BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

03-23-2023, 09:44 PM   #23
MrBlueSkies
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Yet RealOEM only shows one part number.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 11:59 PM   #24
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

My previous Ohlins I used the Powerflex Yellow rear strut mount PFR-416 which was 10mm. So I bought the 10mm PF Black for the Tractive and it's too small and the mech bored it out to 12mm. So I am 100% sure TracTive requires 12mm.

Last edited by Redd; 03-24-2023 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
derbo3610.00
      03-24-2023, 03:36 PM   #25
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

I am really interested to see how these hold up. I haven't found any issues or concerns with longevity across the Porsche and F80 forums, but they also don't have the cumulative miles/age that other offerings do. The Porsche guys are especially in love with these, went down the rabbit hole last night on Rennlist.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 05:36 PM   #26
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
I am really interested to see how these hold up. I haven't found any issues or concerns with longevity across the Porsche and F80 forums, but they also don't have the cumulative miles/age that other offerings do. The Porsche guys are especially in love with these, went down the rabbit hole last night on Rennlist.
Verbatim from the DSC Sport website:

Build Quality
The mechanical build also sets the DDA line apart from similar dampers on the market. The proprietary guide seal design features a .01mm guide clearance – the finest in the industry. This incredibly precise guide seal clearance provides DDA products with the lowest stiction in the industry. This precision, combined with the placement and position of the DDA valve, makes the DDA valve impervious to side load even during the most severe mechanical conditions.

Reliability
All products are subject to scrutinous quality control tests and simulations in accordance with BMW automotive standards before receiving the green light for production. Each DDA valve design is subjected to 17.6 million cycles on a shock dyno and must retain 85% of original damping performance before being approved for production. The DDA valve is tested at temperatures as low as -30°C and as high as 140°C before production. Any technology that survives in these harsh conditions, has a field day in car racing.

Hopefully it's as tough as they say.
Appreciate 3
derbo3610.00
wyatth3548.50
ornicar136.00
      03-29-2023, 03:40 AM   #27
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

I am quite happy with how the display mounting turned out inside the ashtray. The door closes and it looks completely clean and stock with the door closed.

I am also talking to Rendition to create a custom ashtray that will hold the display.

https://renditioncustom.com/collections/e9x

There are 3 different pages on the display. By the way, the display is orange. It just looks two tone due to the lighting.

Mode Settings

On this screen you can:
1. Select the suspension modes (M1-M5) using the Up and Down arrows.
2. Set the Front and Rear stiffness, and Roll and Pitch stiffness for each mode using the +/-.
3. Save changes to the selected mode by long pressing the mode number.

The +/- signs are a bit small so you definitely don't want to do the settings when the car is in motion. But otherwise the touchscreen is quite usable and I'm now glad I got the new GT3RS look vs the older bar style display.

TracTive also does not preset any Mode settings so it's up to you how you want to set it up. The race shop who installed my set did give me some recommendations so I will be playing around with those and fine tuning to my own preference.

Mode Selection

This screen gives you all five modes within easy reach. Once all your settings are done this should be your main screen on a day-to-day basis.

Display Settings

On this page you can:

1. Calib - Press this to calibrate the ACE controller after you have made any physical changes to the suspension (e.g. raising/lowering, corner weighting, etc)
2. Start-up - How long to display the TracTive logo on startup
3. Info - Software version number
4. Back Light - Adjust brightness of the display
5. Sleep Mode - Set how long before the display switches off. The display will turn on when you touch it again.
Appreciate 2
wyatth3548.50
DrFerry6728.50
      03-29-2023, 04:12 AM   #28
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Initial Impressions

Here are my initial impressions just on the short drive home after picking up the car. My car currently has Vorshlag plates, front monoballs, rear full spherical conversion, BW rear camber arm spherical bushings, ECS rear trailing arms, solid subframe bushes, PowerFlex Purple diff bushes, PowerFlex Black rear strut mounts, and the TracTive Touring Line. Keep that in mind as my car can be quite stiff.

