BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #23
YoitsTmac
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 328Ci

I didn't want to let the thread down, so today I drove an E46 M3 that I spotted on a dealer lot yesterday. It was a convertible, and it was a California cozy 76˚F outside. To whomever said they enjoy the seats of the E46 more, The E90 felt more like it fit me. I'm slender and kind of swam a bit in the E46 seat. The bolstering wasn't hugging me enough.

Thoughts: the brakes squeaked like crazy, as to no fault of the car (lot said they're new, I say yeah right. Forgot to check when I left), the steering was too light and the rack wasn't as tight as an E9x, that SMG is way worse as a daily and very jerky, but was definitely faster than the first one a drive back in 2015. Did it feel crazy faster than my 328? No, it was just enough faster to be noticeable. I feel it'd be my 328 to 80mph by only a second. I wasn't impressed. Although I enjoy the speed of the shifts in the E93, it was fun to downshift the E46. Perhaps that's the world telling my I'd be happier with a manual. I don't know, I feel like there's a lot to say but that's all that was noteworthy. The engine note kinda sounded...well trashy, in my opinion. I did feel like the engine was more response, it revved up quicker.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #24
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Damn I feel old after reading this...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #25
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyis300 View Post
Good story bro!
Best way to know? Is to experience it for yourself.
If your wowed! By a simple test drive? Then your reaction from driving one in M-mode will be price less.
By M-mode, you're referring to an F30 or F80 car, right? I had the E93 in the most aggressive settings
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
I just purchased my 2011 e90 m3 back in October and I absolutely love it. I love it more than any other car I have ever driven. Period. But I have found that maintainence on it can get rather pricy. And more expensive than work on the non-M models would cost. I am 36 and make 150k+ so I figured since I have wanted an m3 (e46, e90) then for 15 years, now was the time to do it before marriage and kids. And I got the 4 door in preparation. But the point is, if I did not make what I make (and I know over half of the guys on this forum make more than that) I would not have bought that car. It still makes me nervous.....
I completely understand the financial toll these cars are capable of. When I bought my E46, it was the top of my budget, and there were 3k of maintenance bills to follow. I still have another ~$1,200 in maintenance I should/need to do. Yes, it was my first purchase, and I wasn't even a hundredth of how smart I am now, so please don't lecture me about PPI or private owners or maintenance records. I learned the hard way. I know the M/// cars are even more expensive than non-M's, which require a lot of financial love as it is. Luckily I know my limits, but if I push myself theres no reason as to why I couldn't afford my maintenance in say 6 months (building up clients)
Clearly you don't know what I'm talking about? But i hope for the best on your journey for that next car purchase!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #26
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Don't get me wrong, I really don't mean to lecture you, think of it more as guidance from someone who has decent financial backing and also owns an e90m3. The car is awesome for sure but why push yourself so hard for just a car? Straining yourself to your financial max just to have this car seems difficult to justify. But of course it is your life so you will do as you will. Also, scraping together just enough to afford a down payment on an 08 m3 seems not worth it. Save up longer and buy a newer year with hopefully fewer miles, less wear/tear, less maintainence, less headache (even this is not an absolute however). I don't know because I haven't looked but will dealers even put an aftermarket warranty on an 08 with high miles? My bank wouldn't sell me one for my '11 e90m3 with 36500 miles on it. I had to get one elsewhere. And right now with the takata recall, you can't purchase the vehicle from a bmw dealer so not sure about getting their aftermarket warranty anyway. Just be careful. You have a while to enjoy your youth and build your career. Marrying a car like this at this early stage in your career may not be such a hot idea. And remember, you might feel a 100 times smarter now than previously, but at 35, you'll be a 100 times more savvy than you are currently, if natural progression continues of course. So whatever you do, seriously think it through.

