BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
EXXEL Distributions
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-18-2017, 05:03 AM   #23
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
3900
Rep
8,111
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

do you guys know if coding the light OFF will still activate the airbags in the event of a crash. i got a random airbag/passenger restraint system warning i would like to get rid of, but i still want the airbags to go off. i'm thinking the sensor might be jacked up... i have been told the bags will still go off.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #24
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2445
Rep
4,191
Posts

Drives: E90M, E92M, X5, Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

I've been told the driver's airbag goes off no matter what. I believe the passenger one won't though

When we drive to the track, I go in the passenger seat so my brother survives an event
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 07:28 AM   #25
Obioban
Emperor
550
Rep
1,870
Posts

Drives: 05 M3, 95 M3 euro, 01 M5, e91
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The seat occupancy sensor is to reduce the cost of a crash-- when you crash, if someone isn't in the seat, it won't blow the passenger airbag, making them not have to be replaced, making the crash cost less. Its function is to lower insurance rates.

When you disconnect and code the sensor off, the car assumes there is a passenger 100% of the time-- so, the bags will blow if someone is in that seat or not.

Last edited by Obioban; 06-19-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #26
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2445
Rep
4,191
Posts

Drives: E90M, E92M, X5, Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

That is great to know Ian, thank you for the info
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #27
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
3900
Rep
8,111
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
The seat occupancy sensor is to reduce the cost of a crash-- when you crash, if someone isn't in the seat, it won't blow the passenger airbag, making them not have to be replaced, making the crash cost less. It's function is to lower insurance rates.

When you disconnect and code the sensor off, the car assumes there is a passenger 100% of the time-- so, the bags will blow if someone is in that seat or not.
that was my thought process as well, but auto manufacturers don't always use logic. thanks for the confirmation.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #28
M3 Number 86
Major General
2530
Rep
5,372
Posts

Drives: black m3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (1)

Power Sliders?!?!?!?!?!

Niiiiiice!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #29
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2445
Rep
4,191
Posts

Drives: E90M, E92M, X5, Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Power Sliders?!?!?!?!?!

Niiiiiice!
It's so awesome!!
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #30
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
3900
Rep
8,111
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

I tried this in my e92 since the rear seat is out. I didn't feel like doing the rack and wanted to try all four in the back seat again... there is a little more room, but not as much as the e90 with the front seats that forward.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #31
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2445
Rep
4,191
Posts

Drives: E90M, E92M, X5, Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I tried this in my e92 since the rear seat is out. I didn't feel like doing the rack and wanted to try all four in the back seat again... there is a little more room, but not as much as the e90 with the front seats that forward.
do you run 'race' seats? because in the pics, this is position I drive in. There is tons of space behind me.

Stock seats lend themselves to a gangsta look. Bucket ones force you to be right up in the front
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #32
///Mobbin
Lieutenant Colonel
///Mobbin's Avatar
672
Rep
1,993
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

I just called and spoke to a Brey-Krause Engineer about my car and what parts to order, he recommended the following for an e92 m3 with driver's side Recaro Profi XL.

harness bar - r-1203 x 1 total
sub mount - r-9258 x 1 per side (not on website yet but recommended vs 59 part no.)
seat mount - r-9281 x 1 per side <-- even though Profi XL states 430mm it tapers at bottom so this is the recommended mount
harness lower clip ins - r-9289 x 1 (driver side part no)

harness lower clip-ins - r-9288 x 1 (passenger side part no)
__________________
2018 F80 m3 | 6MT | ZCP
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow2445.00

      06-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #33
M3 Number 86
Major General
2530
Rep
5,372
Posts

Drives: black m3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I tried this in my e92 since the rear seat is out. I didn't feel like doing the rack and wanted to try all four in the back seat again... there is a little more room, but not as much as the e90 with the front seats that forward.
That's because you're yoked! Lol
__________________
Appreciate 1
roastbeef3899.50

      06-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #34
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
3900
Rep
8,111
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I tried this in my e92 since the rear seat is out. I didn't feel like doing the rack and wanted to try all four in the back seat again... there is a little more room, but not as much as the e90 with the front seats that forward.
do you run 'race' seats? because in the pics, this is position I drive in. There is tons of space behind me.

Stock seats lend themselves to a gangsta look. Bucket ones force you to be right up in the front
Yea, I have oem seats. They are thicker as well. Makes sense.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #35
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2445
Rep
4,191
Posts

Drives: E90M, E92M, X5, Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Yea, I have oem seats. They are thicker as well. Makes sense.
I see. Upgrade to the BK bar!

