BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

04-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #23
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
I was offered the car and declined(he got it for about 40k) in October of last year. Here are some normal pics of the color which looks like a Camry. Also large dent in the rear quarter panel area, wonder how he fixed it.
If it weren't for you posting these pictures no one would have ever learned of the paint work. BAT has lost major credibility. How could you have confidence to buy a BAT car after this ?
Not sure this ultimately matters. Caveat emptor applies regardless of the auction house.

Even brand new cars are allowed to be sold as new if the dealer repairs damage in transit and it doesn't have to be disclosed.

The paint work looks good and if this guy didn't do the work himself nobody would've known if it weren't for internet detectives. I'm sure 50% of the cars on BaT have some back story or bodywork that isn't being disclosed. I bought my car and found dog hair under the seats before discovering the PO had a pet.

If someone really wants a not-quite silver stone E92 with very low miles it's a unique car.
I understand your point, but here both auction and seller were aware of this and it was not disclosed. I am surprised and disappointed that BAT did not disclose this. They have lost credibility in my mind.

Also, yes you can buy a new car that was previously damaged, but a dealer is obligated to disclose at a certain $ level. Further, they are obligated to disclose if you ask.
      04-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #24
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Red e92 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I was offered the car and declined(he got it for about 40k) in October of last year. Here are some normal pics of the color which looks like a Camry. Also large dent in the rear quarter panel area, wonder how he fixed it.
If it weren't for you posting these pictures no one would have ever learned of the paint work. BAT has lost major credibility. How could you have confidence to buy a BAT car after this ?
Not sure this ultimately matters. Caveat emptor applies regardless of the auction house.

Even brand new cars are allowed to be sold as new if the dealer repairs damage in transit and it doesn't have to be disclosed.

The paint work looks good and if this guy didn't do the work himself nobody would've known if it weren't for internet detectives. I'm sure 50% of the cars on BaT have some back story or bodywork that isn't being disclosed. I bought my car and found dog hair under the seats before discovering the PO had a pet.

If someone really wants a not-quite silver stone E92 with very low miles it's a unique car.
I understand your point, but here both auction and seller were aware of this and it was not disclosed. I am surprised and disappointed that BAT did not disclose this. They have lost credibility in my mind.

Also, yes you can buy a new car that was previously damaged, but a dealer is obligated to disclose at a certain $ level. Further, they are obligated to disclose if you ask.
You're assuming the seller was being honest when he said he disclosed the paint work to BAT and they omitted it from the listing.

I don't believe the seller.
Appreciate 2
WWM3956.50
ToddinTN504.00
      04-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #25
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
Quote:
This car is all about the color. The hood repaint is the main issue. Now BaT has revised the description and the seller has offered to forgive the high bidder if he wants to withdraw from bidding.
Another interesting detail is the build sheet calls for individual interior color which was swapped to normal at the factory. Another unique part of the story. Going forward this car will be standout as a documented mistake making it even more unique for collectors.

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #26
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep

As long as the paint job was done well and matched, I have no issue with the paint work. I'd rather have a front bumper with license plate holes filled in and no rock chips. And no rock chips on the hood. This is a bonus if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 02:05 PM   #27
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
As long as the paint job was done well and matched, I have no issue with the paint work. I'd rather have a front bumper with license plate holes filled in and no rock chips. And no rock chips on the hood. This is a bonus if you ask me.
This would only apply if there were clear and documented pictures/receipts to show the condition of the car prior to paintwork. Auction reconditioning is absolute garbage. Some auctions don't even have booths, just open bays where they repair and paint. They don't even take off bumpers.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 02:07 PM   #28
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
Quote:
This would only apply if there were clear and documented pictures/receipts to show the condition of the car prior to paintwork. Auction reconditioning is absolute garbage. Some auctions don't even have booths, just open bays where they repair and paint. They don't even take off bumpers.
The seller said he had the repairs done under his ownership. It wasn't done at the auction house so why are you saying that?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 04:13 PM   #29
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The seller said he had the repairs done under his ownership. It wasn't done at the auction house so why are you saying that?
The original pictures are from an auction house . If any repairs were done before the actual sale, they were done poorly. That is all I am saying.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #30
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The original pictures are from an auction house . If any repairs were done before the actual sale, they were done poorly. That is all I am saying.
The photos of the car with the front license plate drilled into it are from the auction house.

The seller bought it from the auction house and then he did the repairs. So it appears the auction house didn't do them, but I do agree with you that's a good thing that the auction house didn't do the repairs because they would be guaranteed to be shit.
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2021, 01:27 AM   #31
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just looked through the BAT ad, and this is a dealer sale.Likely the same dealer who bought it from wholesale and is now flipping it. Nothing wrong with that. I would love to see the auction condition report. Dealer has no Yelp page (that I could find) or website.

Same dent on right quarter panel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-06-2021, 04:01 PM   #32
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
A few months ago Rob Siegel, "the Hack Mechanic", sold a friend's BMW on BaT and noted the problem with BaT's description not including all the small flaw details. He did something smart and appreciated by the commenters. He made his own list of flaws and posted it as a comment when the auction first went live.