On a more fun note, if you are gonna get one, get a 6spd manual. I have not had 1 automatic vehicle since I was 20, and the m3 is by far, the most pleasing manual I've driven. It's not that it's a super smooth shift, and the drive line is some what lashy, and i dont like the goose neck shifter with its vague, heftless feel(i switched it out for a zcp shift knob). It's just the way the car talks to you while you shift it and the ferocity of the v8 at high rpm is an intoxicating thing. But you are not in dad mode like me, so if you do go for it, get an e92, but hopefully not anything older than a 2011. I wish you the best of luck young man! I hope everything works out for you, just as you would desire it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #27
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Oh and by "m" mode, he/she means the little button on the steering wheel with the "m" on it which opens up full throttle response. It's quite a difference to non "m" mode in the way the car accelerates.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:31 PM   #28
YoitsTmac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyis300 View Post
Clearly you don't know what I'm talking about? But i hope for the best on your journey for that next car purchase!
Quote:
Oh and by "m" mode, he/she means the little button on the steering wheel with the "m" on it which opens up full throttle response. It's quite a difference to non "m" mode in the way the car accelerates.
A quick google led me to the BMW Technology guide explaining this. Completely missed it, but I don't feel like I missed out on too much with the settings I had it in. I did not launch it, and I'm sure that is something special.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I really don't mean to lecture you, think of it more as guidance from someone who has decent financial backing and also owns an e90m3. The car is awesome for sure but why push yourself so hard for just a car? Straining yourself to your financial max just to have this car seems difficult to justify........Marrying a car like this at this early stage in your career may not be such a hot idea. And remember, you might feel a 100 times smarter now than previously, but at 35, you'll be a 100 times more savvy than you are currently, if natural progression continues of course. So whatever you do, seriously think it through.

On a more fun note, if you are gonna get one, get a 6spd manual......get an e92, but hopefully not anything older than a 2011. I wish you the best of luck young man! I hope everything works out for you, just as you would desire it.
Didn't feel lectured and still don't, appreciate the two cents. I had my girlfriend look at this thread too, she likes to stay up to date on my nerdy car stuff (she's slowly transition into a car person, and a BMW one at that...she owns an Audi ), and the "stretching yourself" thing is one thing I brought up. Just as you said, I think there's a huge risk in spending most of your available money on, lets not pretend, a toy. If I want to put 20k down, I'd want to have at least 50k available. Don't get me mistaken, I'm not aiming to buy this car. It's a "I'd like to," but I'm too young to even consider it.

An ideal automotive situation would be a 1-3 year old COMFORTABLE-ish economy car (taken the largest depreciation) as a daily, convert my E46 to stick and have that for weekends, and then lastly get a "high performance" toy, most likely an E92. I have a HUGE emotional (and financial) attachment to my E46, and at this moment, I don't see a point where I'd ever get rid of it. I don't see myself as a person that would ever be too financially unstable to afford the maintenance of it past college. I do believe that an E92 that I REALLY liked (interior, options, color, manual) would be enough for me to be willing to get rid of my E46

Why nothing older than 11'? Just wondering. And I agree about the growing. My personal growth has become evident to my since I was 15, but I think this past year has been the most I've ever grown. I've done a lot of mature things in the past year: get a credit card, took a business course, started an independent business, got a car, work on a car and much greater mechanical understanding of how it operates, and have gotten a few "foot in the doors."

I think I said it, but I can't drive a manual right now. I haven't had an opportunity. In the E46 M3 I drove today, I was braking hard from ~80mph and downshifted the SMG into second, so I had to rev match. There was traffic and I couldn't afford to let off the brake, and I somehow heel-toad it perfectly It was so satisfying, I can't even describe it. I did it as if I've done it all my life! I'll probably seek out an opportunity here on the E46 forums this summer...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:24 AM   #29
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
A quick google led me to the BMW Technology guide explaining this. Completely missed it, but I don't feel like I missed out on too much with the settings I had it in. I did not launch it, and I'm sure that is something special.

Didn't feel lectured and still don't, appreciate the two cents. I had my girlfriend look at this thread too, she likes to stay up to date on my nerdy car stuff (she's slowly transition into a car person, and a BMW one at that...she owns an Audi ), and the "stretching yourself" thing is one thing I brought up. Just as you said, I think there's a huge risk in spending most of your available money on, lets not pretend, a toy. If I want to put 20k down, I'd want to have at least 50k available. Don't get me mistaken, I'm not aiming to buy this car. It's a "I'd like to," but I'm too young to even consider it.

