BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

11-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #23
dylansun
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRITIME View Post
When cold start my engine idle keep bouncing , almost shut the engine off I'm "helping" the car with my foot on the gas pedal keep it on 1500rpm few seconds (20 sec) until the cold start ends
Do I need to replace this part or the actuators

(Always have this problem when the car parked few days....and only at the first start)
Thanks
Hi there, I know it has been a while but how did you solve the problem? I am having exactly the same issue as yours but a little more frequent—almost every complete cold start, the rev bounces and usually ends up in limp mode. I replaced my throttle actuators with two rebuilt ones. And I haven't replaced my idle control valve. Id like to say that the idle control valve is falling or the rebuilt ones that I have on right now need to be replaced again.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #24
sixspeedm3
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansun View Post
Hi there, I know it has been a while but how did you solve the problem? I am having exactly the same issue as yours but a little more frequent—almost every complete cold start, the rev bounces and usually ends up in limp mode. I replaced my throttle actuators with two rebuilt ones. And I haven't replaced my idle control valve. Id like to say that the idle control valve is falling or the rebuilt ones that I have on right now need to be replaced again.
PM me. The codes you are getting.
      11-11-2022, 12:53 PM   #25
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey E90 328i MT

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I am curious.
Why do our cars have an Idle Control Valve?

With older cars that had mechanical throttles, I understand that this was necessary to have computer control over engine idle speeds, but on modern cars with throttle by wire, why is this necessary?
Clearly the ECU has complete control over the throttle butterfly valves, otherwise we would not be able to use Cruise Control.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 02:51 PM   #26
808M
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiGyver View Post
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I am curious.
Why do our cars have an Idle Control Valve?

With older cars that had mechanical throttles, I understand that this was necessary to have computer control over engine idle speeds, but on modern cars with throttle by wire, why is this necessary?
Clearly the ECU has complete control over the throttle butterfly valves, otherwise we would not be able to use Cruise Control.
Just going on speculation, but probably hard to control idle on ITBs with the large surface area across the multiple throttle plates. And linked to that, managing idle over a small area of the actuator gears would wear them out more than they already do!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 10:15 PM   #27
GinTonic
Private First Class
Rep

I don't want to start a new thread on this topic.

Can someone please confirm:

My engine went into limp home a few weeks back on cold start, and it happened again the other day. Same codes as the first time that lead to Idle Control Valve.

I bought a new fuel breather valve, but decided against buying an idle control valve figuring I can clean it out.

Back in the day when I owned an e36 m3 some 12-15 years ago, this was also a common problem however the solution was cleaning it out with carb cleaner or soaking it in sea foam - I forgot which product it was exactly. But you could clean it out, which would typically resolve the issue.

For the e92 m3, I searched the codes I was getting and from what I found - everyone that has had this issue has replaced the entire ICV unit. Why not clean it? Does that not work or am I missing something? Obviously trying to avoid spending $800 if I don't have to.

Last edited by GinTonic; 04-08-2023 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
AndyW650.00
      04-09-2023, 05:11 PM   #28
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinTonic View Post
I don't want to start a new thread on this topic.

Can someone please confirm:

My engine went into limp home a few weeks back on cold start, and it happened again the other day. Same codes as the first time that lead to Idle Control Valve.

I bought a new fuel breather valve, but decided against buying an idle control valve figuring I can clean it out.

Back in the day when I owned an e36 m3 some 12-15 years ago, this was also a common problem however the solution was cleaning it out with carb cleaner or soaking it in sea foam - I forgot which product it was exactly. But you could clean it out, which would typically resolve the issue.

For the e92 m3, I searched the codes I was getting and from what I found - everyone that has had this issue has replaced the entire ICV unit. Why not clean it? Does that not work or am I missing something? Obviously trying to avoid spending $800 if I don't have to.
Like you I’ve not heard or read of anyone cleaning the ICV to restore its functionality. I say it’s worth trying and reporting back with your technique and findings (results). If cleaning the ICV doesn’t work then that’s worth knowing. If it does you’ve saved $800. It’s definitely worth a try.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 3
      04-09-2023, 08:12 PM   #29
GinTonic
Private First Class
Rep

I figured its worth a shot and worth the extra hour of work. If it doesn't work, at least I tried. I'll report back.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6722.50
AndyW650.00
      04-13-2023, 09:03 PM   #30
lakehoustonnative
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 E93

Quote:
I figured its worth a shot and worth the extra hour of work. If it doesn't work, at least I tried. I'll report back.
Did you get around to doing this yet? I think my ICV is failing and I’m debating whether to clean it or replace. I have 33k miles on my 2013
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      07-24-2023, 01:58 PM   #31
roller1150
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 SC Manual

Codes and Attempt to Replace Fuel Breather and ICV

I recently experienced P152D Manufacturer Control from my OBD II scanner and with ProTool it is 2B0D Idle Actuator Monitoring, Bank 1. My throttle actuators were replaced less than 1,500 miles ago.
In process of replacing the FBV (Fuel Breather Valve) and the ICV (Idle Control Valve). FBV was easy to remove, but the ICV I can see is a bit more challenging. More to come on the resutls and if it has fixed my idling problem between 2K and 2.5K RPM's that is consistently happening at startup.

2008 BMW M3 Active Autowerke SC Manual. 106K and the video of the cold start issue can be found on YT when you search 2008 BMW M3 S65 Active Autowerke Idling Issue before fix

Last edited by roller1150; 07-24-2023 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      11-10-2023, 09:48 AM   #32
trackjunkie61
Private
Rep

Sub’d, having same issue on cold start, get P152D error code, limp mode…
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 04:27 PM   #33
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Did cleaning it work?
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 06:58 PM   #34
GinTonic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Did cleaning it work?
I never did it. I bought an Epic tune in May and the issue went away.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      02-11-2024, 03:30 PM   #35
GinTonic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Did cleaning it work?
So, coming back to this.

The symptoms came back about a month or two ago with the colder weather. It was really noticeable when putting the car into gear right after starting the engine.

Since I had the plenum off the other day, I changed out the fuel breather valve. I ordered one a year ago and never got around to changing it out. All symptoms of fluctuating idle are now gone.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50