1. My biggest concern was ride harshness. One of the reasons I loved my Ohlins R/T was that even with all the solid/spherical bits, the Ohlins was very comfortable and less harsh even than stock EDC suspension. I am happy to report that the TracTive is just a wee bit harsher than Ohlins DFV, maybe 10-20%. You do feel the rough surfaces a bit more than Ohlins, but this is more a testament to how amazing the Ohlins DFV is, more than a knock on the TracTive DDA valve. The TracTive ride is still very comfortable compared to stock EDC.

2. TracTive damping starts at +1 and goes up to +5. So you have 4 level increases per setting. This is not a lot compared to Ohlins which has up to 20 clicks. Each level increase on the TracTive is noticeable and feels like 2-3 clicks on the Ohlins.

3. Full Soft everything is very soft and comfortable. I would say Full Soft is comparable to Ohlins at 12-13 clicks. It is not too soft and completely usable setting. I intend to use Full Soft front and rear - or close to it - for my Daily Driving mode.

4. Ohlins recommends keeping the front and rear damping the same. For the TracTive, at front and rear full soft, the front feels less damped than rear. Based on initial feel, the front needs +1 level more damping than rear for it to feel balanced. The race shop who installed my set also had the same feeling. At full soft, the front end feels like it will bottom out if you go over large bumps too fast.

5. With the Ohlins R/T, you're actually adjusting rebound. Ohlins R/T at 6 clicks or less, rebound feels too stiff and feels mismatched to compression. For the TracTive at Full Hard everything, the ride is still relatively comfortable compared to Ohlins at 4 clicks. Tractive Full Hard rebound does not feel as stiff as Ohlins 4 clicks rebound, and feels better matched to compression damping wise. One potential downside to this is that the TracTive might be even more undersprung and underdamped for real track work. It remains to be seen if the Roll & Pitch control is enough to manage high speed weight transfer. Me personally, I would have liked Full Hard to be a bit stiffer but there will be compromises on comfort (spring rates etc).

6. TracTive Pitch control is quite amazing. At Pitch full hard, there is zero nose dive on braking. The car just stops immediately. It takes a bit of getting used to as the braking is a lot more immediate.

7. Roll is less obvious. At Roll full hard it feels like you have a stiffer sway bar but the difference is not as apparent as Pitch. If you push hard enough you will still feel some body roll but it is reduced compared to Pitch full soft.

8. Pitch/roll interference is very smooth. You do not really feel it coming in. In fact, it just feels as if you're running stiffer springs/bar but without the firmness/harshness associated with stiffer springs.

Overall impression is that the TracTive Touring Line is a great alternative to Ohlins R/T ride quality with a lot more capabilities than the Ohlins. I see the Touring Line as a daily driver/canyon carver setup first and not really for a track focused car.

So far I have been quite impressed with the quality of the system and components and how easy it is to use. Of course now starts the process to test and fine tune the settings until I get it set up just the way I like it.

Last edited by Redd; 03-29-2023 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 9
chicagob5256.50
Ajolives922.00
wyatth3548.50
CTMike262.00
Shrike360475.50
BP709230.00
DrFerry6728.50
      03-29-2023, 12:52 PM   #29
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Very interesting and great initial impressions/feedback. Eager for you to dial in the settings to your likings and get a few more miles on them. Thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 06:54 PM   #30
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Teaser of the custom display holder from Rendition...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wyatth3548.50
      03-30-2023, 07:41 PM   #31
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Curious how this does with factory EDC. I'm guessing they do something like 1 across the board for comfort mode, 3 for normal and 5 for sport. I also wonder if the processing rate of the factory EDC can keep up with these dampers.

