BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #23
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Standard equipment in all BMW's
Too bad there's no delete option on this.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #24
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Beautiful, JBZ Black is a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Too bad there's no delete option on this.

Best regards, south
lol, you could always get it wet sanded...
      03-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #25
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
Beautiful, JBZ Black is a winner!

lol, you could always get it wet sanded...

Yeah, matt paint FTW

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 11:19 AM   #26
vietmunki
Private
Rep
Drives: 05 honda

Video isn't much but anything to feed our hungry stomachs.

03-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #27
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

I sat in this Jerez M3 Convertible at Geneva and had a good chat to the BMW reps on the stand.

A few interesting snippets that I was unaware of; firstly the paddles feel like metal and are much more positive and mechanical than the SMGIII paddles on the E46 M3. They 'click' softly and feel of a higher quality than SMG.

It still has drivelogic, adjustable as per SMGIII but BMW quote 0 second delay between gearchanges so rather than vary the time period of the change, with M-DCT the drivelogic function varies the 'feel' you get through the seat of your pants. So it 'simulates' a mechanical kick when changing to give the impression of a gear change. Only time will tell how natural this feels, but clearly BMW were concerned about maintaining the feel of SMG in this double clutch system.

There's still launch control operated in the same way, i.e. push forward the lever then hold down the throttle which keep the revs at 4500rpm, and then let go of the throttle for launch.

It felt good to operate in this stationary environment, so it all bodes well for the driving experience.

Jerez Blue looked stunning on this car, much better than I've seen it in daylight, so BMW have been lucky with the positioning of their display stand.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #28
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
I sat in this Jerez M3 Convertible at Geneva and had a good chat to the BMW reps on the stand.

A few interesting snippets that I was unaware of; firstly the paddles feel like metal and are much more positive and mechanical than the SMGIII paddles on the E46 M3. They 'click' softly and feel of a higher quality than SMG.

It still has drivelogic, adjustable as per SMGIII but BMW quote 0 second delay between gearchanges so rather than vary the time period of the change, with M-DCT the drivelogic function varies the 'feel' you get through the seat of your pants. So it 'simulates' a mechanical kick when changing to give the impression of a gear change. Only time will tell how natural this feels, but clearly BMW were concerned about maintaining the feel of SMG in this double clutch system.

There's still launch control operated in the same way, i.e. push forward the lever then hold down the throttle which keep the revs at 4500rpm, and then let go of the throttle for launch.

It felt good to operate in this stationary environment, so it all bodes well for the driving experience.

Jerez Blue looked stunning on this car, much better than I've seen it in daylight, so BMW have been lucky with the positioning of their display stand.
In some PMs with a BMW marketing person this "0 time" shift thing has become clear. What they mean is that since the shift is pre-selected there is 0 time spent actually moving selectors during the clutching operations. A super loose defintion of a "shift" IMHO. The clutching operation to me is an essential part of a shift and seems to be the only logical definition. This time will be somewhere between the "milliseconds" quoted in the M-DCT press release and about 100ms as the upper limit. My personal guess is closer to 50ms, maybe as little as 30ms.

The "feel" of the shifts will be controlled by software and hardware. On the software side the speed and phasing of the clutch operations, the fuel and or spark cutting and sequencing relative to the clutching and the automated throttle adjustments during the shift sequence. As well there is no escaping the rpms before and after the shift and the flywheel inertia.

It's going to be exciting.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #29
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Thanks Steve and Swamp for this. Yes, definitly exciting stuff. I've only ever owned MTs since I started driving 20 years ago ... so this is a big leap of faith for me!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #30
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Looks good...still not good enough to pass up cf though
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #31
CSL-Fanatik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e46 M3 CSL

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stranger View Post
Thats ok. Did the e46 have shift lights too?
Yup, LEDs in the rev counter, not just in the top part. It looks a little bit different, but not much. I am sure you will easily be able to find pics if you do a quick search.

Best,

CSL
      03-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #32
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Nice orange peel in the vent shot!
+1 ugh Great lighting for this colour ...

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #33
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Man I cant wait to drive M-DCT and I Hope i like it. I have always been the "Stick & Clutch" kinda guy as I had the 6 Speed on my E46 M3 and other cars, But I really wanna try something new and go with the M-DCT! I really cant wait to try it, especially as I read more and more about it, makes me want it even more!

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0