BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Switching IAT maps limit benefit of higher octane in heat?

I got wondering and would love input from someone who tunes and has seen all the different ecu maps. If for example you hit a certain IAT and say its 99 degrees out and IAT's consistently get to a certain point. My understanding is the car switches maps?

Does this higher IAT map include a generally lower degree of timing advance across the board? So when normally 32 degrees would it go to 28 degrees for example?

The reason why I ask is I was wondering if using higher octane 95-100 octane would hit a limitation of benefit in the heat because the ignition maps it is running would be limited by the IAT even though you put in enough octane to hit the original map timing, you don't even give it a chance since targets are set much lower due to IAT?
Am I making sense>
Appreciate 0