A little disappointing that it seems to need a little extra spring rate. Hopefully, it would be fine to drop in something like some slightly more aggressive, linear rate Swift springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 08:21 PM   #32
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike360 View Post
Curious how this does with factory EDC. I'm guessing they do something like 1 across the board for comfort mode, 3 for normal and 5 for sport. I also wonder if the processing rate of the factory EDC can keep up with these dampers.

A little disappointing that it seems to need a little extra spring rate. Hopefully, it would be fine to drop in something like some slightly more aggressive, linear rate Swift springs.
My friend with E92 M3 EDC will be installing his Tractive tomorrow. I'll get a review and maybe a drive in his car soon.

I'm still undecided about the spring rates for now. For daily driving it definitely does not need more spring. The true test will be at track cos that was where I felt that the Ohlins is a bit undersprung.
Appreciate 2
CTMike262.00
derbo3610.00
      03-30-2023, 08:34 PM   #33
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

That's great you'll get the chance to compare to an EDC kit as well.
I think the springs will be too soft for the track, being the softest springs I've seen on any coilover kit for this car. I doubt they expect much track use with the Touring kit. It's probably tolerable for the occasional event but not ideal for regular track use. But anything crafted to that will obviously compromise daily comfort. I was hoping this witchcraft allowed us to have our cake and eat it too, but physics are physics.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 12:51 AM   #34
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Impressions #2

This will purely be impressions of daily driving conditions. Comparing Ohlins 12 clicks which was my daily setting vs TracTive 2-1-1-1 (Fr-Re-Ro-Pi) which is basically Full Soft and one step higher on front stiffness.

I may change my previous impressions cos as I drive the TracTive more I'm beginning to notice new things. So I'm gonna just brain dump what I feel in case I forget it later.

1. Harshness wise is not a linear relationship between Ohlins and TracTive. TracTive can be between 10-30% harsher than Ohlins. For rough road surfaces, small bumps, it feels 10% harsher. For deeper sharp ruts, or hitting it at higher speeds, it can feel like 30% harsher. Again, I'm comparing to Ohlins which to me is the best in the market. I think the comparison against EDC harshness will provide a clearer picture.

2. One thing I've started to realize about the Ohlins now that I'm driving the TracTive is that the Ohlins R/T rebound and compression damping is not well matched. When you turn the knob on the Ohlins, you're actually changing the rebound and that also changes the compression somewhat. However, it's not 1:1, i.e. increasing rebound does not result in an equal increase in compression. At the stiffer settings, the Ohlins rebound feels very stiff but the compression doesn't feel as stiff. Not sure if I'm making sense or not, or whether it's just my set which is higher mileage. With the TracTive, rebound and compression feels better matched. When you go to a stiffer setting, both compression and rebound stiffen up by an equal amount.

3. TracTive compression damping is stronger than Ohlins for the daily driving settings. With the Ohlins I felt more shock travel at 12 clicks than the TracTive at 2-1-1-1. This is in spite of the TracTive spring rates being lower than Ohlins. Certain dips that would cause my rear tires to rub against the fender did not rub with the TracTive.

4. Even at 2-1-1-1 I feel like there is slightly less body roll than the Ohlins at 12 clicks. That's basically Full Soft on the roll and pitch control. This is surprising again cos the TracTive spring rates are lower than the Ohlins. I'm starting to think that you can't measure the TracTive effective spring rate purely based on the static spring rate. The dampers are obviously doing some work here. Question is, how to quantify when it's dynamic?

5. With more compression damping, less shock travel, and better roll control, I feel the TracTive provides better body control than the Ohlins at my daily driving settings. I feel like it rides a bit firmer overall than the Ohlins at 12 clicks. Purely on a comfort standpoint, I would still give it to Ohlins, mainly for the reduced harshness. The TracTive feels like a sportier ride.

6. On the opposite end, with Ohlins at 4 clicks and TracTive at full hard, the Ohlins rebound feels stiffer than the TracTive. I think the Ohlins rebound range is definitely wider than the TracTive damper. But I haven't pushed the car yet at Full Hard so I can't say how it translates to roll and pitch control vs Ohlins at 4 clicks. The promise of using softer springs to soak up the kerbs but still have the DDA valve manage body control might actually hold true.

