BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Alicate
Raw Conscript
Rep
Drives: Z4M - E90M3

Lug bolt Vs wheel fitting

The center bore for a wheel in the E9X M3 is 72.5 and the bolts are 12x1.5 . I am exploring the possibility or putting on winter wheels with the same center bore, but built for a different BMW car with lug bolts that are 14x1.5 ( Oh yes, offset and bolt pattern are compatible). In theory, the wheels would fit but the E90 bolts being 2mm thinner, might not seat the wheel properly against the hub since the holes may be larger. Is this assumption correct? Is the taper in the bolts different? Somebody out there must have acquired some experience with this. The only other way I can find out is to travel 260 miles and check the fit in someone else's garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Alicate
Raw Conscript
Rep
Drives: Z4M - E90M3

Re: Lug bolts

No one has said a word, so I found a way to answer my own questions without traveling. Here are the facts:
A - the holes for the bolts are the same diameter in both wheels.
B - the taper of the lug bolts is 60 degrees for both the 12mm and the 14mm. This is what actually clamps the wheel to the hub.
So, those wheels fit my M3 using the OEM 12mm bolts. I have purchased them cheap ($150 a set of 4, they look like new), mounted new winter tires and will install them in the car. They are heavier than ideal since the wheels are 26 lb each. But they are strong and now I have a non-staggered winter set-up (245-40 18R). I intend to carry one of the same size summer front tires in the trunk, in case I have a flat.
Appreciate 0