BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

01-12-2023, 04:37 PM   #1
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Retrofit Combox connections help

Hi all,

Am new to this and very confused so please be gentle.

I’ve searched and watched YouTube videos but not been able to answer this.

I have retrofitted a cic.

I’m now retrofitting a combox having had a mulf2 and tcu before. I had a usb in the centre console and also a phone cradle.

Before removing the TCU it had space for four fakras going in to it. Though I can only see three.

Beige Blue Black and Pink. The Mulf also had a black hsd for the rear usb port.

I know the beige is the Bluetooth aerial, but I’m wondering what the others are.

The combox is now in and I’ve enclosed a photo of the connections that confuse me.

the beige fakra BT is connected (bt aerial)

the black is the usb HSD from the armrest that was previously connected to the MULF.

the Blue is also an HSD connector and I’m told that is for the mobile phone cradle. Is this true? and if so, since I had a mobile phone cradle from the factory, why do I not have another suitable connection somewhere already to go in here? How did the cradle work before? should there be a blue fakra somewhere?

Finally there are two remaining connections that are paired together. I bought an adapter kit off eBay that separates these into two fakra tales. The only free fakras I have left are the pink and black there were plugged in on the right of the TCU.

Do these plug in there?

I all because in two youtube ret try of it videos, it says don’t worry about connecting these. I’m not worried but I would like to use facilities if I have them. A friend with a similar high spec coupe sent me a pic of his combox and all five connections were populated, his was cic from the factory though.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam
Attached Images

Last edited by Adam M; 01-12-2023 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 07:32 PM   #2
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5, E83 X3, E93 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
I've recently done this retrofit. You need to use realOEM and NewTIS to help answer your questions.

Some of the connections are retrofitted and technically "not correct" for the application. But because they are still an "antenna" it works just fine--the bluetooth connector on the combox being one of them.

Of the two arrows you selected, the one on the right has to do with your SOS I believe. This was a service subscription you would get with the car. In the event you wrecked, there was a way to call emergency services and know your location in such of an event.

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 08:41 PM   #3
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Wiring Configuration of CIC retrofit and COMBOX

Pictures are worth a 1000 words...

There is a TYPO in the TIS information as there is no X13907 connector (that I could find, or what it's supposed to be...I dunno..the next subsequent connector is an X1908) So then it's supposed to be the 7 but mistakenly 6?....

Anyway....take a look of what I put together.
Attached Images

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 12:57 AM   #4
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

Ok that’s a really clear explanation - thanks so much!

I did/do have a telephone cradle but have no idea where it was connected on the mulf2/tcu. I can’t find anything that resembles another HSD plug that I can simply insert or adapt into the combox.

Also the gps antenna is now being used as the Bluetooth antenna? I see that on the pin out but had read that the mulf2 and tcu share the Bluetooth connection with both have a beige plug socket (but only one wire).

I don’t think in have the blue fakra locally which would be the real Bluetooth aerial.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 08:54 AM   #5
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

The Blue socket is for the Media version of the phone socket, but looking at the phone cradle you can't tell without removing it. As you didn't have the Combox before then yours won't be a media version, hence you won't already have the cable. Forget it as you won't get Media working from the cradle anyway, I've tried, others have tried and it just doesn't retrofit no matter what.

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 09:16 AM   #6
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

Dave,

Thanks for all your help.

Can you explain one thing to me though?

If the cream/beige fakra is the GPS aerial, how is it that my car with both a MULF2 and TCU from the factory with factory loom, does not have a bluetooth aerial?

I have bought one from ebay for the Combbox but I'm not sure how my phone was connecting before.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 09:28 AM   #7
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

It is of course possible that the beige fakra was actually plugged in to the MULF2HI, I can't know this because I wasn't the person who unplugged it initially and we didn't take pics.

So maybe it was plugged into the bluetooth aerial connector all along?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 10:26 AM   #8
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

One more question while I'm here.

I bought a kufatec adapter for the combox that connected to both the TCU and MULF2 multiplugs, it also needed a can hi and lo that I connected up to the rear parking module.

Why is it that I on at least two youtube retrofit videos where they have had both MULF and TCU, they havent bothered connecting to the MULF multiplug, just closed the most loop and left it unconnected?

What functionality will I get that they won't, and if nothing, why did I bother?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 10:43 AM   #9
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Adam,

This may be of use to you, scroll down to post 5 & 6...
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1462331

I've also attached a pdf that may have some very useful info in it...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CIC-Combox Retrofit for E63s.pdf (2.37 MB, 710 views)

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 10:50 AM   #10
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

So that thread suggests,

just like everyone whoever talks about this retrofit, that the beige fakra is indeed the bluetooth antenna, yet the pinout you provided above says it's the GPS.

Still confused but I'm now reading the pdf. Just read the PDF, also refers to the white fakra as bluetooth antenna although in his case it was plugged into the MULF not the TCU.

Last edited by Adam M; 01-13-2023 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 12:33 PM   #11
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam M View Post
So that thread suggests,

just like everyone whoever talks about this retrofit, that the beige fakra is indeed the bluetooth antenna, yet the pinout you provided above says it's the GPS.

Still confused but I'm now reading the pdf. Just read the PDF, also refers to the white fakra as bluetooth antenna although in his case it was plugged into the MULF not the TCU.
The White (Cream) Fakra IS the Bluetooth, this is a standard recognised colour for this application. TCU's look like they come in differing styles over the years, so the actual position is down to the sticker on the actual box, so that pin-out above is probably correct for that particular box, but not all of them..

Hope that claryfies it for you

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 01:03 PM   #12
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

That really does!

Sticker on mine has white on the far left - huge relief as that was driving me mad.

Thanks for that - all sorted now.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 01:41 PM   #13
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Suspect TYPO in TIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam M View Post
So that thread suggests,

When I did my COMBOX retrofit, my MULF2 did NOT have the white FAKRA for the BT function--I only had the black USB FAKRA connection. Yet, I had the CCC BT function of just taking calls. I don't understand this.

My vehicle order has the S6FL and NOT the S6NF. Perhaps vehicle order with the S6NF will have this BT antenna harness present...but I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
The White (Cream) Fakra IS the Bluetooth, this is a standard recognised colour for this application. TCU's look like they come in differing styles over the years, so the actual position is down to the sticker on the actual box, so that pin-out above is probably correct for that particular box, but not all of them..

Hope that claryfies it for you
Either the TIS is wrong (which is possible) or there is ANOTHER typo as it clearly states the TCU connector used in this retrofit is for the GPS antenna as per the wiring diagrams and pinouts. Regardless, it's still an antenna--so it will indeed work, but something is not clear here. In my case, neither of these X14081 were populated with a FAKRA on the TCU nor MULF2 which would be the wrong position for the BT antenna.

So then it HAS to be a typo or something...

OP, I had the same concern as you did, but in the end, it still worked. (that PDF isn't exactly a walkthru for our cars; e63 for a 6 series)
Attached Images

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 02:41 PM   #14
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for that, am glad it’s not just me losing it!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 04:04 PM   #15
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone got contact details for a London based person who will do mobile coding?

Needs someone really good!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 10:48 AM   #16
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

Scrap that, found an international guy who knows everything I need.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 11:22 AM   #17
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

It looks as though my kufatec loom adapter is shit!
(Edit - it’s fine - poor workman blaming his tools - tested and wired exactly as it should be).

Last edited by Adam M; 01-18-2023 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0