I wish I had gone with a really comfy seat like the Pole Position or something. The seating position in mine is too aggressive
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 05:36 PM   #36
///Mobbin
Lieutenant Colonel
///Mobbin's Avatar
672
Rep
1,993
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I wish I had gone with a really comfy seat like the Pole Position or something. The seating position in mine is too aggressive
Now you have me looking at Leather Pole Positions $$ LOL

They look nice and comfy but I am 6'2" (longer legs more so than torso) and wondering if the shoulder holes will line up in the correct locations.
__________________
2018 F80 m3 | 6MT | ZCP
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #37
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2445
Rep
4,191
Posts

Drives: E90M, E92M, X5, Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Now you have me looking at Leather Pole Positions $$ LOL

They look nice and comfy but I am 6'2" (longer legs more so than torso) and wondering if the shoulder holes will line up in the correct locations.
Lol. I guess it depends on how seriously we're going to track. If it's real serious (hpde trophy contender) then the sparco ergo that I have with removable halos is real nice
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #38
bigjae1976
Major General
bigjae1976's Avatar
527
Rep
6,969
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wichita, KS

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Nice! I remember packing 9 wheels and tires into my E90. I still claim that to be the record!!! lol

I think this is a great solution for a dual duty car.
__________________
2015 F34 328iX GT Glacier Silver
2011 E90 M3 Monte Carlo Blue
2004 E46 M3 Imola Red
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #39
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2445
Rep
4,191
Posts

Drives: E90M, E92M, X5, Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Nice! I remember packing 9 wheels and tires into my E90. I still claim that to be the record!!! lol

I think this is a great solution for a dual duty car.
How did you manage that? Were they 10" wheels?

Without the passenger seat I could probably put 3 up there
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #40
bigjae1976
Major General
bigjae1976's Avatar
527
Rep
6,969
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wichita, KS

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
How did you manage that? Were they 10" wheels?

Without the passenger seat I could probably put 3 up there
18x10 wheels. I had to move my seat up a little but you can get 2 extras behind the seats, 6 in the back seat and 1 in the front. To get the 6 in the back seat, you have a lift the 2nd tire and slide one in there. I did remove my lower seat cushion.

To you point about harnesses, fixed backs and roll cages...

I totally agree. I'd rather be planted in the seat which will better allow me to avoid the rollover in the first place vs sliding around with a 3pt belt. I drove a stock Camaro on the track a month ago and I was reminded how it really sucks being thrown around.
__________________
2015 F34 328iX GT Glacier Silver
2011 E90 M3 Monte Carlo Blue
2004 E46 M3 Imola Red

Last edited by bigjae1976; 06-24-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #41
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2445
Rep
4,191
Posts

Drives: E90M, E92M, X5, Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
18x10 wheels. I had to move my seat up a little but you can get 2 extras behind the seats, 6 in the back seat and 1 in the front. To get the 6 in the back seat, you have a lift the 2nd tire and slide one in there. I did remove my lower seat cushion.

To you point about harnesses, fixed backs and roll cages...

I totally agree. I'd rather be planted in the seat which will better allow me to avoid the rollover in the first place vs sliding around with a 3pt belt. I drove a stock Camaro on the track a month ago and I was reminded how it really sucks being thrown around.
Good stuff bigjae, you're the man!

Since the first time I ran 4 points I have not used 3pts again. In student's cars it's just horrible if they don't have proper harnesses
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #42
///Mobbin
Lieutenant Colonel
///Mobbin's Avatar
672
Rep
1,993
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
I just called and spoke to a Brey-Krause Engineer about my car and what parts to order, he recommended the following for an e92 m3 with driver's side Recaro Profi XL.

harness bar - r-1203 x 1 total
sub mount - r-9258 x 1 per side (not on website yet but recommended vs 59 part no.)
seat mount - r-9281 x 1 per side <-- even though Profi XL states 430mm it tapers at bottom so this is the recommended mount
harness lower clip ins - r-9289 x 1 (driver side part no)

harness lower clip-ins - r-9288 x 1 (passenger side part no)
I ended up ordering Cobra Imola Pro-Fit GT seats (wider version) and after emailing with Cobra and Brey Krause was told the wider seat mounts would be preferred for these seats. Just ordered the following:

harness bar - r-1203 x 1 total
sub mount - r-9258 x 2 (not on website yet but recd by BK vs 59 part no.)
seat mount - r-9280 x 2 (wider OE slider rail mounts)
driver side harness lower clip ins - r-9289 x 1
passenger side harness lower clip-ins - r-9288 x 1

Then I ordered the MTC brand electric slider switches (much cheaper than the OE parts) and the recommended pin contact and bushing contact parts from the installation instructions. Also ordered a pair of Enduro harnesses.

Can't wait to get all of this installed and try it out!
__________________
2018 F80 m3 | 6MT | ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #43
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2445
Rep
4,191
Posts

Drives: E90M, E92M, X5, Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Awesome! BK is so knowledgeable, you're in good hands!
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin672.00

      07-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #44
///Mobbin
Lieutenant Colonel
///Mobbin's Avatar
672
Rep
1,993
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

I found this recent e46 electric slider install for reference:
e46 M3 BK Electric Slider Install
__________________
2018 F80 m3 | 6MT | ZCP
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST