BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
ian27
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4, 2009 E92 M3

Akrapovic X-Pipe Advise

First time poster, long time reader. Hope to get some insightful opinions/suggestions!

Just got my hands on an 2009 E92 M3 & would like to get some opinions on exhaust setup. Car came with an Akrapovic slip-on muffler and stock midpipes.

Looking to get more sound from the exhaust, so looking at options to do a full decat (primary & secondary) as well as a resonator delete similar to the GT4 system, but in stainless steel. Not sure how the sound would be like combining stainless steel mid pipes to a titanium akra muffler. Has anyone done this & have clips of it? I want to maintain that deep bassy and howling sound which I currently have, but would also like to experience a little of that raspy-ness and exotic sound from the S65. My concerns are the smell as this is my daily driver.

Would adding HFC (100/ 200 cell) or 2 resonators be a better bet in terms of reducing the smell? I also plan on doing a tune, where I've read HFC gives more hp. Will I be loosing out on a significant power gain with a full catless setup as compared to one with HFC or resonators? Mainly looking to gain extra torque which I feel this car needs!

*The exhaust will be done at my local exhaust shop, so it's pretty customisable and not stuck with pre-built/ designed ones by vendors

Would love to hear your suggestions & thoughts!

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
Rochen_00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

I spent a season with a completely decat xpipe, and I can assure you that it smells of smoke. For me, the ideal would be a decat but only with some 100 cell HFCs.

In terms of sound, the combination of stainless steel with titanium I have no idea how it could sound

Right now I have a complete akrapovic evo line

Alpinemss Tuned | Tecnocraft E9X ///M3 Envy™ Intake System | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | Ohlins Road&track| BBK Brembo 6p Front & Brembo 4p Rear| H&R Stabilisator| Solid subframe bushings| full spherical bushings| Recaro pole position
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

There are a lot of videos on YouTube.

My Akrapovic slip on is getting installed this week and I plan to eventually add HFC x pipe down the road. I know I never want catless (minimal performance gain over HFC compared to the smell you now deal with)

A catless and resonatorless stainless steel setup is like a GT4 on steroids. Here are a few on YouTube.

These are resonated catless setups which I think sound perfect (but I don't want the smell). The macht Schnell video does have a supercharger.

Then here is a HFC setup to help with smell, still would need tune for CEL as primaries are deleted and the HFC is in secondary location. I do think the stainless x pipes add more volume over a titanium piece. I think the challenge sport x pipe videos below are louder than evolution videos (although they are identical x pipes with primary decat, HFC secondary, and resonators just stainless vs titanium)

I think a perfect solution may be primary decat and HFC secondary like the EVO and challenge sport x pipe, but to delete the resonator. This may get you a tiny bit more volume on par with the catless setups but not the smell. As far as I know there is no x pipe on the market that is HFC and resonatorlesss. It would have to be custom.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:53 PM   #4
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2016 F23 M235i

No resonator = drone city.
      08-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
ian27
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochen_00 View Post
I spent a season with a completely decat xpipe, and I can assure you that it smells of smoke. For me, the ideal would be a decat but only with some 100 cell HFCs.

In terms of sound, the combination of stainless steel with titanium I have no idea how it could sound

Right now I have a complete akrapovic evo line
Hey man! Appreciate the response. Do 100 cell cats vs 200 cell cats make much of a difference in terms of sound and power? Which would make more power and which would make more sound? Also, would you happen to know if the highflow cats in the Akra Evo line are 100 or 200 cell?

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 09:22 AM   #6
ian27
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
There are a lot of videos on YouTube.

My Akrapovic slip on is getting installed this week and I plan to eventually add HFC x pipe down the road. I know I never want catless (minimal performance gain over HFC compared to the smell you now deal with)

A catless and resonatorless stainless steel setup is like a GT4 on steroids. Here are a few on YouTube.

These are resonated catless setups which I think sound perfect (but I don't want the smell). The macht Schnell video does have a supercharger.

Then here is a HFC setup to help with smell, still would need tune for CEL as primaries are deleted and the HFC is in secondary location. I do think the stainless x pipes add more volume over a titanium piece. I think the challenge sport x pipe videos below are louder than evolution videos (although they are identical x pipes with primary decat, HFC secondary, and resonators just stainless vs titanium)

I think a perfect solution may be primary decat and HFC secondary like the EVO and challenge sport x pipe, but to delete the resonator. This may get you a tiny bit more volume on par with the catless setups but not the smell. As far as I know there is no x pipe on the market that is HFC and resonatorlesss. It would have to be custom.

Hey dude, thank you for your response and opinions! Really hepful. Do share some clips of yours when you have it installed! Same question as above, would you know if 100 cell cats vs 200 cell cats have a huge difference in terms of power and sound?

But yup, will definitely require a custom fabrication. Just thinking whether or not to go with 100 cell or 200 cell. Defo no resonators for me
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Rochen_00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian27 View Post
Hey man! Appreciate the response. Do 100 cell cats vs 200 cell cats make much of a difference in terms of sound and power? Which would make more power and which would make more sound? Also, would you happen to know if the highflow cats in the Akra Evo line are 100 or 200 cell?

Thank you in advance
I honestly don't think it's a big difference in terms of power. Obviously, the less restrictive the xpipe is, the more sound.
The akra evo install 100HFC

Alpinemss Tuned | Tecnocraft E9X ///M3 Envy™ Intake System | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | Ohlins Road&track| BBK Brembo 6p Front & Brembo 4p Rear| H&R Stabilisator| Solid subframe bushings| full spherical bushings| Recaro pole position
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 04:31 PM   #8
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
First time poster, long time reader. Hope to get some insightful opinions/suggestions!

Just got my hands on an 2009 E92 M3 & would like to get some opinions on exhaust setup. Car came with an Akrapovic slip-on muffler and stock midpipes.

Looking to get more sound from the exhaust, so looking at options to do a full decat (primary & secondary) as well as a resonator delete similar to the GT4 system, but in stainless steel. Not sure how the sound would be like combining stainless steel mid pipes to a titanium akra muffler. Has anyone done this & have clips of it? I want to maintain that deep bassy and howling sound which I currently have, but would also like to experience a little of that raspy-ness and exotic sound from the S65. My concerns are the smell as this is my daily driver.

Would adding HFC (100/ 200 cell) or 2 resonators be a better bet in terms of reducing the smell? I also plan on doing a tune, where I've read HFC gives more hp. Will I be loosing out on a significant power gain with a full catless setup as compared to one with HFC or resonators? Mainly looking to gain extra torque which I feel this car needs!

*The exhaust will be done at my local exhaust shop, so it's pretty customisable and not stuck with pre-built/ designed ones by vendors

Would love to hear your suggestions & thoughts!

Thanks in advance
Which X pipe did you go with?

By the way is there any rasp with your current set up stock X pipe with Akra cat back?
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 11:40 AM   #9
ian27
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post

By the way is there any rasp with your current set up stock X pipe with Akra cat back?
I have not pulled the trigger on any X pipe yet. Still conducting some research!

No rasp with the current stock x pipe and Akra muffler.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2021, 03:28 AM   #10
dsu*
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: no rides, i walk =)

Do you guys have any drone with Akra slip on and aftermarket midpipe? Or Akra full evo? Buddy of mine has Akra Evo and said the drone between 2500-4000 rpm is pretty serious, feels like the whole car is buzzing.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 05:18 AM   #11
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsu* View Post
Do you guys have any drone with Akra slip on and aftermarket midpipe? Or Akra full evo? Buddy of mine has Akra Evo and said the drone between 2500-4000 rpm is pretty serious, feels like the whole car is buzzing.
Probably has an exhaust leak at the rear, im running akra slip with a bw header/x setup and it is fair to say this setup is quiet and doesnt drove ever. No other exhaust can quell a loud midpipe setup like the akra.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 08:21 AM   #12
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I have not pulled the trigger on any X pipe yet. Still conducting some research!

No rasp with the current stock x pipe and Akra muffler.
By the way - because you asked in your original post - the full Akra evo system is not all titanium. Yes the rear section is titanium, but the evo X pipe is stainless steel and why it is a lot cheaper (even though it also comes with cats and resonators) than the GT4, which is titanium. The full GT4 system is incredible.

At the track when you are outside watching a v8 M3 scream by you with the GT4 system, you can "feel" the sound going through your chest. It's insane.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 11:22 PM   #13
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
By the way - because you asked in your original post - the full Akra evo system is not all titanium. Yes the rear section is titanium, but the evo X pipe is stainless steel and why it is a lot cheaper (even though it also comes with cats and resonators) than the GT4, which is titanium. The full GT4 system is incredible.

At the track when you are outside watching a v8 M3 scream by you with the GT4 system, you can "feel" the sound going through your chest. It's insane.
The Evo X-Pipe is titanium as well. It’s not stainless steel.
Appreciate 1
pjk38088.00
      10-07-2021, 01:45 AM   #14
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I had the Akra X-pipe before and now have the Evolve X-Pipe. I was hoping to cut down on the smell my wife hates but it still smells about the same. I didn't notice much in terms of sound difference.
Evolve said they played with catless and 200cpi cats and there wasn't much difference in power in the secondary location.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0