7. I would be remiss if I did not mention that having the ability to change suspension settings in real time with 5 presets is fantastic. This is something Ohlins cannot do. The additional ability to modify each setting to your own preference is also nice and something not available if you're using TracTive with EDC. I find myself switching between the 5 modes all the time just to feel the car change the way it drives. So much fun!

Tomorrow I'll be taking the car into the hills. Will try to see how well the roll and pitch control works as I push it on roads I'm familiar with.
Appreciate 2
wyatth3548.50
CTMike262.00
      04-01-2023, 02:00 AM   #35
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Full Review

Today I had the chance to take the car up to the hills. The route is popular with the local car guys with hundreds driving here every weekend. Stage 1 consists of a highway heading up into the hills with long sweeping high speed turns and speeds up to 210kph for me. Stage 2 is where we turn off to climb the hill. There are lots of 2nd gear turns with short spurts between them, hairpins and steeper inclines. Stage 2 is usually redlining 2nd and 3rd gears.

TL;DR – The TracTive suspension is amazing! It does everything it promises and more. It has exceeded all my expectations and is a very worthwhile upgrade over Ohlins R/T.

Before I start to get into the review, pushing the car today has forced me to change my perspective on suspension tuning. Earlier I was concerned about the TracTive spring rates being too low to manage the weight of the M3. Fundamentally, the springs (and the sway bar to an extent) is there to manage the weight transfer - i.e roll and pitch - of the car. Problem is, with traditional suspension systems, we have been taught that to have less roll and less pitch, we need stiffer springs which in turn impacts comfort and harshness. TracTive have somehow manage to decouple roll and pitch control with spring rate through the use of their DDA valve, and the end effect is almost magical.

1. At 2-1-1-1, the TracTive had less body roll than the Ohlins R/T. Pitch felt about the same. Bear in mind that I am already running H&R sway bars, and even then there was an improvement with the TracTive dampers. So the TracTive DDA valve is definitely doing some work even at it’s softest setting cos the TracTive spring rate is lower than the Ohlins.

2. For Stage 1 I was testing between my daily setting 2-1-1-1 and 2-1-5-5. Basically, I was switching between roll/pitch full soft and full hard to see what it would feel like. 2-1-5-5 – soft damping but roll/pitch at full hard – was an eye opening experience! Switching from 2-1-1-1 to 2-1-5-5 and suddenly the car corners flatter and has less nose dive on braking. Attacking the high-speed sweepers with greatly reduced body roll and pitch gave me a lot more confidence to get to higher speeds than I did before.

3. At the same time, increasing roll/pitch to max had little to no effect on ride harshness or damping. TracTive have somehow managed to tune the system so that it is able to recognise going over a speed bump versus a pitch event. Running 2-1-5-5 provided the same comfort as 2-1-1-1, but when you corner or brake hard, the roll and pitch is greatly reduced. Truly the best of all worlds!

4. With roll set to full hard, the car corners much flatter. Not only that, steering inputs are a lot quicker, car feels dartier and sharper. Kinda feels like going from front zero toe to toe out, it just wants to change directions faster. With roll at full soft, when you turn the car, you can feel the weight transfer compress the damper first before the car actually turns. When roll is at full hard, that compression doesn’t happen and the car turns immediately.

5. Same thing happens for pitch. With pitch at full hard, stepping on the brakes creates an immediate stopping action on the car. The nose doesn’t dip first before you feel the car start to stop. It’s quite uncanny how the pitch control feels and you almost need a bit of time to get your brain around it. It kinda reminds me of how it felt when I added front monoballs, but to a much greater degree.

