BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #23
M3ToolFiend
Rep
Drives: Don't have one...yet

OH GOD.

BMW or any brand for that matter will not sell a car that is faster than a higher end car.

Well that's not true,...they will, but they won't advertise it.

The M6/M5 are the M division's cream of the crop. BMW does not want the rich bastards buying M5's and 6's to think that daddy's spoiled little 23 y/o brat in the M3 that cost 20 grand less can out run him. So they advertise slower times for the M3, to place it in the correct market segment.

Road and track got the M5 to do 0-60 in 4.1, now that's ridiculous. But, it's officially listed as a 4.8 car.

My guess is the E92 M3 will be in the 4.2 range, like the 360 Modena.

Don't worry guys, the E92 WILL be faster than the E46. But it's not a competition, besides older brother E46 taught E92 everything he knows.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #24
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Ok, we are still waiting for the "facts" but from following the discussion of what we know at this point I am beginning to wonder what the difference is between my E46 M3 and the E92 M3 (which I have pre-ordered). Sure, there WILL be improvements but how much and where it will be is beginning to haunt me when it comes to selling my M3 and paying the difference for the E92. If the E92 is, let's say 1 second faster, how much of a noticeable difference this going to make on the track (probably almost zero on the street)? I think only a little, and this is if you are able (have the "for real" skills) to drive near the car's limits. Will the handling be hugely improved or slightly improved? Note that do a few track courses a year and the rest is around town and maybe a road trip or two a year (so I'm not at a driving level as many on this site are).

If I subtract the approximate selling price of my E46 from the estimated price of the new E92 I am thinking I'm left with a LOT of cash to add a lot of mods and still have about 1/2 of that cash left over. Ok, I'm leaving the thrill of having the new M3 etc. out of the equation here.

Maybe I'm just picking up on the disappointment emphasis on some of the posting, but any comments on putting some mods into an E46 vs. the extra cash into the E92?
K.

Definitely go with modding the E46. The E92 M3 is only slightly faster than the E46. Definitely not worth the extra dough.

Appreciate 0