BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

08-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #45
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Here the Muellerized track prepped Evo vs a track prepped Viper at Laguna Seca. They are racing in SCCA ITE class.

Edit: Not Mueller driving but it's Mueller's car.

Last edited by Z K; 08-05-2013 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #46
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

also had a IX and X, regretted the X. too heavy, gearing too short, quite thirsty, though the handling is insane. IX was raw as hell.

but both cars had one major flaw that would prevent me from ever owning one as the only car again.

turbo lag.

especially in summer heat with a/c, first gear from a stop is completely useless. i spent 2 yrs daily driving these Evos and put over 60k miles combined.

super fun at night when it's cool and when you're in a spirited mood. but after a long day at work coming home all the rattles and squeaks and exhaust done eventually got to me.

maybe look into the new CLA45 amg? Not sure if you mind not having a 3rd pedal as your only car/DD...i know i can't, but for me the CLA is a grown up/mature Evo/STi - AWD, turbo, DCT, sounds like win on paper. plus the exhaust note sounds better than the Evos though not better than the STi IMHO (also had one...inside a GC8 body)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #47
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
plus the exhaust note sounds better than the Evos though not better than the STi IMHO (also had one...inside a GC8 body)
That flat four exhaust note sound is pure sex.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #48
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
also had a IX and X, regretted the X. too heavy, gearing too short, quite thirsty, though the handling is insane. IX was raw as hell.

but both cars had one major flaw that would prevent me from ever owning one as the only car again.

turbo lag.

especially in summer heat with a/c, first gear from a stop is completely useless. i spent 2 yrs daily driving these Evos and put over 60k miles combined.

super fun at night when it's cool and when you're in a spirited mood. but after a long day at work coming home all the rattles and squeaks and exhaust done eventually got to me.

maybe look into the new CLA45 amg? Not sure if you mind not having a 3rd pedal as your only car/DD...i know i can't, but for me the CLA is a grown up/mature Evo/STi - AWD, turbo, DCT, sounds like win on paper. plus the exhaust note sounds better than the Evos though not better than the STi IMHO (also had one...inside a GC8 body)
As you mentioned, the Evo 8/9 are more raw, lighter and more immediate than the Evo X. But the Evo X's handling was superior. Evo 8/9 tend to understeer from the factory. Evo X will swing the tail out like a RWD car.

I never really found lag an issue. The car was a rocket from 3k to 6k rpm all the time. But then living in SF the temps never top 80 degrees even when it gets "hot".

I did get rid of it because of the daily driving problems you mentioned. The car only felt right when you were driving at a track. I'd hate driving the Evos for daily driving and then fall in love with it on fun drives. The M3 is much more balanced, I can enjoy it driving at a sane speed as much as I can on a track.

The CLA just looks really ugly to me. The whole body is big and bloated with tiny wheels. It looks like someone took a CLS and shrunk the front and rear but left the center cabin the same size.
      08-07-2013, 04:05 AM   #49
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
As you mentioned, the Evo 8/9 are more raw, lighter and more immediate than the Evo X. But the Evo X's handling was superior. Evo 8/9 tend to understeer from the factory. Evo X will swing the tail out like a RWD car.

I never really found lag an issue. The car was a rocket from 3k to 6k rpm all the time. But then living in SF the temps never top 80 degrees even when it gets "hot".

I did get rid of it because of the daily driving problems you mentioned. The car only felt right when you were driving at a track. I'd hate driving the Evos for daily driving and then fall in love with it on fun drives. The M3 is much more balanced, I can enjoy it driving at a sane speed as much as I can on a track.

The CLA just looks really ugly to me. The whole body is big and bloated with tiny wheels. It looks like someone took a CLS and shrunk the front and rear but left the center cabin the same size.
agreed with everything, including the CLA bit. though i've usually been able to forgive a car's exterior if its performance is up to par lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
That flat four exhaust note sound is pure sex.
yes sir!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #50
Robertyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT-R

I LOVED my EVO-9, and I wish I never sold it. I've had a '90 Laser Turbo, a '92 Talon AWD, and EVO-8, and a 9. I was heavily into the 4G63s, racing them, and am still a member on NABR.

That said, I simply would not daily drive an EVO at my age, now 47. I don't care about the image to the average person on the street, but the clients and military brass I deal with would definitely have a negative opinion when I drive up in a nice loud EVO. The opinions of such people mean very much to my career.

Now with all of that said... If we still had a track on this island, you bet I would have an Evo as a track toy.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #51
EvolutionX
Rep
Drives: Evolution X

Sorry for bumping a few month old thread. I'm new here and system wouldn't let me start a new thread just reply to one. But it's somewhat on topic.

I own a 2012 Evo X converted to E85 and getting 397 AWHP and 371 Tq. I have always loved BMW's, especially the M3. Loved them since the one with the big flared fenders came out. I have owned a few but never an M3. Between my girlfriend and I we had a 535, 330, 550, new 5 series with the turbo (forgot the model) and a 135. The new M3 is my favorite by far. The exhaust note is amazing. How some run around with a stock exhaust muffling that beautiful sound is crazy. (Not really crazy, I understand some people like stock, or not so loud)

Anyways the point of my post is when I get bored at times I will go to other car forums and search "Evo" just to see what people say about them. That's what I did last night and found this thread. I was pretty amazed at the amount of positive comments and how many had owned an Evo or more. Other sites like Camaro and Mustang mostly blast the Evo.

I guess sometimes we get it in our heads that owners of a certain car are at odds with other car owners. I was so impressed with what was said here and the respect for the Evo even by people that would never own one that I texted my friend with an Evo the link.

I understand it may not matter to you what I think of M3 owners but I just thought I would post this.

Evo is my first Japanese car. Before it I have only owned BMW and Land Rover. I didn't even think the Japanese made real sports cars. Figure they only made cars for people that think getting to work and back is the main purpose of a car. I was shocked. But have since realized that the Evo is very misunderstood car by most. And surprisingly enough from what I read here, many of you get it. It's not about MPG, trunk space, folding rear seat or pretty interior like so many non Evo people complain about. It's just about driving.

It has become sort of a test for me to be able to pick out "car people". When they get the purpose of the Evo, even if they would never want one, they understand cars for their real purpose. Driving.

BTW I'm 44 in November and don't care about the stereotype that it's for kids. The Evo guys I hang with, even if young, are mature and respect cars.

That's my book, sorry if you fell asleep. Just wanted to voice my respect for your respect.

If you live in the Irvine, Aliso Viejo area and you see a white Evo with black wheels, loud exhaust and yes the WING it's me. I'll wave back! (Saw another post here about M3 owners not acknowledging other M3 owners) it's almost mandatory that an Evo driver acknowledges another Evo driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #52
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionX View Post
Sorry for bumping a few month old thread. I'm new here and system wouldn't let me start a new thread just reply to one. But it's somewhat on topic.
Wow, long post! For me it is the opposite. I've always owned Japanese sports cars before buying an M3.

I guess because I was always active in motorports, going autocrossing, track events etc. - European cars always seemed bloated, overpriced and not good bang for your buck. They still aren't but I daily drive all my cars and I got really tired of driving my Evo every day. It's great to blast around twisty roads and on track it is amazing but driving it every day it wore me out. The best compromise I could find that had a good performance chassis but still had refinement to drive every day was the M3.

I don't really care for the BMW badge or having leather seats but I do care about performance and comfort, and the M3 delivers. But if I could get another Evo as a track toy, I would totally go for it.
      10-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #53
EvolutionX
Rep
Drives: Evolution X

LOL yea I can get wordy. Got so much stuff in my head and it just pours out.

But I hear you. I am at the opposite end at this time in my life. I was looking for Raw. I love the harshness of the Evo and actually just purchased coilovers so I can make it even more stiff if I choose.

I actually started out looking at M3's when I decided to trade my Rover in. But was looking at the 2005. Once I read all the reviews on the Evo and test drove it, I just felt it was better bang for the buck and so inexpensive and easy to get to about 400hp at the wheels that I had to get it. I swore all my cars would have leather but with the Evo's Recaros leather just didn't seem to go with what the car was about to me. It's really the first car I have owned that I don't ever plan on selling. Most of the time I'm bored after a year and a half and trading it in at two years. I'm just as excited waking up in the morning to drive it now as I was 2 years ago, maybe more so since it has over 150hp more.