6. I drove Stage 2 with a fairly stiff setup 4-3-4-4 which was stiffer than my old Ohlins at 8 clicks. I found myself wanting to reduce damping as some of the uneven roads was unsettling the car at the stiffer damping. At the same time, roll and pitch control kept the car reactions sharp and quick. From today’s drive, it is obvious to me that at least for my hill runs, the TracTive does not need stiffer springs. Somehow, the DDA valve does add a fair bit of dynamic spring rate.

7. The nett result is that by setting roll and pitch to full hard, the car reacts more immediately and feels more point and shoot. Turn-in is sharper and the car feels more eager to rotate. Acceleration also felt more immediate and I could get on the throttle sooner on corner exit. This was true both in Stage 1 and Stage 2, and overall the TracTive suspension gave me more confidence to push the car harder. That said, I did feel like the tail was a bit more eager to step out in the slower sharper turns on corner exit as there was less weight transfer front to back. I may need to re-look at my rear toe settings (I run very very little rear toe-in) to balance this out a bit.

8. Driving the TracTive hard today has forced me to relook at my settings. Initially I was focused on adding damping to increase stiffness. Now, I may lower damping and increase roll and pitch stiffness to increase body control. Roll/pitch control is where the magic really happens with the TracTive setup and it's something that is hard to describe until you experience it for yourself. Even during daily driving, I did not really feel the difference that roll/pitch made until I pushed it today. Furthermore, I checked with the TracTive engineer and running roll/pitch full hard has no significant impact to the lifespan of the DDA valve.

9. Today I did notice that some particular sharp ruts/joints taken at speed are very harsh, much harsher than Ohlins. But these are few and far between and it’s something I can live with for the added performance of the TracTive system.

Verdict
Overall, I am very impressed with the TracTive suspension. Initially I was wondering if this would be a worthwhile upgrade over the Ohlins R/T which was already a huge upgrade over stock/EDC. The answer is a confident YES! The TracTive Touring Line is a different level of suspension. The way it can provide both comfort and body control through roll/pitch settings is unreal. Truly a best of all worlds especially if your car is your daily driver and also your weekend toy. While TracTive is compatible with EDC, I feel that you really need the ACE controller to reap the full benefits of the system. The ability to tune damping, pitch and roll independently and store up to 5 presets is one level up from the 3 EDC presets that come with the car.

Next I will try to find some track time to see how the TracTive feels at a track environment.

Last edited by Redd; 04-01-2023 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 4
ganz150.00
CTMike262.00
wyatth3548.50
Thumbie95.50
      04-08-2023, 09:31 PM   #36
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Additional Impressions

I've put about 300+ kms into the TracTive now. Today I went for my weekend hill run again and have some new impressions.

1. Harshness has reduced a bit. Even at the stiffer damping settings I don't feel the road surface as much as I did last week. Or maybe I'm just getting used to it. While it's still not Ohlins comfortable, it's a noticeable reduction in harshness than when it was new. The TracTive engineer did say ride will improve after about 500km so let's see if it gets better still.

2. Tried to run 4-3-5-5 (my Sport setting) at Stage 1 of the drive and immediately felt that the tail was too loose in the high speed sweepers. It just didn't inspire confidence to push the car. Went back to my highway/Touring setting of 2-1-5-5 and the car immediately felt more comfortable.

3. I really pushed hard today on Stage 1 especially coming back downhill. Hit much higher speeds than before with full confidence. Car just feels so comfortable in the high speed stuff at 2-1-5-5.

4. In Stage 2, with 4-3-5-5, the car is so sharp. The TracTive with roll full hard the turn-in is so addictive, it almost feels like a whole new car. You just turn the wheel and the chassis reacts immediately. By comparison, the Ohlins felt slow and vague. I also noticed I'm needing less steering angle to get the same turn-in as the Ohlins.

5. Last week I drove with TC fully on as it was my first time driving the TracTive hard. Today I did MDM on Stage 2. Last week I noticed the TC light flashing more than usual, but today with MDM the car felt planted and I did not feel the rear step out. I made no alignment changes from last week til today.

