BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

07-25-2022, 11:49 PM   #67
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
Random Q - what year and mileage was your m3 when you got it? Contemplating a similar build and wondering what you got.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 12:31 AM   #68
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Haha I was "weighting" for your comment I'm a dad now so I've gotta find those dad jokes where I can...

Yeah I'm debating how far I want to go with this car, pulling the front interior will knock me out of "street class" in 2 time attack series that I'm debating running + I kinda like the carpet. I think the front carpet was 18# on my 1 series. Do you have a weight number for an E92? It's pretty thick...

I saved the door cards to try and cut weight from the Interior before reinstalling... Or I'll just be fancy and go with CF ones.
i want to say the rear seat carpet, trunk insulation, and trunk liner adds up to about 28lbs. front carpet extends over the center hump and looking through my pics, i forgot to weight it. i'd estimate it to be about 12-14lbs. its pretty thick and provides some insulation. i wear shoes when i drive the m3 now because my feet get kinda toasty.
front door cards with the speaker are 12lbs each. center console is 9lbs. slicktop headliner is 10lbs.
rear "cards" are (with speakers and butlers) are 5lbs each.
the rear shelf with speakers is a little over 5lbs as well.
there are also some metal pans behind the rear door cards that are good for 3lbs.

my single hump conversion saved about 16lbs, but i also drilled the tube, removed insulation, some molded vents, and drilled some plastic. also got rid of the center speaker and radio.

i kept the trunk floor so its flat back there, but i take it out for track days because it flops around from the wind.

Last edited by roastbeef; 07-26-2022 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 12:51 AM   #69
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Quote:
Haha I was "weighting" for your comment I'm a dad now so I've gotta find those dad jokes where I can...

Yeah I'm debating how far I want to go with this car, pulling the front interior will knock me out of "street class" in 2 time attack series that I'm debating running + I kinda like the carpet. I think the front carpet was 18# on my 1 series. Do you have a weight number for an E92? It's pretty thick...

I saved the door cards to try and cut weight from the Interior before reinstalling... Or I'll just be fancy and go with CF ones.
i want to say the rear seat carpet, trunk insulation, and trunk liner adds up to about 28lbs. front carpet extends over the center hump and looking through my pics, i forgot to weight it. i'd estimate it to be about 12-14lbs. its pretty thick and provides some insulation. i wear shoes when i drive the m3 now because my feet get kinda toasty.
front door cards with the speaker are 12lbs each. center console is 9lbs. slicktop headliner is 10lbs.
rear "cards" are (with speakers and butlers) are 5lbs each.
the rear shelf with speakers is a little over 5lbs as well.
there are also some metal pans behind the rear door cards that are good for 3lbs.

my single hump conversion saved about 16lbs, but i also drilled the tube, removed insulation, some molded vents, and drilled some plastic. also got rid of the center speaker and radio.

i kept the trunk floor so its flat back there, but i take it out for track days because it flops around from the wind.
Weird, did your car have extended leather? My front door cards were right at 13# each (I think) and the rear "door cards" were 8lbs,10oz each + 2lbs per side of sound deadening rubber sheets.

I was shocked by the weight of the leather door panels, almost 50lbs of door cards in a coupe : especially the rear door cards with extended leather.
      07-26-2022, 01:00 AM   #70
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

no extended leather. i removed the foam gunk and i think some of that lint looking fluff from the door cards and door a while back... but that probably all adds up to about 1.5lbs max... same with the rear door cards. i had them off previously and scalped the carpet beneath.

rear seatbelts are good for like 5lbs, too.
      07-26-2022, 01:21 AM   #71
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Sure thing, I'll take some later tonight... I went red in my last car because... 2fast2furious and regretted it every day lol

I'd 100% go matte black or similar. I kinda wish I went matte grey to give it a little contrast but I really don't care about looks lol.
I'm doing my cage from pinnacle in metallic silver.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 12:38 PM   #72
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
Quote:
Sure thing, I'll take some later tonight... I went red in my last car because... 2fast2furious and regretted it every day lol

I'd 100% go matte black or similar. I kinda wish I went matte grey to give it a little contrast but I really don't care about looks lol.
I'm doing my cage from pinnacle in metallic silver.
Good call! I wish I went silver or grey but the matte black looks good too. Can always powder coat it in the future if I really want to.
      09-08-2022, 12:10 AM   #73
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Few updates over the last month, I've done some more weight reduction, installed trackspec vents, Fiberlab Door Cards which are pretty nice but I'm bummed they didn't send a matte set I requested... And most importantly I got some seat time. Can say that even with less power and more weight, this car is a total riot compared to my last E82 track car.

