BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #10583
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Well I'm glad Castrol SRF is back in stock @ FCP Euro! Placed an order along with engine air filter and oil change kit
Appreciate 2
Bartledoo2691.50
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      11-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #10584
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
That bottom part does get screwed up. I don't drive the MCS cars in winter and also didn't when I had JRZ and it still gets screwed.

I guess we're supposed to lube them from time to time
Might be worth asking JRZ/MCS as a customer. I don't expect bilstein to respond nor does it say anything in the installation manual.
I bought a variety of dust boots, but they likely won't arrive before my first drive with them. Probably not even by my first event.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #10585
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

Here is new one... I noticed that the upper radiator hose is slightly chewed up by the AC compressor pulley. I have no idea how this could have happened, as there is a small gap between those two parts. I did change my motor mounts recently, as the driver side was torn. Car is a 2013 ZCP DCT, with 26k miles on it. Anyone else ever notice this (or check) ?
Attached Images

Last edited by Adrian g.; 11-01-2019 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #10586
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

well, as the motor torques with old mounts, it may have been moving up and making slight contact. if its not contacting now, i wouldn't sweat it, but keep an eye on it. maybe put some tape over it to see if it is continuing to make contact...
      11-01-2019, 09:41 PM   #10587
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

mrs. beef's diesel is up for sale if anyone needs a dd.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...8#post25414388
      11-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #10588
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
Anybody here with eyelet shock mounts; especially at the rear lower camber arm experience any corrosion, grime/debris buildup and ultimately binding? I noticed all the major premium aftermarket shocks that use a monoball don't come with a dust boot: MCS, JRZ, Bilstein CS etc.
[IMG]https://www.bimmerworld.com/MCS_Rear_Shock_WM-2.jpg[/IMG]
I have MCS singles and replaced the heim joint/shock mounts about 4 years ago. I put 12k street miles and about 20 track days per year on the car. They're going out again. The heim joint has a lot of play and rattles when I hit bumps. I'm waiting for MCS to return my call so I can order another set.

That said, the dampers are amazing and bullet-proof. I had them rebuilt by MCS 1.5 years ago, but they didn't replace the heim/shock mount.
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 1
gmx166.00
      11-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #10589
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
well, as the motor torques with old mounts, it may have been moving up and making slight contact. if its not contacting now, i wouldn't sweat it, but keep an eye on it. maybe put some tape over it to see if it is continuing to make contact...
I will definitely check the new hose periodically. I'm just surprised that no one else has experienced this issue, with as many posts as I have seen on here with busted motor mounts.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #10590
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Crap pic but still , just wanted to share...

Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00
      11-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #10591
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Heh, I got some photos of it too. Went through the support paddock with two other guys on Saturday. That Audi LMP car was wicked!

Where were your seats? I was at turn 15.
      11-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #10592
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
Anybody here with eyelet shock mounts; especially at the rear lower camber arm experience any corrosion, grime/debris buildup and ultimately binding? I noticed all the major premium aftermarket shocks that use a monoball don't come with a dust boot: MCS, JRZ, Bilstein CS etc.
[IMG]https://www.bimmerworld.com/MCS_Rear_Shock_WM-2.jpg[/IMG]
I have MCS singles and replaced the heim joint/shock mounts about 4 years ago. I put 12k street miles and about 20 track days per year on the car. They're going out again. The heim joint has a lot of play and rattles when I hit bumps. I'm waiting for MCS to return my call so I can order another set.

That said, the dampers are amazing and bullet-proof. I had them rebuilt by MCS 1.5 years ago, but they didn't replace the heim/shock mount.
Does that require a rebuild?
      11-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #10593
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Heh, I got some photos of it too. Went through the support paddock with two other guys on Saturday. That Audi LMP car was wicked!

Where were your seats? I was at turn 15.
Turn 15 grandstand looks like a real good spot - how did you like the view?

Yeah, so much pure awesome that was staged in the support paddock - really liked how they had it set up this year too.

We do one of the turn 13 suites
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #10594
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Turn 15 grandstand looks like a real good spot - how did you like the view?

Yeah, so much pure awesome that was staged in the support paddock - really liked how they had it set up this year too.

We do one of the turn 13 suites
Turn 15 view was awesome, lots of action. You won't get the sense of speed since it's the slowest part of the track, however. I might do turn 1 or the start-finish next year. Mason helped me out with the single seat and ensuring I got a high enough row to not be looking through the fence. Super convenient with a lot of the food/beer and restrooms directly behind it so you aren't missing tons of action if you get up. Very close to my parking so I was able to exit fast once the stuff ended. Sun was behind us which meant my sunburn wasn't too bad...