An ideal automotive situation would be a 1-3 year old COMFORTABLE-ish economy car (taken the largest depreciation) as a daily, convert my E46 to stick and have that for weekends, and then lastly get a "high performance" toy, most likely an E92. I have a HUGE emotional (and financial) attachment to my E46, and at this moment, I don't see a point where I'd ever get rid of it. I don't see myself as a person that would ever be too financially unstable to afford the maintenance of it past college. I do believe that an E92 that I REALLY liked (interior, options, color, manual) would be enough for me to be willing to get rid of my E46

Why nothing older than 11'? Just wondering. And I agree about the growing. My personal growth has become evident to my since I was 15, but I think this past year has been the most I've ever grown. I've done a lot of mature things in the past year: get a credit card, took a business course, started an independent business, got a car, work on a car and much greater mechanical understanding of how it operates, and have gotten a few "foot in the doors."

I think I said it, but I can't drive a manual right now. I haven't had an opportunity. In the E46 M3 I drove today, I was braking hard from ~80mph and downshifted the SMG into second, so I had to rev match. There was traffic and I couldn't afford to let off the brake, and I somehow heel-toad it perfectly It was so satisfying, I can't even describe it. I did it as if I've done it all my life! I'll probably seek out an opportunity here on the E46 forums this summer...

That sounds very sensible and wise. At your age, focusing on your career, be it personal business and/or schooling is the way to go. Get established as quick as possible, then buy an F82 m4. Beast.

Also, I wouldn't convert your e46 to stick. Buy a sensible stick, and learn on it. A civic si is a good starting point. I learned when I was given my uncle's very old Mitsubishi Galant 5spd because I had no other car. I was 20. I drove around for hours with my gal at the time getting the hang of it. I was good in a week and clutch was fine. I used that car for a while after that. So it can be done if you are so inclined.

Lastly "M" mode gives the car a different feeling. I won't say completely different since it's the same car but non m mode feels like the engine is restricted in comparison. The best way I can describe it is that the car accelerates with greater ease; feels like the engine revs much noticibly smoother and faster. Brings the car alive in comparison.

Last edited by srmast1; 04-29-2016 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:53 AM   #30
YoitsTmac
Private
Rep

Quote:
That sounds very sensible and wise. At your age, focusing on your career, be it personal business and/or schooling is the way to go. Get established as quick as possible, then buy an F82 m4. Beast.

Also, I wouldn't convert your e46 to stick. Buy a sensible stick, and learn on it. A civic si is a good starting point. I learned when I was given my uncle's very old Mitsubishi Galant 5spd because I had no other car. I was 20. I drove around for hours with my gal at the time getting the hang of it. I was good in a week and clutch was fine. I used that car for a while after that. So it can be done if you are so inclined.

Lastly "M" mode gives the car a different feeling. I won't say completely different since it's the same car but non m mode feels like the engine is restricted in comparison. The best way I can describe it is that the car accelerates with greater ease; feels like the engine revs much noticibly smoother and faster. Brings the car alive in comparison.
Definitely schooling, just have to know what to declare soon
Bummer about M mode. I can't really go back and thrash the car again In either event, best I don't spoil myself quite yet
And about the stick, your only concern is learning "abuse" right? ex: clutch wear and possibly grinding gears?

Edit: won't do an F82. I hate turbo noises. I'm sorry, but the blow off and the sudden hit of power, it kind of kills my joy. It did in the M235i anyway. Supercharger wine...different story
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:13 AM   #31
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Talking

Yeah clutch wear, gear grinding, learning timing, learning how to listen to your engine for shifting cues, shifting while turning if necessary, staying in the power band, etc..you've just gotta practice. I love powerful manual transmission cars, turbo or otherwise. I've had a few turbo Mitsubishis: eclipse, Galant vr4 (and a old NA Galant 5spd), 3000gt vr4. All 5spds. Also last November I sold my 2011 sti 6mt which I had modified. That was a beast. They are quick stock, but that thing was scary quick. I just felt like it didn't properly fit a 36 yr old professional man, more for a younger guy. So, I got the m3 because it is a respectable sports car that is awesome fun to drive, unique, great for trips, furious driving and dates. It's brilliant. And its been my #1 desired car for 15 yrs. I was just always terrified of the maintenance /up keep, but i guess is now or never!. My only regret is no awd, which I do miss on my road trips to SF and LA. Other than that the car is wonderful thus far. Yeah declaring can be hard. I went through engineering, business, and math, until I found chemistry and bio and just did it. You can change your major at any time. It just could lengthen your course if you do it at the wrong time however. So dont feel locked in at this stage. School should probably be your #1 priority besides your chica. And i know turbo cars are awesome (to me), but the high revving v8 is tough to match for sheer driving bliss. Use that to pull you through school. An m3 was a motivating factor for me..Tangible goals are very important to have. A good career and family life are for sure important goals, but tough to actually hold and feel. However, my m3, a product of my career, is very touchable