I've found that taller tires (I moved from 285/30 to 275/35) really accentuate the S65's lack of torque. That being said, I've decided to upgrade to a 6 clutch ZF LSD (similar to DiffsOnline) with 3.45 gearing. The diff should be here in 1-2 weeks, cannot wait to try it out at some local tracks.

I also decided to bump up my wing size to the GT4 MK2 after some hairy ~100mph oversteer at Thunderhill/Laguna... don't expect a major change but hoping this will help along w/ some suspension test/tuning later this month.
Attached Images

tlrid3r507.00
spooni480.50
      09-10-2022, 02:37 PM   #74
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Few updates over the last month, I've done some more weight reduction, installed trackspec vents, Fiberlab Door Cards which are pretty nice but I'm bummed they didn't send a matte set I requested... And most importantly I got some seat time. Can say that even with less power and more weight, this car is a total riot compared to my last E82 track car.

I've found that taller tires (I moved from 285/30 to 275/35) really accentuate the S65's lack of torque. That being said, I've decided to upgrade to a 6 clutch ZF LSD (similar to DiffsOnline) with 3.45 gearing. The diff should be here in 1-2 weeks, cannot wait to try it out at some local tracks.

I also decided to bump up my wing size to the GT4 MK2 after some hairy ~100mph oversteer at Thunderhill/Laguna... don't expect a major change but hoping this will help along w/ some suspension test/tuning later this month.
Our cars are pretty much twins as aside from red and blue. Very similar mods and looks.

How did you order the fiberlab door card. Online? How long did it take to arrive?

Great job.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 03:37 PM   #75
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
Quote:

Our cars are pretty much twins as aside from red and blue. Very similar mods and looks.

How did you order the fiberlab door card. Online? How long did it take to arrive?

Great job.
Can't wait to see your car! Thanks for those scrubs, still haven't been able to run them yet...

I just ordered them on their website but I'd definitely call and request matte as I tried to order matte but received gloss. Lead time with shipping was only 2-3 weeks...

I'm really happy with the car, running faster than my E82 at most tracks (except Thunderhill West) with much less power/aero. I also love being able to occasionally street drive to the track with AC, run all day and drive home.

BW13: 1:57.3
T-Hill: 1:58.8
T-Hill West: 1:23.1

Excited to get the 3.45 LSD + bigger GT4 Wing installed before running Buttonwillow in cooler weather. Need that sub 1:55 like the cool kids.
      09-10-2022, 04:59 PM   #76
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
I just ordered them on their website but I'd definitely call and request matte as I tried to order matte but received gloss. Lead time with shipping was only 2-3 weeks...
Get them wrapped in matte PPF. Will protect the CF as well.
Appreciate 1
tlrid3r507.00
      09-10-2022, 05:35 PM   #77
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great job.
Can't wait to see your car! Thanks for those scrubs, still haven't been able to run them yet...

I'm really happy with the car, running faster than my E82 at most tracks (except Thunderhill West) with much less power/aero. I also love being able to occasionally street drive to the track with AC, run all day and drive home.

Excited to get the 3.45 LSD + bigger GT4 Wing installed before running Buttonwillow in cooler weather. Need that sub 1:55 like the cool kids.
I'll take a look to ordering it. Thinking of doing single hump dash since my radio doesn't work because I removed all the modules and amp.
But also considering a aftermarket dash that also acts as lap timer. Plus provided many other engine vitals. Been working on the CAD design to fit it.
Still have most of the interior. Just rear seat out for the cage fitment.
I got a upgraded mechanical LSD 3 clutch pack. Stock gears. It helps a lot.

My times
BW13 1:56.2
T-Hill west 1:24.2
Laguna 1:39.8

Curious to see your e82 build.
When you going to BW again?
Attached Images

///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 07:27 PM   #78
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great job.

I'll take a look to ordering it. Thinking of doing single hump dash since my radio doesn't work because I removed all the modules and amp.
But also considering a aftermarket dash that also acts as lap timer. Plus provided many other engine vitals. Been working on the CAD design to fit it.

My times

Could just buy this and be done with it…

https://wilvernmotorsport.co.uk/prod...ter-insert-e9x
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tlrid3r507.00
      09-10-2022, 07:45 PM   #79
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbr8king View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great job.

My times

Could just buy this and be done with it…

https://wilvernmotorsport.co.uk/prod...ter-insert-e9x
Wow, what a great find. I searched and couldn't find it. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2022, 08:35 PM   #80
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great job.

