BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Went on my first car run yesterday.....

and I'm not really sure how I liked it! Those of you that know me, know I'm not an overly aggressive driver. However, my worst fears were confirmed yesterday. The drive was over 250 miles encompassing windy mountain roads with some good straight aways. There were about 10 cars and I was about the 6th in the line up. Before I knew it, the cars behind me were passing me out even though I was going 90-100 mph. They were passing out anyone who drove any slower that was in front of them. Turns out they were cruising at 120-140 mph. I call bull sh-t on that and I was upset as we were not the only cars on the road. They all knew my concerns and begged me to come along. One guy actually left early as he almost lost it going around one of the curves and really got scared.

One of the guys was super nice and understood I had never driven my car that fast and on those kind of roads, and he hung back with me. My question is...is this how most runs are? I found it to be very stressful and not much fun. I also found it rude that some of the guys involved kept teasing me over lunch and telling me they wanted to see some M3 muscle. (I had the onlyM3 in the group) To which I replied that I refuse to drive outside of my comfort zone, and they knew that going in. With that being said, I wasn't driving like a Grandma either.

There is another run coming up next month, and I really don't know if I'll go or not. So, it all just got me wondering if this is what most runs are like?

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
We're all likely guilty of some spirited backroads driving, but you only have the right to risk your life, and not the lives of others. The only suitable place for what you're referencing is the track. Sorry they teased you, but if they're willing to be that reckless, especially with other peoples' safety, then they're not smart enough for you to care about their opinion - and they're compensating. I think you did the right thing by pulling back. Thanks for being sensible.
      03-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
We're all likely guilty of some spirited backroads driving, but you only have the right to risk your life, and not the lives of others. The only suitable place for what you're referencing is the track. Sorry they teased you, but if they're willing to be that reckless, especially with other peoples' safety, then they're not smart enough for you to care about their opinion - and they're compensating. I think you did the right thing by pulling back. Thanks for being sensible.
Thank you for this, as that's exactly what I thought.

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Chachi112
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 CTS-V Coupe, 2015 M3

Wow sorry to hear about your bad experience. That doesn't sound pleasurable at all...I've been on a number of runs and sadly some have turned out like this but others turned out to be nice rides with other friendly enthusiasts
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Yep, do what keeps you in your comfort zone.

One of the things with this car is that it makes you feel a better driver that you are...this is where some folks eventually get in trouble. Luckily from what you described, nothing happened.

There's a time and place for everything.
      03-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Cheryl, this is how we get all those "I wrecked my car" threads. Anyone who teases you for being responsible on public roads is an asshole and not worthy of your time. You should spend some time at the track honing your skills and then invite anyone who dares to go there with you. Then you can show your muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I agree 100% with Mike's post! Never let anyone pressure you into driving like that on the street and, if they try, then just go in a different direction. Mike is spot on in recommending that you go to the track - what I've noticed over the years is the people that do all of the "street" talking are always the slowest ones on the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Cheryl, this is how we get all those "I wrecked my car" threads. Anyone who teases you for being responsible on public roads is an asshole and not worthy of your time. You should spend some time at the track honing your skills and then invite anyone who dares to go there with you. Then you can show your muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
I agree 100% with Mike's post! Never let anyone pressure you into driving like that on the street and, if they try, then just go in a different direction. Mike is spot on in recommending that you go to the track - what I've noticed over the years is the people that do all of the "street" talking are always the slowest ones on the track.
Guess what you guys.......I am going to the track!! I actually bought a Livingsocial deal for classroom instruction and 4, 20 minutes track sessions.
It's at Firebird raceway here in Phx. Now my biggest fears are putting on a used, sweaty helmet and the fact that I may get addicted to the track!! Thanks for the support about the run. You know I will be posting on my first track experience...stay tuned!

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

I'm all for some "spirited" driving but that sounds reckless. Driving that fast should be saved for the track. If they make fun of you for not being reckless with them then they are probably not the kind of people you want to associate with. Eventually something bad will happen when you're pushed outside of your comfort zone.

When I lived in Tucson I got together with some local guys for a drive and it was a similar situation. They left me in the dust on a road I had never driven and 10 minutes in a guy crashed into a tree. He jumped in someone else's car (he was not hurt) and they all took off again. When we got to our destination they gave me a hard time for being so slow, even the guy that left his car against the tree. I never went anywhere with them again.

