home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

03-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Drogon
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

Buying 2002 E46 M3 -- questions for the enthusiasts

Hey folks --

First, I've done my research and "STFA" -- I just have some overflow questions.

I'm looking at a few local 2002 M3s in the 40-50k miles range. I've made this decision because the car is below my price rage but I did not want to stretch and buy the new 335i, so I figured I'd go with a used car that puts out the same performance and has a nicer style to it.

First, if I'm buying private party, what should I be paying? Both sellers are looking for $33k. I know this is high -- should I come in at $28,000 or what? (again, 40-50k miles).

How much will be caught if I have a BMW dealer/independent mechanic inspect this car? Will that give me good peace of mind? I'm in Los Angeles if anyone can recommend a good dealer to do this.

If the rod bearing recall HASN'T been done, can I get it done and honored by BMW?

Is there anything else I should be looking for? How much $$$ do I have to set aside annually for maintenance and repairs? Someone on another board said $3-$4k annually -- is that really accurate?

Any other advice? I'm really looking forward to this. This was my favorite designed car for a LONG time and I'm jazzed that I can finally get behind the wheel of one.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
when you get high mileage car you can expect to break the $30k barrier especially if the car has 60k miles... a good thing.
However, over the horizon are some major cost lurking:

1. Maintenance II service, w/c includes a valve adjustment
2. maybe brakes/rotors
3. or tires

which can easily consume your savings.

a good PPI (1hr) should cost you about $115.00 a worthy investment, get the service history too with it.

the bearing recall can be done anytime, for some new owners dont ever get notified of that fact.

I would stick with MT for any repair facility can change clutches, unlike SMG which is pretty propriety.

GL, they are fun cars!
Appreciate 0