My times

Yeah I've been considering going back to Aim/SoloDL after 2 years with an ApexPro, I was hoping that it would get more popular in this region (for data sharing) but it still seems to be mostly Midwest folks.

Which LSD did you go with?
      09-10-2022, 08:45 PM   #81
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

It's hard to beat AIM given how much market share they have around data loggin. You'll be hard pressed to find someone not running a basic AIM setup.

Yes the software sucks. But it's such a powerful tool.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 10:22 PM   #82
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
It's hard to beat AIM given how much market share they have around data loggin. You'll be hard pressed to find someone not running a basic AIM setup.

Agreed... I used to run a Solo2 but found that I rarely looked at data until I was home. The Apex phone-based system makes looking at data in between sessions so much easier.

Running both might make the most sense, or the Garmin system but I really don't want an iPad on my dash.
      09-10-2022, 11:17 PM   #83
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed... I used to run a Solo2 but found that I rarely looked at data until I was home. The Apex phone-based system makes looking at data in between sessions so much easier.

Running both might make the most sense, or the Garmin system but I really don't want an iPad on my dash.
I took the diff to a shop and they used the LSD hub from a e39 m5 and install BMW Motorsport clutch set. REM polished everything and taper bearing to handle more load.

The AIM dash I was planning to install is a MXM unit. It does all the regular race dash and all that a solo 2 DL does with Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 11:31 PM   #84
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Quote:
Quote:

I run both an aim and garmin. For quick bites between sessions I use the garmin. For deeper analysis on technique I use the aim.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 04:35 AM   #85
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

The E92 M3 with an AIM device connected to the CAN bus is special. The AIM can log data that I have not seen available on other cars. To improve as a driver that data can be very very useful.

The new RS3Analysis is much better than RS2, but still not easy. I also don't have time or the setup to look at the data mid day, but I spend a lot of time at home to look at staff.

For example, I would like to know where, and if, the car went into the ABS. With AIM telling me how much PSI I applied, how much pressure was applied to individual wheel, and a math channel to tells me if the wheel pressure fluctuate up and down (while I increase pressure) I can see if applying more pressure will make any different. If not, I know I can not move the braking point any closer to the turn since I am already in ABS.

More specifically, I can see if the front or the rears are in ABS.

so above is one thing out of several that I analyze at home.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 11:41 AM   #86
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I took the diff to a shop and they used the LSD hub from a e39 m5 and install BMW Motorsport clutch set. REM polished everything and taper bearing to handle more load.

The AIM dash I was planning to install is a MXM unit. It does all the regular race dash and all that a solo 2 DL does with Bluetooth.
Well look at that, I'm legit having the same ZF diff built with the "3/6 clutch" upgrade & 3.45 gearing (not BMW MS gears though). What ramp angles did you go with? I'm leaning towards 30/60 as I've heard anything higher on accel will wear the clutches really fast. I'm also having a 3.62 F/D gear set shipped so I can switch if I want to go shorter in the future.

I was surprised to find out that DiffsOnline just uses that same E39 ZF LSD with new clutches for all of their offerings. I ran this on my last car and it was pretty damn good, wish a Drexler Race-Light was in my budget but $6k+ is kinda extreme.
      09-11-2022, 11:43 AM   #87
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
The E92 M3 with an AIM device connected to the CAN bus is special. The AIM can log data that I have not seen available on other cars. To improve as a driver that data can be very very useful.

The new RS3Analysis is much better than RS2, but still not easy. I also don't have time or the setup to look at the data mid day, but I spend a lot of time at home to look at staff.

For example, I would like to know where, and if, the car went into the ABS. With AIM telling me how much PSI I applied, how much pressure was applied to individual wheel, and a math channel to tells me if the wheel pressure fluctuate up and down (while I increase pressure) I can see if applying more pressure will make any different. If not, I know I can not move the braking point any closer to the turn since I am already in ABS.

More specifically, I can see if the front or the rears are in ABS.

so above is one thing out of several that I analyze at home.
Yeah agreed, I'm always super jealous looking at people's Aim data from these cars. I think the ideal setup is a Solo2DL + Garmin for reviewing data/video at the track.
      09-11-2022, 01:05 PM   #88
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Quote:
Get them wrapped in matte PPF. Will protect the CF as well.
Good call! I might do this, or another muted color wrap.

Plan to install some padded "alcantera" material to the arm rest area to add to the OEM+ look and make them less slippery for long drives to the track.