BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

11-19-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
that_grey_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3 6 spd

Exclamation P0491 Secondary Air Injection System Insufficient Flow

I recently got two CEL codes last week on my M3 dash. After scanning the codes, the first one was related to my O2 sensors and the second one showed up as "P0491 Secondary air injection system insufficient flow BANK 1". I am having trouble finding the solution to this problem. I searched on the forums and many different answers have come up for this CEL code, such as replacing the air pump, coils, etc. There hasn't been one specific answer.

If anyone has had any experience with this code coming up on their M3 or knows how to fix it, that would be of great help to me!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
A few years ago I had a prob with secondary air pump. I don’t recall the code I got sorry, but it was a simple fix. The tube running from your intake elbow goes to the secondary air pump. What tends to happen is it splits somewhere or the attached sensor goes bad and codes get thrown. Not sure if this is what’s going on with your car but something to look into
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
that_grey_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3 6 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
A few years ago I had a prob with secondary air pump. I don’t recall the code I got sorry, but it was a simple fix. The tube running from your intake elbow goes to the secondary air pump. What tends to happen is it splits somewhere or the attached sensor goes bad and codes get thrown. Not sure if this is what’s going on with your car but something to look into
Great thanks! I will check that out.
Appreciate 0