BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-25-2023, 05:10 PM   #1
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

ESS G1 Supercharger Blowing Oil Out of Breather

So ever since I got my G1 kit I have had a problem where the blower blows oil out of the breather bolt and onto the blower and hood. I originally thought and it was suggested by ESS that I may have over filled the blower but I have under a half a bottle in the blower and it reads good on the dipstick ( I think, the stick is incredibly hard to read). ESS sent me a new breather and I was told that there was a "redesign" to the internal workings of it but I didn't get a chance to test that last season.

At the beginning of this season I drain and changed the oil on the blower. I took the car out for a hard drive and it is still blowing oil all over the place. Any one else have a similar experience with their G1 blower?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-25-2023, 05:57 PM   #2
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have the G1 and notice that I get oil sometimes sitting on the breather and around the black piece where the belt sits (forget the name of the part). Nothing on the hood though.

The PO swapped the oil out a few years ago and I plan to do it next year for the first time.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 08:13 PM   #3
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Going to ask a dumb question. There should be some oil on the breather occasionally correct? I’m guessing it’s intent is to let out some oil/vapors during normal heating cycles.

On the same note, the breather should be snug on the supercharger correct?
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 08:34 AM   #4
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Disappointing to hear.. I was under the impression ESS were trying to adress this issue as the vortech head unit spews oil too. I make a diaper out of a cheap kitchen sponge and foil tape to prevent a smelly bay before every HPE. I check the oil, the dipstick on the vortech is a piece of crap too. A catch can isn't impossible but with placement, there isn't a ton of room, ideally you'd want it as high as possible, like what other forum members do with the PS resevoir, that's what I'd imagine
      04-26-2023, 09:20 AM   #5
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

while its reassuring to hear that others have this problem as it likely means nothing strange is going on with mine, it is still disappointing to hear.

I believe the oil to be coming out of the breather hole on the breather and not around the treads and O-ring so I doubt a copper washer will change anything.

I don't want to change the topic here but does anyone else think that the dipstick for the g1 is incredibly hard to read? If full, I can see where the oil touched the "cut down" part of the stick but it only appears to read half full as the oil slid downwards, therefor telling me the oil did touch the cut down part but is reading lower. I tried sanding the stick with rough grit sandpaper to try to get the oil to stay at whatever level it dipped into the blower with but that didn't seem to help much. Next step is designing a new dipsticks on my own I guess out of another material. I tried dipping a back zip tie into the oil and that seems to hold the oil at the level it was dipped while being easy to read so maybe I will come up with a plastic dipstick design idk.
Appreciate 0