BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

06-13-2023, 02:30 PM   #1
imystikz
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

xtrons android 11 unit

Hey guys, so I thought I did my research before buying this but clearly not well enough.

I picked up my E92 M3 this morning after having the Xtrons Android 11 Unit and reverse camera installed and the sound quality over Apple CarPlay is awful. I'm assuming you've all heard this before, I did find a post on here this morning that I can't seem to find again!

Is there any way to sort this without taking the unit out and replacing it? I'm assuming the quality is because of the and and wifi connection?

I've been told if I get an android, the sound quality will be better, as it's an android unit, and to be fair, when the guy who installed it tested the android auto with HIS android; the sound quality was definitely better, so the option to get a Samsung for my car just for Spotify is a possibility - but I'd rather not.

Honestly the sound quality is so bad that it's driving me insane, and the unit and installation literally just cost me 1000€ (🤦🏻‍♀️yes I know but my previous screen was also really scratched so it made sense to upgrade to one of those) so you can understand my frustration.

Any help will be appreciated, I'd rather you not tell me I need to throw it in the bin like I was told on Facebook as it was only installed and completed this morning 🫣

Many thanks
Courtney
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 07:23 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

It's an android device. Install Spotify app in the Xtrons and play your music directly from the app. I assume you got the xtrons with the DSP? Lower the volume bar in the xtrons to about 70-80%, there's a lot of noise at higher volume levels.

What sound system does your car have? Playing around with the EQ helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 01:12 AM   #3
imystikz
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
It's an android device. Install Spotify app in the Xtrons and play your music directly from the app. I assume you got the xtrons with the DSP? Lower the volume bar in the xtrons to about 70-80%, there's a lot of noise at higher volume levels.

What sound system does your car have? Playing around with the EQ helps.
Redd, you are a legend. Just adjusting the volume has changed it extremely, thats crazy! I've had to start work so I haven't adjusted anything else yet, but I think I can live with the quality the sound is coming out with now.

Thank you so much, It was seriously stressing me out!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 02:30 AM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

No worries. If you car has Individual Audio I can share my EQ settings to save you some time.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 02:36 AM   #5
imystikz
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No worries. If you car has Individual Audio I can share my EQ settings to save you some time.
I'll be honest, I don't actually know what audio my car has. Whats the easiest way to find out?

Update: I did the vin check with bimmer tech to receive the vehicle specification and I'm pretty sure it doesn't even tell you what the audio system is.

Last edited by imystikz; 06-14-2023 at 04:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 07:13 AM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

A VIN check will show you what options your car left factory with. What's your VIN? You can PM me.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 07:26 AM   #7
imystikz
No_Country
Rep

Cheers, I sent you a PM
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 07:31 AM   #8
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imystikz View Post
Honestly the sound quality is so bad that it's driving me insane
This is the reason why people go with the Mr12Volt unit.

IMO all of those android boxes have terrible sound quality. It will never sound good over Aux.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 07:33 AM   #9
imystikz
No_Country
Rep

I know but sadly I didnt know this before, 1000euros later and I dont want to just throw away so much money. So I'd rather just make the best out of it, and Redd has helped me a lot with his response already and I think I can make it even better once I adjust the EQ ect (hopefully!) then maybe in the future, I could just change to the Mr12Volt, but no chance can I do that right away after spending such a fortune.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 07:07 PM   #10
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm no audiophile and I'd rather listen to the 8 speakers in the engine bay, but with a bit of EQ fiddling the android head units sound decent. Especially the newer ones with DSP (like the Xtrons has). Sure aux will never be as good as digital but it's not horrible either.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 07:09 PM   #11
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imystikz View Post
Cheers, I sent you a PM
For some reason your audio setup really does not show up in a VIN decoder. I tried two different sites. If your front door speakers have a brown center then you have Individual Audio. Otherwise it might be one of the other ones - Base Hifi, HK or L7.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 11:55 AM   #12
imystikz
No_Country
Rep

Cheers Redd, I'm gonna take it to the place that installed it in the next couple of weeks and we're going to adjust it till it sounds as best it can really!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 06:55 PM   #13
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Tip - Adjust as much as you can using the EQ in iDrive. Then only use the EQ in the Xtrons for small changes. The Xtrons introduces noise if the volume/EQ levels are too high.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 04:54 AM   #14
imystikz
No_Country
Rep

Hey guys, me again.

Thanks for the tips red, I've literally had it working 100% ideal, since I last responded to this thread, this was due to adjusting the volume of the android device so cheers!

However, last night I popped a USB in my USB port in the car with a TV show on it to see if I could load it onto the android device to play it in the background whilst driving (With Waze up infront of it), so it would just be to hear it.

I then connected my phone to my outside speakers at my house this morning and since doing this and putting the USB in the car last night..... I am getting ZERO audio from the android device and android auto?

Has anyone experienced this? It's like its working, it plays the song, pauses, skips correctly, everything perfect except no sound at all.

I've tried doing a factory reset twice on the android unit, and trying to adjust settings on the device, android auto, the phone... I am out of options.

Its Sunday so I cant go back to the shop today but I'm tempted to take it back tomorrow and request a full refund and put my car back to original as the device is so temperamental.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 05:51 PM   #15
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Which usb port? The USB port in your center glovebox is NOT connected to the Android device. Pull it out, reselect Aux input in your iDrive, the Android sound should come back.

I think there's a bit of learning curve for you to learn how the android screen works. Treat it like a standalone android phone/tablet. If u want to watch a video file, then download it on the android device. If u want sound to play in background while you have Waze in foreground then you need a media player that supports background playback like MX Player.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 12:40 AM   #16
imystikz
No_Country
Rep

That really helps Red, thank you very much and I will go and try this now! It was the USB port next to the aux in the centre console that I tried and pretty sure it changed the connection some out and messed it up. I will post an update shortly if it worked or not.

Completely agree with the learning curve. Thanks to you, I was actually enjoying the whole thing until I messed it up on Saturday!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 01:09 AM   #17
imystikz
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Which usb port? The USB port in your center glovebox is NOT connected to the Android device. Pull it out, reselect Aux input in your iDrive, the Android sound should come back.

I think there's a bit of learning curve for you to learn how the android screen works. Treat it like a standalone android phone/tablet. If u want to watch a video file, then download it on the android device. If u want sound to play in background while you have Waze in foreground then you need a media player that supports background playback like MX Player.

Hope this helps.
Redd, you are an absolute legend. It's working and I can also get my TV shows to play in the background of Waze, which is cool. I have a 30hour drive ahead of me in September ish so It would be nice to have something in the background to listen to, rather than just music all of the way.

Appreciate your help, I can get back to loving this device.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 08:13 AM   #18
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Any time buddy. Feel free to ask if you need anything else, I'm pretty familiar with Android.

You pretty much have a full blown Android device inside your car. If you want YouTube or Netflix just download the apps, login and you're good to go.

Your xtrons Android screen should have come with two individual USB ports which most installers will route into the glove box. These two ports are directly connected to the Android screen and you can use them to upload videos, files, etc into your Android device.

Last edited by Redd; 07-10-2023 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 03:35 AM   #19
imystikz
No_Country
Rep

Awesome, thank you very much. I had a company purchase and install the device so not sure about the USBs but Ive just purchased a 128gb SD card and popped a few things on that, and its working like a charm! Easy to throw that into the laptop and pop some new stuff on it whenever, but to be fair, Its only during the long journey back that I want the TV show in the background of waze, other than that, the M3 wont be used as regular in the UK as I will have a daily. But good the android unit works 100% for when I will be using it, thank god!
Appreciate 0