E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

05-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
AutoEntourage Bimmer Love
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 911 GT3

Considering an 2004 M3. Quick Question

I currently own a 2004 911 GT3 as a daily driver and want to make it a weekend car only.

My buddy has a 2004 M3 SMG for sale with 120,000 miles on it. The car has been maintained to spec. Anything I need to look out for? Should I avoid this car? Any info will be appreciated. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

find out about the rear subframe, if its been reinforced. if not have that looked at. also find out if the vanos has been gone thru. last the smg, find out what has been done there. i have 6mt so not sure what is involved but those tend to need attention also.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
bigwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

check rear subframe for reinforcement, you will need it. See if SMG pump has been replaced. Ask about vanos. Most bushings will need replacement.
Have a PPI done.
buying a used BMW is the same as a used Porsche. Have someone more knowledgeable than you check it out.

Search the various forums. There are different ways to fix the subframe. SMG pump replacement is $1K or more. Vanos has the Beisan fix, which most say is the cheapest and most effective. Just due to age, all the rubber in the suspension needs refreshing. If this will be your DD, stock is good. If this is the new track toy, some people like going with polyurethane, AKG or powerflex.
I just bought a 2003 M3 and planning to turn it into a track toy. Track insurance for an 11 CS is too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
AutoEntourage Bimmer Love
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwong View Post
check rear subframe for reinforcement, you will need it. See if SMG pump has been replaced. Ask about vanos. Most bushings will need replacement.
Have a PPI done.
buying a used BMW is the same as a used Porsche. Have someone more knowledgeable than you check it out.

Search the various forums. There are different ways to fix the subframe. SMG pump replacement is $1K or more. Vanos has the Beisan fix, which most say is the cheapest and most effective. Just due to age, all the rubber in the suspension needs refreshing. If this will be your DD, stock is good. If this is the new track toy, some people like going with polyurethane, AKG or powerflex.
I just bought a 2003 M3 and planning to turn it into a track toy. Track insurance for an 11 CS is too much.
For now thinking of using it as a DD, until it starts needing everything replaced. At that time I will turn it into strictly a track car. Gonna ask about the above mentioned. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoEntourage Bimmer Love View Post
For now thinking of using it as a DD, until it starts needing everything replaced. At that time I will turn it into strictly a track car. Gonna ask about the above mentioned. Thanks.
Good daily and can get 25mpg freeway easy
Appreciate 0