Appreciate 1
WWM3956.50
      04-07-2021, 04:49 PM   #33
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Auction closed with winning bid @ $68.5k. I'm curious what is the big driver here, the 1 of 1 color, or the story of a factory mistake?
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2021, 06:14 PM   #34
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Auction closed with winning bid @ $68.5k. I'm curious what is the big driver here, the 1 of 1 color, or the story of a factory mistake?
I'd say more the story. Rich people loveee a good story behind a car which is why certain Ferrari's command higher than a normal one even with the same color.

Someone buying it wants to be able to brag/tell that they now own this car and the story behind it.
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #35
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
I'd say more the story. Rich people loveee a good story behind a car which is why certain Ferrari's command higher than a normal one even with the same color.

Someone buying it wants to be able to brag/tell that they now own this car and the story behind it.
Yea and this is what I find comical. The color is just flat out ugly.

I would rather have a plain Jane black E90 6MT that was lower mileage.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #36
mrm3too
Pump that Bass
Rep
Drives: E36, Model 3, Cayenne S

Garage List
Not a fan of the color at all, but glad the auction did well.

1995 E36 AA M3
F80 M3 X Volk TE37s
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 05:38 PM   #37
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm3too View Post
Not a fan of the color at all, but glad the auction did well.
I'm a fan of the color according to the enhanced photos on BAT. Looks like Atlantis on there.

I'm not a big fan of the color in real life. It's much more gray and plain.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2021, 09:56 PM   #38
mrm3too
Pump that Bass
Rep
Drives: E36, Model 3, Cayenne S

Garage List
Yes BAT did a great job with the photos, hope the buyer isn't disappointed with it in person.

1995 E36 AA M3
F80 M3 X Volk TE37s
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 10:57 PM   #39
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Ding in the rear has been repaired pretty poorly, the fact you can still see where it was “fixed” in these photos suggests to me it would be worse in person.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 11:52 PM   #40
AGreenie
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 and 2013 M3 x2

Thank you for all the comments. Reading them was entertaining. I bought the car. I am GreggysDad on BaT (no child named Greggy in real life; however). I bought the car because I love E92 M3’s and I now have the only one made in this specific color (from the factory). It also has 20,000 miles, is a manual and has ZCP. The car is in great shape. I will drive the car less than 100 miles per year.

I purchased a black DCT ZCP with 28,000 miles last year, also on BaT, for $33,000. It is in really good shape as well, but the Atlantic Blue interior and 99% of the exterior are pretty much perfect. I will drive the black one less than 100 miles per year as well.

I purchased my original 2011 E92 in early 2012 and have loved them ever since. It’s a Silverstone Metallic DCT with ZCP and has about 50,000 miles on it now. I drive it 4-5 days per month and don’t worry about keeping it perfect.

My plan is to purchase a few car E92’s over the next 24-36 months and then sit on them. I believe they are going to keep appreciating in value. I only like OEM cars. I think so many of the E92’s have various levels of Mods, the OEM cars (with low miles) will appreciate even faster compared to other collectible cars.

I have always enjoyed reading posts on the E92 forum’s, but this thread pushed me to register. Thank you for that. This is my first post.
Appreciate 15
FMLYSDN1179.50
brettcp341.00
WWM3956.50
UPSROD941.00
Frozen570.00
911r887.50
pokerface428.00
akkando5860.00
Kelse921131.50
ando1954.50
      04-25-2021, 08:18 AM   #41
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGreenie View Post
Thank you for all the comments. Reading them was entertaining. I bought the car. I am GreggysDad on BaT (no child named Greggy in real life; however). I bought the car because I love E92 M3’s and I now have the only one made in this specific color (from the factory). It also has 20,000 miles, is a manual and has ZCP. The car is in great shape. I will drive the car less than 100 miles per year.

I purchased a black DCT ZCP with 28,000 miles last year, also on BaT, for $33,000. It is in really good shape as well, but the Atlantic Blue interior and 99% of the exterior are pretty much perfect. I will drive the black one less than 100 miles per year as well.

I purchased my original 2011 E92 in early 2012 and have loved them ever since. It’s a Silverstone Metallic DCT with ZCP and has about 50,000 miles on it now. I drive it 4-5 days per month and don’t worry about keeping it perfect.

My plan is to purchase a few car E92’s over the next 24-36 months and then sit on them. I believe they are going to keep appreciating in value. I only like OEM cars. I think so many of the E92’s have various levels of Mods, the OEM cars (with low miles) will appreciate even faster compared to other collectible cars.

I have always enjoyed reading posts on the E92 forum’s, but this thread pushed me to register. Thank you for that. This is my first post.
Congrats on your purchase. This platform will continue to grow in demand as the brand continues to churn out models like the G8X and the presence of electrification becomes ever more prevalent in the marketplace. Regardless of history, this particular car is a great buy. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 06:02 PM   #42
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=AGreenie;27513607]Thank you for all the comments. Reading them was entertaining. I bought the car.

GreggysDad- Thank you for chiming in to this thread. It is great to get "The Rest of the Story".

Appreciate 0