BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Closed Thread

05-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x M3

REVIEW: Benvo coding, cic retrofit, Euro MDM, Custom tuning.

Mike Benvo COMPLETELY OVERHAULED my m3!!! the car was good before he touched the car, but now the car is AMAZING! Thank you Benvo!

BACKSTORY:
I decided a few month ago I wanted to retrofit my 08 m3 CCC to a CIC retrofit. As my luck would have it, a good friend of mine practically gave me his CIC idrive. Having just the CIC and the CIC controller without the CIC screen I was lost on what or where or how to continue the retrofit. I reached out to Benvo and he assured me he could help and let me tell you guys, he REALLY knows his stuff.

THE WORK:
Fast forward a few weeks and Benvo happened to be traveling to the east coast, so instead of remotely coding my cic, he did it for me in person. He brought tons of equipment with him, which by the way all OEM tools!! Mike also sourced a few parts for me including a Cic screen and a latest version media snap-in for my iphone that he brought with him. All the parts he was able to get within a few days of ordering, knew what versions, and part #'s I would need.

Benvo was very helpful with the install, and knows exactly what he is doing, I am sure he has done quite a few retrofits. I would have been clueless without him. We installed, a 2011 euro cic, cic screen, baseplate, iphone 4 media snap-in, video wiring for baseplate, combox telematics, 6fl, glovebox usb. Benvo has full plug'n'play harness's for combox retrofits, CIC retrofit's, among a few other pnp harnesses. He helped with the install, and the pnp harnesses made the install SUPER clean, and as good as OEM.

Once installed, Benvo started coding the cic. Without coding, I would have not had audio, USA maps, bluetooth, Sirius, and Im sure there is a bunch I am missing. Benvo was able to get 2012 USA maps FSC for a great price, and coded the rest of the CIC to act like it came with my car. He coded premium M audio to the car, he got my external satellite tuner working with the cic, got the bluetooth working properly, added M drive settings to my CIC, BMW Live, BMW internet, turned off the annoying accept message at start up, DVD in motion, and the list goes on. The CIC retrofit was a 100% success, I could not be more happy!

Then Benvo worked some magic with the car's coding. He coded the car so when I lock the doors the windows roll up and the mirrors fold in. He deleted the corner led in the headlights, added the cornering lights to both come on when high beams are activated, turned off a bunch of the annoying gong sounds, upped the voltage on the angel eyes (you can actually see them now!!). Also, he turned off the auto correct on the digital mph cluster to show the exact mph you are driving, added the fuel efficiency option which tells you how to achieve optimum gas mileage.

Next, Benvo corrected the cars tune. I had problems with my powerchip tune, it had been acting funny, like no check engine light AT ALL. Mike knew exactly what was wrong, and not only corrected that but also did a full custom tune for my car. I have a few bolt on mods and my car felt ok before, but now the car pulls like a freight train!!! The car screams now, I fell in love with my car all over again. Matter of fact, after tuning, myself and Mike went for a test drive, and after the first run to 60mph, we looked at each other and just started laughing at how hard the car pulled. The tune REALLY woke the car up.

After that, Benvo also did some coding for my other car, a 335i with cic. Again adding BMW Live, setting the mirrors to fold and windows to go up upon locking the doors, custom welcoming lights.

The Aftermath:
I have had the Dinan Tune, the Powerchip tune, and now Benvo's tune... Benvo's tuning beats all the previous tunes hands down!! The CIC retrofit would not have been possible without Benvo. I had previously reached out to a few coding/cic retrofit vendors and none of them seemed all that interested in working with me, or even responding to my pm's, but thats neither here nor there. Like I said before Benvo knows his stuff, and his knowledge of our cars, and retrofits knowledge is endless. If anyone is thinking of retrofitting their ccc to CIC, or getting custom coding, or Euro MDM, or tuning, I implore you to reach out to Benvo. He is one of the most professional people I have ever worked with, and I would also like to mention that Benvo is a great guy, honest, and made me feel 100% comfortable diving into all the mods. Thanks again Benvo, I am digging all the new stuff!!!

CIC:
Back to the CIC stuff. Here are some pics of the CIC coding Mike did.