When it's paid off if like to keep it and get a M3 or GTR. Hard for me to have two cars though because it's too difficult to choose which one to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Wow, long post! For me it is the opposite. I've always owned Japanese sports cars before buying an M3.

I guess because I was always active in motorports, going autocrossing, track events etc. - European cars always seemed bloated, overpriced and not good bang for your buck. They still aren't but I daily drive all my cars and I got really tired of driving my Evo every day. It's great to blast around twisty roads and on track it is amazing but driving it every day it wore me out. The best compromise I could find that had a good performance chassis but still had refinement to drive every day was the M3.

I don't really care for the BMW badge or having leather seats but I do care about performance and comfort, and the M3 delivers. But if I could get another Evo as a track toy, I would totally go for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #54
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Socalevo.net
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #55
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom
I'd buy a used Evo X and add it to a garage with an M3. DD the M3 in good weather and drive the best winter car (Evo X) during snow/rain.
Exactly what I just did, can't wait to try the X in the snow!! )
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #56
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I have 2 buddies down here in Toronto with Evo's, I went for a pull in one and it blew my mind. I think it would make the perfect DD/racecar.
|Gintani Supercharged|Gintani X-Pipe|Stack Gauges|Volk TE37SL|BC Racing Coilovers|Nitto NT05R |BMW Performance Spoiler|BMW Performance Steering Wheel|BMW Performance Side Gills + Grilles|Mode Carbon V1 Endurance|IND Tri- Stitched Shift + Brake Boot - 566WHP, 371WTQ |
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #57
Lucrecio84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTE92 m3/ F10 CP M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
I've notice some people here have come over from EvolutionM and had evo 9s from various posts.

I currently am on my second e90, this one is a 2009 CPO car w/ 40k and under warranty until 2/15. I also really miss my past Evos, the last one being a 06 evo 9 with 350-400 hp. Car was very quick, handled better than anything else, and I have been a die hard Mitsu/4g63 car for years so I know them very well. That being said, I constantly miss that car, and can't believe the value on 2006 9 cars. I sold mine for 26.5 in 2007 and it's worth around the same if not a few $$ less for a qaulity example.

Sooo, I have been on the fence about selling the m3 for a nice 400hp daily Evo 9. I know the pros and cons, just looking for feedback. Anyone else go back? I just turned 31 and have had 25-30 cars so I recognize I have issues and really just love cars.

So what say You??
I came from an Evo 10 myself and out of all the cars I've had, it was the most fun street car to drive! Can't really beat turbo AWD! I miss it also, only thing is that I kept getting in more trouble with it (speeding tickets) than any other car also lol. Not to mention insurance is MORE per month for me than my brand new m3 Just having turned 29 I do feel as if the m3 is more appropriate. I guess its all circumstantial. Can't go wrong either way tho
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #58
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

At some point though, its about the class of car not the performance. I dont understand the school of "gtr is better than (insert exotic here)" because its faster lol
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #59
206_m3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: YAS F80 M3

I had an Evo 9 MR and I don't miss it at all. I really love the M3. It is my first German car and certainly won't be the last. Maintenance costs are a little higher than the Evo 9 that's for sure. Overall I just feel the build quality is so much better than the Evo 9 I had.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #60
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
At some point though, its about the class of car not the performance. I dont understand the school of "gtr is better than (insert exotic here)" because its faster lol
Typical poser snob talk
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #61
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3
Quote:
Typical poser snob talk
Huh? Have you had an evo ix?

I had an evo ix mr with 425/411 to all four wheels with suspension mods and the oh so lovely jdm rear and yes i had fun in that car and yes it was fast. And i used to think why buy an m3 when you could have an awesome evo for 30k less. After driving one though, it quickly changed and is nowhere the combination of refinement and performance in one car as the ones we drive now.