If you're not a member already, consider joining the BMWCCA and go to one of the HPDE events. It's off public roads and you'll have an instructor in the car with you, teaching you about driving techniques. It's probably the safest way to have a great time in your car around other like-minded enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadub View Post
Guess what you guys.......I am going to the track!! I actually bought a Livingsocial deal for classroom instruction and 4, 20 minutes track sessions.
It's at Firebird raceway here in Phx. Now my biggest fears are putting on a used, sweaty helmet and the fact that I may get addicted to the track!! Thanks for the support about the run. You know I will be posting on my first track experience...stay tuned!
Awesome! You WILL have a GREAT time and come away with an appreciation for what a great car your M is even when completely stock. The only problem is after going to the track once there's a very good chance you'll want to go again - invest in a new helmet now and then you won't have to worry about putting on a used, sweaty helmet
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

You will love it and come away with a new appreciation for your car, driving and how bad the motoring public is. And go buy a helmet. Even if you never use it again, its a cool piece to have around as conversation starter

Or you could do what I do. Just wear it back and forth to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I have gone on a lot of caravan runs over the past few years and I def know what your talking about. I myself do not enjoy driving all out on the HWY or any other non track locations. It is a common theme with all caravans I seem to go on that its all about who can go the fastest and show off their cars speed and exhaust note.

What I usually do is just roll at the speed that I am comfortable at and if that means I show up late or slightly behind the group I am ok with that. So my advice to you would be to do the same. If you are not comfortable driving at the caravan speeds don't. Enjoy the drive and catch everyone at the end point.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I have no clue. I wouldn't say I have experienced anyone going 120-140mph but I can remember the first caravan I went on the group was going 100mph on a stretch of road that I had never gone over 65 on! I remember just being in shock on how fast everyone drove and was a little scared to go on another caravan again! So what I do now is just go at my own speed and if thats not fast enough its not fast enough thats why I have Nav ill find the end spot

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Good for you...that's careless driving with other cars on the road here in the US. That's better suited for the autobahn with educated drivers that are accustomed to high speed driving. Well, since we don't have either, save that speed for the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
How do people routinely drive in packs at 120-140mph and not get arrested and anally raped in jail? 140mph is Akon style locked up, they won't let you out and your clothes is orange.
...and the food is garbage.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
newbieguy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11' Space Gray E92 M3

Quote:
How do people routinely drive in packs at 120-140mph and not get arrested and anally raped in jail? 140mph is Akon style locked up, they won't let you out and your clothes is orange.
+1

seemed like the majority of the group in that run are immature bunch of folks.
      03-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

I agree that the track is your safest bet. You will probably get addicted and become a regular like many others. This is one reason I have not gone on the track as you may need a part time job just to finance everything that comes along with tracking your car . Don't feel pressure from anyone as your safety should be your number one priority.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

The first HPDS I went to I felt bad because everyone was driving faster and felt like I was in the way and mentioned it to my instructor. He told me no one should ever drive out of their comfort zone and that anyone who didn't take the time to develop their skills and learn their car was asking for it. Solid advise although I suspect he was also trying to calm me down a little. Since then I had been doing a couple events per year and if I said I was a good driver because of it I would be lying. I don't have the temperament for it and my skills are simply average. I am however a much better driver than I was before I started doing it and I have an absolute blast. I would go more often if my schedule allowed it.

That woud all be in my vettes as my M3 has this past week arrived at the dealership but I have not quite caught my quota yet so I wont catch up to it for another week or so. I think the same thoughts would apply with the M3 though and that leads me to organized road trips/caravans. I made quite a number in my vettes and I never once saw the kind of behavior you describe. Its not that there were not a burnout here or there, some passes made with a little extra speed and so on. That happened all the time. But 120 to 140? Nah, nothing at all like that. I would just about have wanted to call the law myself. I think everyone has the right to do something stupid and kill themselves but you got other people out there that probably don't want to die on any given day. IMO there wasn't anything right about what happened on that run. At any rate I can say that your experience doesn't seem like the norm to me. Not even close.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

never been on a car run but if that's what it's like I don't want to even try. I guess this is what happens when we have a generation of drivers who grew up watching gumball vids.

I've been on the track and I agree with you guys that it's far more fun and safe. I'm not saying I've never gone 120+ on the street but it's a more stressful experience than it is a fun one
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

They gave you shit for not going as fast as them?

That's pretty lame, I go balls out pretty much anytime i drive and especially with groups. There's always those who don't speed, I don't say anything to them.

Didn't really think people guys actually cared enough to?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Quote:
Is this real life? When M3 owners crash their cars they write public apologies to the internet and everyone they know.
Yes, it was real life. But this was 7 years ago during my Subaru days. The guy that crashed was in an older RX-7.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

That is horrible, and certainly wouldn't be like that around anyone I know.

Who are these idiots? Can you post the link to the 'run' details?
Appreciate 0