6. So my usual practice now is 2-1-5-5 for Stage 1, and 4-3-5-5 once I hit the twisty bits. I love how I'm able to switch settings on the fly at just the press of a button. I never envied the EDC guys before but now I wish I had EDC capability before this. Also the way the different settings change the car is very noticeable. I highly recommend the ACE controller just for the ability to tune the settings to your driving style.

These are my settings (based on my own driving style):

(Softest) M1... M5 (stiffest): Fr-Re-Ro-Pi

M1: 2-1-1-1 (Comfort)
M2: 2-1-5-5 (Touring/Highway)
M3: 3-2-2-2 (Sport Wet) (untested)
M4: 4-3-5-5 (Sport)
M5: 5-4-5-3 (Track) (untested)

I did get the settings from the TracTive engineer (he also owns an E92) but they are quite different from my own. So I guess it really depends on your own style and preference.

Last edited by Redd; 04-09-2023 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 04:31 AM   #37
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Good stuff. I did ask how their EDC kit would compare to different settings on an ACE kit, and they told me, "The ACE is a programable system based solely off an accelerometer. The factory system takes all kinds of data from various sensors across the car. It is not possible to determine exactly what the BMW system does, but it is more advanced than the ACE unit."

The ACE setup is still nice for 5 settings and customizations, but EDC kits apparently take more data into account. For whatever that's worth. Kit sounds great!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 04:41 AM   #38
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah TracTive engineer told me that as well. They say the BMW EDC is even more advanced than PASM. One limitation I can see with EDC + TracTive is that you're stuck with whatever settings BMW has put into EDC. You won't be able to customize it.

I'm waiting for my friends car with EDC to finish his TracTive install. Should be another week or so.
Appreciate 2
wyatth3548.50
derbo3610.00
      04-10-2023, 01:33 PM   #39
dball4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Thanks for this review, very cool to see. I’ve been eyeing their touring line kit for a while now as I really like the option of factory plug and play kit with EDC.

Looking forward to reading how the EDC kit compares.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 11:40 AM   #40
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Yeah TracTive engineer told me that as well. They say the BMW EDC is even more advanced than PASM. One limitation I can see with EDC + TracTive is that you're stuck with whatever settings BMW has put into EDC. You won't be able to customize it.

I'm waiting for my friends car with EDC to finish his TracTive install. Should be another week or so.
Very interested to see how Traktive handles the EDC input vs output from their dampers.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 09:57 PM   #41
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post

Also interested in hearing this feedback. I wonder how EDC handles the roll and pitch control, as I don't think the programming would have been set to handle more advanced dampers than factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 12:57 AM   #42
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

@Helmsman posted two videos showing how EDC adapts by varying the current. So I think TracTive just adjusts the DDA valve damping based on the same EDC current.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 09:48 PM   #43
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Stock EDC vs TracTive+EDC

In the owner's own words.

My initial impressions:
Current setup : 2009 non ZCP with 126k km mileage. Full front & rear suspension refresh with oem bushings except solid subframe mounts. Non zcp ride height

1. This my 3rd set of shocks. Previously replaced my leaking shocks with oem EDC (non zcp). OEM shocks on the soft setting are fairly compliant without any harshness but they do get harsher overtime with the EDC compensating for wear & tear. My shocks are now 5yrs old with 40k km on it but were starting to get quite harsh even on soft. The Normal (mid) setting is too harsh for daily driving. An EDC reset did restore the comfort level & I did this before switching over to Tractive for a baseline comparison. Highly recommend for anyone to do a EDC reset after switching over to new dampers

2. My biggest gripe with the soft EDC setting is not so much the roll but simply that you lose front end turn in sharpness & the transitions are sloppy. The normal (mid) setting considerably tightness the turn in and roll. While it’s stiffens up the car it’s crashy when dealing with rough tarmac & for me at least too harsh for daily driving.

