BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

05-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #23
StylePoints
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

The biggest reason I didn't get one in the first place, is because of the crappy audio system (and I know this may sound stupid to some of you). For a car that price, I do not understand why they can't put in a great audio system like our M3s. Yes I know its a sports car and you want to hear the engine roar and all, but there are days/times when your not redlining the hell out of the car and you just want to sit back and enjoy the music. I have over 1000 songs on my iPod and I can not live without music.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 03:42 AM   #24
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I loved my 997.1S, just like the E92 M3 better. Now if we are talking 997.2S different ball game, but it wouldn't be enough for me to switch. Now I am just trying to get my finances in order to get into a 991S,

I don't agree with you that everyone on this forum thinks the only decent 911 is a GT3 or turbo, its just the difference in performance isn't all that great until you get into a GT3 or Turbo for a 997.1 or .2, especially for the amount of money you spend.

My 07 997S

Dave
I hear what ur saying but jumping into a 991 may not make a lot of sense for several reasons, the biggest being $$$. The driving experience isn't as intimate as its predecessor and te entire car just feels bigger and less connected to the driver. It actually feels more like our m3's which may be a good thing but you lose the small sporty feel you get with the 997. I also prefer hydraulic steering over the electric system in the new car. Don't get me wrong the new car is beautiful inside and out but it just doesn't thrill or excite the same way my 997 does. I had the chance to buy a 997.1 turbo but I did not like all wheel drive or the turbo charged motor. I preferred a proper na aspirated engine rear wheel drive set up in the standard car. It's still plenty fast and can easily run side by side with cars that have 450 to 500hp. I've driven the gt3 and the gt3rs which is by far the best car I've ever driven. I dreamt about it for weeks after I drove and was set on buying one. But I came to my senses, realizing that I live in la and I'd be a complete moron to drive one out here. I'm quite content with my Porsche. If I had to give up one, it would definately be the m3 but it wouldn't be easy to let it go. I really love that car too.

Last edited by KKM3; 05-25-2012 at 03:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #25
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylePoints View Post
The biggest reason I didn't get one in the first place, is because of the crappy audio system (and I know this may sound stupid to some of you). For a car that price, I do not understand why they can't put in a great audio system like our M3s. Yes I know its a sports car and you want to hear the engine roar and all, but there are days/times when your not redlining the hell out of the car and you just want to sit back and enjoy the music. I have over 1000 songs on my iPod and I can not live without music.
There may be something I am missing, but what is stopping you from spending $1000 in a kick-ass audio upgrade, in any car? That's what I did in the M3, rather than coughing up $2k for the M audio.

And I have well over 3000 songs in my iPod and USB stick...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #26
StylePoints
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
There may be something I am missing, but what is stopping you from spending $1000 in a kick-ass audio upgrade, in any car? That's what I did in the M3, rather than coughing up $2k for the M audio.

And I have well over 3000 songs in my iPod and USB stick...
The biggest thing is the HeadUnit. I've spend over $5k in audio upgrades in past cars. But even with the amps, covers, components + subs - at the end you still need a good HU. And once you start taking out the stock and putting in the aftermarket HUs it just becomes a lot of custom work. Its just harder to sell later unless you rip everything out (which might not fit your next car). The M audio package is not spetacular by any means, but it is definately spectacular compared to the 997 audio.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #27
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
It seems as though everyone on this forum has the same train of thought when it comes to the 911. If it ain't a turbo or a gt3 it ain't a sh**. The 997.2 c2s will surprise most m3 drivers especially when gunning it at speeds over 80mph it will destroy our m3s, especially when equipped with pdk. I for one feel more confident in the handling of my 911 than I do with my m3. The amount of grip you get in the Porsche is just insane where as in the m3 ur slipping and sliding all over the place when stabbing the throttle. Don't sell the standard 911 911s short they are ultimately more rewarding and more fun to drive than an m3.
Well to each their own I guess. I definitely have more fun in my M3 (and I'm a die hard track fanatic). Hell I think a well setup and dialed in E46 M3 is a better/more fun car than the 997.1. Maybe I was thrown off by the balance and am simply not used to the car. In any case I found the engine unexciting even at WOT and the lack of mechanical limited slip is a complete turn off.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #28
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Well to each their own I guess. I definitely have more fun in my M3 (and I'm a die hard track fanatic). Hell I think a well setup and dialed in E46 M3 is a better/more fun car than the 997.1. Maybe I was thrown off by the balance and am simply not used to the car. In any case I found the engine unexciting even at WOT and the lack of mechanical limited slip is a complete turn off.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but the 997.2 does get you a mechanical limited slip diffy if it is selected (which is a mistake right there, I mean Mustangs come with LSD's standard).

I do think a lot of it is the car feels so much different than a front engined car, once you get used to it you learn to use it to your advantage. Where the M3 always seems to be looking for traction coming out of the corner, the PCar just sticks.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0