Video I shot of the opening lap (4K60 if you go to YouTube itself):

OG Shark4692.50
roastbeef11586.00
admranger2984.50
      11-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #10595
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Turn 15 view was awesome, lots of action. You won't get the sense of speed since it's the slowest part of the track, however. I might do turn 1 or the start-finish next year. Mason helped me out with the single seat and ensuring I got a high enough row to not be looking through the fence. Super convenient with a lot of the food/beer and restrooms directly behind it so you aren't missing tons of action if you get up. Very close to my parking so I was able to exit fast once the stuff ended. Sun was behind us which meant my sunburn wasn't too bad...

Nice, you got to see a Mclaren overtake a Ferrari. Been awhile since that happened.
      11-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #10596
Chris_PDX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, NA Miata

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

You were really close to a friend of mine who was in that same section. Looked like a good corner to watch from.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #10597
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:

That spot to me looks to be the best place on the track for overall viewing. Are you high enough to get a view of the S's? Our suite is right across from you in between 13 & 14 - the temporary two story structures with the white canopy tops. And like you said super convenient + potential for a quick exit (I won't even try to leave for at least 3 hours if I can't get to my car quickly anymore, that traffic sucks).

I think watching from the start/finish once might be pretty cool for the start and finish - but everything in between might get a little boring. If you can see the podium afterwards that would be pretty cool too.

12 stands might be pretty good if you are in a spot you can still see from 12 to 15. Watching them come flying into 12 is probably pretty awesome. Our view of 12 is blocked until just right before they get to 12 - so we miss that sense of speed too and also most of the crazy braking they do there. Get to see them come down from 1 and then through the S's out the backside of the suite - pretty awesome to see how fast they fly through there!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #10598
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

I was on the hill at T1 for qualifying and the race, great view of the action. If/when I go again would definitely try T15 grandstand for a different perspective on one of the days.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 11:47 PM   #10599
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
how was the event overall? i always thought it would be cool to checkout austin and catch the F1 race. did you stick around after? anything cool in the general admission areas like they have at nascar?
      11-05-2019, 08:38 AM   #10600
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:

Is this the e92 M3 widebody GT with S62 car? I need that engine!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #10601
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That spot to me looks to be the best place on the track for overall viewing. Are you high enough to get a view of the S's? Our suite is right across from you in between 13 & 14 - the temporary two story structures with the white canopy tops. And like you said super convenient + potential for a quick exit (I won't even try to leave for at least 3 hours if I can't get to my car quickly anymore, that traffic sucks).

I think watching from the start/finish once might be pretty cool for the start and finish - but everything in between might get a little boring. If you can see the podium afterwards that would be pretty cool too.

12 stands might be pretty good if you are in a spot you can still see from 12 to 15. Watching them come flying into 12 is probably pretty awesome. Our view of 12 is blocked until just right before they get to 12 - so we miss that sense of speed too and also most of the crazy braking they do there. Get to see them come down from 1 and then through the S's out the backside of the suite - pretty awesome to see how fast they fly through there!

My view was unobstructed all the way from about halfway down the back straight until they enter the 16/17/18 complex. Heck, you can even look off in the distance and see them entering turn 7! (look up and to the right in my video)

My contact who sold me the ticket said the turn 15 grandstands are the most popular and sell out very fast.

I think start/finish would be cool for the obvious race start and podium, but it's also a DRS zone and you can see the pits. Just a different experience. As I said above, the turn 15 section lets you see the passing but you have no sense of the cars' speed.

I watched FP3 from the turn 18 grassy area (directly behind the soccer stadium) and the view wasn't bad either, considering it's just a GA ticket.
      11-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #10602
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
how was the event overall? i always thought it would be cool to checkout austin and catch the F1 race. did you stick around after? anything cool in the general admission areas like they have at nascar?

It was a fun weekend. They have so many events in between the various sessions, including support races for F4 and the "masters endurance" or whatever it was called. The fan forum at the amphitheater was really awesome: I got to see all of the teams do Q&A sessions up-close & sign autographs. Huge variety of displays, fan activities, shops, etc. They have the big music acts at the end of each night as well. Honestly, if you get bored there, you didn't walk around enough.

My advice would be to do the full weekend and spend time at different vantage points on the track during the FP sessions. COTA had an excellent app with interactive map, detailed schedule, Bluetooth beacons, the whole nine yards. Made it really easy to fill up the weekend.

Here's a few other photos from my trip. I'm trying to figure out if I can do a public iCloud album since I shot a few hundred photos and some other vids.
Attached Images

Last edited by dparm; 11-05-2019 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11586.00
OG Shark4692.50
      11-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #10603
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Just put on some new front calipers, braided lines, and DS2500 pads for an upcoming day at Thermal. I know many have said this is not actually an upgrade since I'm still using OEM rotors but I need to prove that to myself. Next upgrade would be rotors.
Attached Images

11-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #10604
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
Just put on some new front calipers, braided lines, and DS2500 pads for an upcoming day at Thermal. I know many have said this is not actually an upgrade since I'm still using OEM rotors but I need to prove that to myself. Next upgrade would be rotors.
Slonik kit? Would be nice to see some actual data for performance on track with these. Looking forward to hearing your results.
Appreciate 0