3. Tractive on soft is directly comparable to a fresh EDC setup (non zcp) in terms of harshness/comfort. The game changer here is that you have oem edc Normal (mid) pitch, roll & front end turn in with the compliance of oem edc softs, ie no more dialing up your EDC before entering a sweeping corner to eliminate the roll. For me subjectively there was +10%-20% improvement on harshness (20%-30% improvement before EDC reset).Most of the gains are felt on the sharper ruts, where while the oem edc will crash into them the tractive rounds them off. The tractive on soft makes the car feel firmer compared to oem edc soft but no loss in compliance. I will try an EDC reset again & observe any changes.

4. I haven’t had much time to try the Tractive EDC normal (mid) setting. It feels +10% stiffer compared to softs. Didn’t notice much change in roll but I’m yet to do any spirited driving on this setting. My initial impression there’s a +20-30% improvement in harshness compared oem EDC on the same setting especially on speed bumps & rougher tarmac where the tractive dampens this rather than crashing into it. It can get a bit bouncy on high speed where there are undulations on the road/highways but this is a perfectly usable setup for daily driving for the more spirited bunch. I would personally stick to the soft setting for daily driving for now as I find the normal setting too firm & im not losing much on the dynamic end of things.

It’s a thoroughly modernizing experience.
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2023, 10:08 PM   #44
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

TracTive+EDC vs TracTive+ACE controller

I had the chance to take my friend's TracTive+EDC out for a short drive just to see what it felt like.

1. First thing that hit me was that it felt a lot like my own TracTive+ACE, and that's a good thing! Dynamically the range of adjustment that EDC provides is very similar to the ACE controller. The key difference is that EDC does not allow customization of the settings.

2. On EDC Comfort, the ride felt very compliant and similar to my Comfort mode 2-1-1-1.

3. On EDC Normal, I did not really feel damping increase a lot (it was a very short low speed drive) but I could definitely feel the roll and pitch control kick in. Roll was greatly reduced, steering inputs were sharper, turn-in more immediate and braking was more immediate with no nose dive. I would guess this is similar to 3-2-4-4 on my ACE controller, or thereabouts.

4. On EDC Sport, I could feel damping firm up and the ride got more jittery/bouncy. Roll/pitch control firmed up a tad bit more. The important thing is that it did not feel anywhere near as harsh as I remember stock EDC being. In fact, my friend who was sitting next to me, said he felt that he could easily daily drive Sport mode now whereas in the past it was much too harsh for daily driving. I would estimate EDC Sport to be a 4-4-5-5 on my ACE controller.

5. When testing Normal and Sport mode, the roll and pitch interference was very smooth. I did not feel a lag or anything. It was as smooth as my ACE controller. Switching modes between Comfort - Normal - Sport was also immediate. You could feel the damper firm up immediately.

All in I would say that TracTive integration with EDC is very seamless and you're going to be getting the full TracTive experience. The only added advantage of the ACE controller is the ability to modify the settings. E.g. my Touring setting 2-1-5-5 would not be possible without the ACE controller.

TracTive + EDC is definitely a step up above Ohlins in terms of handling and performance and you don't need to give up EDC.

In other news, during this past weekend's hill run, I swapped cars with my friend who had an E93 M3 cos I wanted to test his ESS 625 supercharger. His car has Ohlins and solid subframe but otherwise stock suspension. Getting back into an Ohlins car with stock arms was a huge contrast to my own. Granted his damping was set on the softer side, but body roll was considerable (partly due to the extra weight of the E93) and I could notice the damper compress before the chassis reacted to my inputs. This resulted in what I will call 'input lag' as compared to my TracTive car which was much more immediate. The E93 owner took my car and his first comments was how solid and sharp my car felt. My TracTive was only set on 2-1-5-5 which is soft damping with roll/pitch full hard.

Last edited by Redd; 04-16-2023 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 5
Shrike360475.50
CTMike262.00
Jon H391.50
Thumbie95.50