Cic Retrofit

3d Maps, ( thats NYC)

Satellite Maps

M Drive coded into my CiC

DSC off added to M Drive

Bluetooth coded as the donor cic did not have bluetooth

Bluetooth A2DP streaming

Bluetooth Streaming Pandora, with Album info

Playing music from iPhone plugged into USB

Car is now coded to work with my dealer installed external Sirius radio

Coded Vehicle info to work with my car properly

BMW Internet

Efficiency Dynamics

Instant MPG

Corner delete and brighter angel eyes

MORE PICS TO COME!!

Last edited by mazda3ndp; 05-25-2012 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Great to hear! Mike definitely knows what he's doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks Tech, I agree 110%! I would also agree the same could be said about you!

If anyone is interested in reading my other more in depth review of euro mdm, and Benvo's custom tuning, click here
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda3ndp View Post
Thanks Tech, I agree 110%! I would also agree the same could be said about you!

If anyone is interested in reading my other more in depth review of euro mdm, and Benvo's custom tuning, click here
Thanks man. Kind of you to say.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Julius@Style77
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Great work. Being able to do all that is simply amazing. Great write up
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
DKM3
Bimmerpost Special Prosecutor II
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Hey CiC buddy! Mike just did mine too. Looks great. Make it feel like a brand new car again doesn't it?

"The Aftermath:
I have had the Dinan Tune, the Powerchip tune, and now Benvo's tune... Benvo's tuning beats all the previous tunes hands down!! The CIC retrofit would not have been possible without Benvo. I had previously reached out to a few coding/cic retrofit vendors and none of them seemed all that interested in working with me, or even responding to my pm's, but thats neither here nor there. Like I said before Benvo knows his stuff, and his knowledge of our cars, and retrofits knowledge is endless. If anyone is thinking of retrofitting their ccc to CIC, or getting custom coding, or Euro MDM, or tuning, I implore you to reach out to Benvo. He is one of the most professional people I have ever worked with, and I would also like to mention that Benvo is a great guy, honest, and made me feel 100% comfortable diving into all the mods. Thanks again Benvo, I am digging all the new stuff!!!"

I completely agree!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3 View Post
Hey CiC buddy! Mike just did mine too. Looks great. Make it feel like a brand new car again doesn't it?

"The Aftermath:
I have had the Dinan Tune, the Powerchip tune, and now Benvo's tune... Benvo's tuning beats all the previous tunes hands down!! The CIC retrofit would not have been possible without Benvo. I had previously reached out to a few coding/cic retrofit vendors and none of them seemed all that interested in working with me, or even responding to my pm's, but thats neither here nor there. Like I said before Benvo knows his stuff, and his knowledge of our cars, and retrofits knowledge is endless. If anyone is thinking of retrofitting their ccc to CIC, or getting custom coding, or Euro MDM, or tuning, I implore you to reach out to Benvo. He is one of the most professional people I have ever worked with, and I would also like to mention that Benvo is a great guy, honest, and made me feel 100% comfortable diving into all the mods. Thanks again Benvo, I am digging all the new stuff!!!"

I completely agree!
Yea I just took my car out this morning, alittle rainy out, but man the car is insane now! Loving every moment
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
very nice
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep

fixed a few pics. had the wrong pics up for the corner light delete
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

Does he come to San Diego?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
Does he come to San Diego?
I do occasionally. Just contact me to coordinate, or we can do it remotely

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
European Radio Issue

In December, I took delivery on my M3 at Welt. Despite the correct paperwork (and price), BMW messed up and treated my diplomatic deliery as a European Delivery.

So despite the fact that they could and should hae coded the car for Europe, they coded it for Canada.

I can deal with the side marker amber lights being on, and not having rear fogs (the latter I will fix locally) but the radio is a safety issue. Italy and Switzerland have really long tunnels and there have been some horrific fires. So now you are required to tune into specific FM radio broadcasts which will advise of an evacuation. Unfortunately, in Europe FM boradcasts on both even and odd decimals (eg 97.0). BMW could not find a way to resolve this.

Mike did! At the same time he adjusted angel eyes brightness, added traffic information, put Auto Start Stop on remember last setting, upshift notification, instant fuel economy, disable iDrive accept message, etc.

We did it remotely of course. Apart from the 9 hour time zone difference and an airport express base station hanging off my balcony things went smoothly.

Mike is great to deal with and seems to have a better understanding of what can be accompished than BMW.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread