BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #67
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Lol i love the full blown investigation into this. Nothing will come of it.
Facts
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #68
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Idk about you but I intend to serve justice!

...via the internet
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #69
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Quote:
Idk about you but I intend to serve justice!

...via the internet
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 12:07 AM   #70
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksm3 View Post
Yes it's my car in the profile pic. It's a full track car minus full welded 8pt cage.
Also to answer the last individuals post, I came in to the dealership with 104.8 on my trip odo. Please click the pics below, iPhone time stamped and all and I added dates.
CRAP! I mixed those photos around in my mind. My bad. The saga continues.

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #71
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

OP, have you looked at the actual metadata for each of your 2 photos? It's possible that the photo album app in your iPhone is accidentally flipping the 2 pics and driving us all crazy.

Not likely, but worth double checking. If you don't know how to check, PM me and I can help.

Would be good to rule that out. Very odd all around.
Appreciate 2
wfdeacon881105.00
tooloud10760.50
      12-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #72
Thik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey E92 M3 6spd

So many very skeptical people here. It's a BMW dealership, anyone working there has access to many way more powerful cars than the E92 M3. People think the E92 M3 is a LaFerrari or something. You really think they would go through all that hassle to joyride a 10 year old car then intentionally roll the mileage back? The odometer changed probably due to the reset in computer. The gas gauge is off a bit probably due to change in ambient temperature. Keep calm and drive on.
Appreciate 4
      12-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #73
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Yea cuz one thing all us M3 owners experience is having MORE gas than expected
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #74
JDM_CL9
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
I thought when you drive the car in reverse, the odometer rolls backwards?
      12-17-2018, 03:18 AM   #75
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thik View Post
So many very skeptical people here. It's a BMW dealership, anyone working there has access to many way more powerful cars than the E92 M3. People think the E92 M3 is a LaFerrari or something. You really think they would go through all that hassle to joyride a 10 year old car then intentionally roll the mileage back? The odometer changed probably due to the reset in computer. The gas gauge is off a bit probably due to change in ambient temperature. Keep calm and drive on.
I agree...but I have a full race car minus full welded cage.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #76
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thik View Post
Agreed, the people insisting that there's all this 'evidence' that the car was joy-rided have concocted quite the story here. The evidence only shows that the odometer is different by a single mile and not how it ended up that way.

You'd have to have quite the committed BMW tech that would go through the trouble of doing all of this, and I highly doubt he could even do it all on his own. Changing an existing cluster mileage would require a work order and paper trail at a minimum. Ferrari went through this a while back and there was a big uproar that the dealers could change mileage at will. There's zero chance that BMW allows unfettered access to this kind of thing.

Beyond that, the mileage isn't just stored in the cluster--it's in the key and in the ECU as well.

This is a rounding issue of sorts, not a conspiracy.
      12-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #77
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Ok, assuming the pictures are real, here's my theory: as we all know, the mileage in our bmws is stored in multiple places. However, I believe the synchronization b/w modules is not instant, but rather occurs at certain intervals, which results in up to 100 miles (or km?) discrepancies in modules at any given moment. Just like when you comfort access remote, when scanned at a dealership, may be missing the most recent mileage & other info. And mileage in the dash is not the ultimate one, so to speak, i.e. it can overwritten with numbers from other modules - this is why you need to 'virginize' a used cluster when upgrading/replacing, otherwise you get a tamper indicator if the cluster mileage is significantly (>100 miles?) less than in other modules. So, it's possible we have a rather unique situation where during the service some modules were programmed/updated, and the cluster mileage ended up being updated with what was the last mileage recorded by other module(s) a bit earlier, during the last sync.

Again, this is just a theory based on assumptions the pics are valid, and my limited knowledge of bmw electronics.

Cliff notes: aliens!
Appreciate 1
tooloud10760.50
      12-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #78
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Ok, assuming the pictures are real, here's my theory: as we all know, the mileage in our bmws is stored in multiple places. However, I believe the synchronization b/w modules is not instant, but rather occurs at certain intervals, which results in up to 100 miles (or km?) discrepancies in modules at any given moment. Just like when you comfort access remote, when scanned at a dealership, may be missing the most recent mileage & other info. And mileage in the dash is not the ultimate one, so to speak, i.e. it can overwritten with numbers from other modules - this is why you need to 'virginize' a used cluster when upgrading/replacing, otherwise you get a tamper indicator if the cluster mileage is significantly (>100 miles?) less than in other modules. So, it's possible we have a rather unique situation where during the service some modules were programmed/updated, and the cluster mileage ended up being updated with what was the last mileage recorded by other module(s) a bit earlier, during the last sync.

Again, this is just a theory based on assumptions the pics are valid, and my limited knowledge of bmw electronics.

Cliff notes: aliens!
Well said and some great Info!
My pictures are real and accurate. I honestly don't know or how to approach this further at this point.
My car is not my daily. Only track and she is stored in my garage. I honestly don't have the time more the effort to move forward with this but again...I'd like a logical reason and explanation.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #79
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Update:

BMW corporate reached out to me after I emailed them, so this is what she told me over the phone after I emailed all my info along with pics...

"Everything seems normal Mr Zak. Our team of investigators went through all the information you submitted and what the dealer ship had submitted along with the work performed....that being said your computer was reset due to the recalls that were performed. Only miles out on the car were anything less than 60 feet of driving it. Hope we answered all your questions"

Safe to say my car wasn't aka........raped?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #80
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksm3 View Post
Update:

BMW corporate reached out to me after I emailed them, so this is what she told me over the phone after I emailed all my info along with pics...

"Everything seems normal Mr Zak. Our team of investigators went through all the information you submitted and what the dealer ship had submitted along with the work performed....that being said your computer was reset due to the recalls that were performed. Only miles out on the car were anything less than 60 feet of driving it. Hope we answered all your questions"

Safe to say my car wasn't aka........raped?
Probably, but its still weird. I've never seen this happen on any other car myself.
wfdeacon881105.00