So yes, coming from a w20 mr2, an s2k, integra gsr, integra type r, evo ix, and now an m3, i strongly believe at some point it is about class (not to say look at me i made it - but of the car: quality, refinement) and not just pure performance. Im sure my list of cars noted makes me worthy of a snob poser
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #62
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep

Quote:

So yes, coming from a w20 mr2, an s2k, integra gsr, integra type r, evo ix, and now an m3
Sorry for the OT, but wow I thought I was looking at my old stable here lol

My past cars include a bolt-on 91 mr2 turbo, a bolt-on AP1 s2k, an Integra gsr, a bolt-on Evo 9, among a few others

And I completely agree re your comment moving from the Evo to M3. My IX pulled the crap out of my buddy's stock e92 M3, but after driving the M3 I instantly understood it why costs what it does. The cars are in a totally different class, but the Evo is super fun when it's not in summer heat and struggling to spool the frigging' turbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #63
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken
Quote:

So yes, coming from a w20 mr2, an s2k, integra gsr, integra type r, evo ix, and now an m3
Sorry for the OT, but wow I thought I was looking at my old stable here lol

My past cars include a bolt-on 91 mr2 turbo, a bolt-on AP1 s2k, an Integra gsr, a bolt-on Evo 9, among a few others

And I completely agree re your comment moving from the Evo to M3. My IX pulled the crap out of my buddy's stock e92 M3, but after driving the M3 I instantly understood it why costs what it does. The cars are in a totally different class, but the Evo is super fun when it's not in summer heat and struggling to spool the frigging' turbo.
Damn same cars! That is really strange but i guess good taste in cars for the times?

Evos are fun. Just wanted to upgrade. Nothing wrong with that right?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #64
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionX View Post
LOL yea I can get wordy. Got so much stuff in my head and it just pours out.

But I hear you. I am at the opposite end at this time in my life. I was looking for Raw. I love the harshness of the Evo and actually just purchased coilovers so I can make it even more stiff if I choose.

I actually started out looking at M3's when I decided to trade my Rover in. But was looking at the 2005. Once I read all the reviews on the Evo and test drove it, I just felt it was better bang for the buck and so inexpensive and easy to get to about 400hp at the wheels that I had to get it. I swore all my cars would have leather but with the Evo's Recaros leather just didn't seem to go with what the car was about to me. It's really the first car I have owned that I don't ever plan on selling. Most of the time I'm bored after a year and a half and trading it in at two years. I'm just as excited waking up in the morning to drive it now as I was 2 years ago, maybe more so since it has over 150hp more.
I had two Evos, an Evo 8 and Evo X. Both were great performance cars. I found the Evo 8/9's seats fit better, the Evo X didn't have lumbar support so my back hurt during long (3 hour+) drives.

I have coilovers on every car I've owned. It is usually the first thing I change because it has such a big effect in the handling of car. Power-wise stock is fine for me but handling has to be on the dot. Most Evo guys go for power first... which is fun on the street but on track, power doesn't make as big a difference as handling. My Evos ran Ohlins DFV coilovers... great stuff. Handles so well and isn't uncomfortable on the street. The M3 right now is on KW V3 coilovers.. it was the first thing I changed. The stock suspension is pretty soft.

When I say refinement, I'm not talking about leather everything, soft ride, cool gadgets and a BMW badge etc. I'm talking about something I can live with every day. I can drive a Corolla and it feels 10x more refined than the Evo. It doesn't tire me out on long drives and I can drive it around and feel comfortable in it. I was actually thinking of buying a Civic or Corolla as a DD in addition to the Evo... then I figured I'll just spend a bit more and get a car that does everything.
      11-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #65
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
sounds pretty arrogant maybe (?). if this is a competition I have bought and sold a house @ 25-26 in NY and have also owned cars and financed cars. My first car was bought with a savings bond and I have been buying/selling since. I have never really lost much and My money is in the bank; let the banks finance my cars @ 2%. thanks for the financial lesson though
Look what I can do...hahaha Thanks for this. Douche.

On topic, I would be uncomfortable to drive a small chick car no matter how much HP it got.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #66
GotE46M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few M cars.

Funny I'm actually planning on selling my Evo IX for a M3... I love the Evo and hands down one of the best overall cars I've driven (thats not a DD). But daily driving the Evo is horrible with LA traffic so I'm going for something more comfortable/luxury.
Appreciate 0