slightly improved over the previous model with no discernible difference in performance for the majority of consumers.

Uh...ok? Who cares? Can it run snapchat and FaceBook

OH NO- APPLE'S FR Software is BETTER! And? How does this actually change what I said? Is it revolutionary? No, we already have apps that use FR .

OP is a joke.

I'm pretty sure this guy hates innovation. Which happens slowly. When is the last time a device was released that took some sort of massive step forward. Hmmmm I guess the original iPhone.

The iPhone is a pretty big leap forward for AR, passing Google in fact. Also, do you know how big of a deal it is that Apple designed and made their own GPU instead of outsourcing?

You expect too much.
      10-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #134
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

So without wading through 7 pages of Android vs Apple. I have a dying 6 plus that has the "touch screen disease." I think I can limp it along until a X is available, but is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #135
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
I'm pretty sure this guy hates innovation. Which happens slowly. When is the last time a device was released that took some sort of massive step forward. Hmmmm I guess the original iPhone.

The iPhone is a pretty big leap forward for AR, passing Google in fact. Also, do you know how big of a deal it is that Apple designed and made their own GPU instead of outsourcing?

You expect too much.
What's so innovative about Facial recognition. I'm asking you to tell me the tangible benefits and not be a frothing out the mouth fanboy.

Is it faster? Sure.
Is it better? Maybe
Will most people notice? Doubtful.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #136
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
So without wading through 7 pages of Android vs Apple. I have a dying 6 plus that has the "touch screen disease." I think I can limp it along until a X is available, but is it worth it?
It's great info, yeah some arguments but has some points. Overall the 8's and the X have identically systems, cameras and few other but the X is going to offer a few features the others don't have as well as a new screen and facial recognition system.
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      10-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #137
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Do you have to drive a 180hp 4cyl Corrolla and a 560hp TT v8 M5 to know which one is superior or can you tell from the specs?

It's the same thing, you look at how facial recognition is done and if you understand it you can tell which one is better (assuming you have half a brain).
TANGIBLE BENEFITS.

The Corrolla has better fuel economy, the M5 is quicker and faster.
Better facial recognition gives me better snapchat filters?

All of this hype behind this software and this is the best you can do. Pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Since you prefer to be spoon feed, open wide for a spoon full for knowledge.....
It has a 3d depth sensor, where as others use 2D tech looking at it like a picture, so a picture can't fool it.
the 3d depth sensor maps 30k points on your face to identify a match. More points than a finger print reader uses to identify a match.
OK. And?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
"Facial recognition is facial recognition."

You are just greatness.
Am I wrong? Does it magically change the functionality of it?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #138
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
No, unless you're a hype-man who gets excited about random technobable bullshit that will not have any appreciable effect on your life and usability.
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      10-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #139
doogee
Major
Rep

Quote:
What's so innovative about Facial recognition. I'm asking you to tell me the tangible benefits and not be a frothing out the mouth fanboy.

Is it faster? Sure.
Is it better? Maybe
Will most people notice? Doubtful.
We can't change your mind, that is clear.

The point of the facial recognition is for security and ease of use. Not snapchat filters.

It is clear you have no appreciation for technology and the amount of effort people put into developing it further.

Another awesome thing is the wireless charging. Is it new? Nope! Android devices have had it forever. But guess what, just because the iPhone has it now, the world is going to change. Wireless chargers are going to be everywhere.
      10-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #140
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:

The point of the facial recognition is for security and ease of use. Not snapchat filters.

It is clear you have no appreciation for technology and the amount of effort people put into developing it further.

Another awesome thing is the wireless charging. Is it new? Nope! Android devices have had it forever. But guess what, just because the iPhone has it now, the world is going to change. Wireless chargers are going to be everywhere.

Snapchat filters

Maybe snapchat can incoorporate new filters exclusivly for the X. That would also build a market for it
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 10:14 AM   #141
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

This conversation has become painfully dumb.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #142
doogee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Agreed. Let’s just conclude:

Baller - iPhone X
Sensible - iPhone 8

Haha
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562960.50
      10-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #143
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I give up.

I tried...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #144
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Agreed. Let’s just conclude:

Baller - iPhone X
Sensible - iPhone 8

Haha
there's nothing wrong with being a baller, I like flexing.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #145
doogee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
there's nothing wrong with being a baller, I like flexing.
This is why no one is buying the iPhone 8
      10-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #146
sct911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Iphone 6 plus died a month ago and i replaced it with a Samsung note 8. The note is a decent phone for what it is and i will make it last until the iphone 8 plus replacement comes out next year. I will be going back to Apple, going android has just once again reminded me how androids just don't work right out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #147
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sct911 View Post
Iphone 6 plus died a month ago and i replaced it with a Samsung note 8. The note is a decent phone for what it is and i will make it last until the iphone 8 plus replacement comes out next year. I will be going back to Apple, going android has just once again reminded me how androids just don't work right out of the box.
Know exactly what you mean. I had a windows phone years ago and it never worked right, plus there weren't any apps. Haven't had any experience with Android but it has many of the same issues (though there are more apps, but there may be compatability issues and updates aren't pushed out to all devices, there's version framentation and bloat ware). The pixel devices are interesting though. I've been an iphone user ever since and haven't looked back.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #148
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:

How will it make things easier? I can unlock my phone with a finger and don't have to be in LOS - I don't have to potentially feel like I'm compromising my privacy by allowing a system to collect data like my appearance.

Quote:
What else can it do? Once more, ZERO practical application.

Saying it's changing things for sake of change is meaningless to me and the majority of people who aren't trying to deepthroat the next Apple press release.

Quote:
Wireless charging as it is now is a gimmick.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #149
doogee
Major
Rep

Quote:
How will it make things easier? I can unlock my phone with a finger and don't have to be in LOS - I don't have to potentially feel like I'm compromising my privacy by allowing a system to collect data like my appearance.

What else can it do? Once more, ZERO practical application.

Saying it's changing things for sake of change is meaningless to me and the majority of people who aren't trying to deepthroat the next Apple press release.

Wireless charging as it is now is a gimmick.

You’re right about every point you’ve made!

Let’s move on.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #150
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
You’re right about every point you’ve made!

Let’s move on.
I like to beat a dead horse.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #151
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
It's hard to be innovative. The car industry has basically not changed in decades.

What's wrong with making billions of dollars a year if people are going to buy it? Don't hate on Apple because they make something people get excited about and want to buy.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #152
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
TANGIBLE BENEFITS.

The Corrolla has better fuel economy, the M5 is quicker and faster.
Better facial recognition gives me better snapchat filters?

All of this hype behind this software and this is the best you can do. Pathetic.

OK. And?

Am I wrong? Does it magically change the functionality of it?
Yes, you're wrong...and many including me has tried to explain why. You just don't listen.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #153
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
It's hard to be innovative. The car industry has basically not changed in decades.

What's wrong with making billions of dollars a year if people are going to buy it? Don't hate on Apple because they make something people get excited about and want to buy.
Nothing to hate on or be mad about. I'm just pointed out that guys writing dissertations (which they are literally regurgitating from Apple's press releases) on how high tech the facial recognition software is can't name a benefit outside of opening and unlocking a phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #154
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Yes, you're wrong...and many including me has tried to explain why. You just don't listen.
1. Snapchat filters.
2. ....?
Appreciate 0