Last edited by srmast1; 04-29-2016 at 02:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #32
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Only BMW dealers aren't supposed to sell cars affected by the airbag recall because they are the manufacturer brand. Other dealers Audi, Mercedes, Porsche can sell any affected BMW just like a private owners. it is not a strictly enforced law so even a BMW dealer will sell you an affected car. There is absolutely no problem for the dealer doing that. The only risk for the dealer is if you are the 1 in 10 millions who get injured by the airbag in the car they sold you AND you sue them but that would be not much different than a lawsuit from everyone else including original owners who bought the car before the recall. Plus the dealer has the full lawyers apparatus backup from BMW, he is just an intermediary his skin is not on the table.

Bottom line , you can buy any affected BMW anywhere you please, nobody will refuse to sell.

Last edited by Rajmun340; 04-29-2016 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:55 PM   #33
YoitsTmac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah clutch wear, gear grinding, learning timing, learning how to listen to your engine for shifting cues, shifting while turning if necessary, staying in the power band, etc..you've just gotta practice. I love powerful manual transmission cars, turbo or otherwise. I've had a few turbo Mitsubishis: eclipse, Galant vr4 (and a old NA Galant 5spd), 3000gt vr4. All 5spds. Also last November I sold my 2011 sti 6mt which I had modified. That was a beast. They are quick stock, but that thing was scary quick. I just felt like it didn't properly fit a 36 yr old professional man, more for a younger guy. So, I got the m3 because it is a respectable sports car that is awesome fun to drive, unique, great for trips, furious driving and dates. It's brilliant. And its been my #1 desired car for 15 yrs. I was just always terrified of the maintenance /up keep, but i guess is now or never!. My only regret is no awd, which I do miss on my road trips to SF and LA. Other than that the car is wonderful thus far. Yeah declaring can be hard. I went through engineering, business, and math, until I found chemistry and bio and just did it. You can change your major at any time. It just could lengthen your course if you do it at the wrong time however. So dont feel locked in at this stage. School should probably be your #1 priority besides your chica. And i know turbo cars are awesome (to me), but the high revving v8 is tough to match for sheer driving bliss. Use that to pull you through school. An m3 was a motivating factor for me..Tangible goals are very important to have. A good career and family life are for sure important goals, but tough to actually hold and feel. However, my m3, a product of my career, is very touchable
To be honest, I'm too worried about all those side effects. There won't be an alternative option when I'm ready to do the manual swap because the automatic in my E46 definitely will die within the next 3-4 years. I drive it VERY hard considering. Easier said than done, but I think I can pick up a stick quickly. I actually practiced once, but that was before I had mechanical understanding of how it works. But that is my opinion
Seems like you've had your fair share of fun cars, and I'm glad you've enjoyed them all so much! You get a little taste of everything, but sounds like you found your favorite.
I promise you school is my number one priority (and sleep). Even if I don't learn much (in some classes I haven't. My high school is in the top 300 of the US), the degree basically says "I make goals and I reach them. I'm capable of being given tasks and completing them correctly." Yes I can redeclare at any time, but I want to major in something business/numbers and minor in photography (for financial stability stake, and numbers are as natural as English to me). Depending which major I chose, depends on which college I can go to. Not many schools offer something "serious" and artistic. Props on bio. I'm currently taking Biology, a necessary course to transfer to a university, and it's harder than all my other classes combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII View Post
Bottom line , you can buy any affected BMW anywhere you please, nobody will refuse to sell.
Appreciate 0