BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

01-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
DB
M3/Raptor
United_States
Rep
Drives: to the track

Summit Point/Jefferson Circuit Thoughts

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Jefferson Circuit at Summit Point compared to the other circuits there? I want to try some new tracks this year and I am wondering whether the Jefferson Circuit is worth the drive (about 3.5 hours) or if I should wait for events at the other Summit Point tracks. I have several other tracks within a similar range, so no need to get to this one if people don't enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Jefferson Circuit at Summit Point compared to the other circuits there? I want to try some new tracks this year and I am wondering whether the Jefferson Circuit is worth the drive (about 3.5 hours) or if I should wait for events at the other Summit Point tracks. I have several other tracks within a similar range, so no need to get to this one if people don't enjoy it.
It's fine however it doesn't have the run off areas like VIR. Make a mistake and you might be kissing the concrete barriers sooner than you think @ summit.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

I think you're confusing Jefferson with Shenandoah. The Jefferson you'll either hit a tree or a berm, but not many concrete walls.

The Jefferson is a good place to learn car control/throttle control, think of it as a high speed autox. There are some good increasing/decreasing radius turns. It's small and gets boring after awhile though. Find a club that runs it both directions, going one direction each day. That really makes it unique as I can't think of any CW/CCW tracks in the north east. The Jefferson also has it's own skidpad, hopefully you get to spend a good amount of time on it.

My first track event (2006) was on the Jefferson...a group called Cone Killers. Learned so much that day.

Good luck!
      01-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Jefferson circuit is OK - Car54's description is accurate...it's like a giant autox course. Personally I would not make a 3.5 hour drive to run only on Jefferson circuit.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Car54
Captain
Rep

DelVal chapter runs a pretty good three day school usually in April. Jeff for two days, both directions; then Main on Monday.
      01-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
DB
M3/Raptor
United_States
Rep
Drives: to the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
DelVal chapter runs a pretty good three day school usually in April. Jeff for two days, both directions; then Main on Monday.
That is the event I am thinking of going to, but I am not sure yet if I will be able to stay for Main on Monday. If I can't do Monday, I am thinking of staying closer to home with a NJMP event, taking a extra trip (probably in May) to Watkins Glen and then trying to get to Summit Point later in the year.

Related question: VIR is about a 7 hour drive for me, but I am hearing that it is worth it?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Related question: VIR is about a 7 hour drive for me, but I am hearing that it is worth it?
Absolutely!!! VIR is well worth a 7 hour drive - it takes me almost 5 hours and I've made the trip several times in a fixed-back race seat
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Car54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That is the event I am thinking of going to, but I am not sure yet if I will be able to stay for Main on Monday. If I can't do Monday, I am thinking of staying closer to home with a NJMP event, taking a extra trip (probably in May) to Watkins Glen and then trying to get to Summit Point later in the year.

I think of Thunderbolt as a slightly larger Jefferson...both not that exciting. There's a lot to be said for trying new tracks for the sake of trying new tracks.

VIR is a must if you live in the north east, just be sure for your first time there, get plenty of rest and be there for 2 days. Don't try to drive after work and get there at midnight for a 8am drivers meeting.

You got first world problems.