BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

03-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
carlos3679
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 & 2011 X5M

LEASE W/A TRADE-IN QUESTION **advice needed**

hello all, so I have been lurking on the forum for some time now and have been looking at the great deals people are getting. I was an E46 M3 owner (finance) I then traded the car in for a Range Rover Sport (finance). I am now tired of the sport and want to get an E90 M3, I found an E90 that I like and think I am going to go the lease route due to my tendancy of changing cars so often.

when I go to the dealer and they are getting me a # ($$) for my car, the guy tells me "Galves has your car at $XX" a real low ball $$, when I get home I check galves and the car is listed at $3K more than the # he gave me.

of course now that I am armed with this information the negotiations will begin...but here is what I am trying to understand, I am going from a car that I am financing to a lease (a fancy rental), the dealer is looking to buy my Range Rover and make a profit, then I am going to lease the M3 and return it to them after 3 years, my opinion is that a lease is basically a fancy way of calling it a rental because after I am done paying $725/Month for 3 years I give the car back to them to sell again.

Should'nt the dealer be more agressive w/my trade $$ because they are going to receive the rental at lease end?

What has been the experience of people trading in a vehicle for a lease?

Are dealers more agressive w/what they offer on trade when it comes to lease or not? was it just this one being shady or are all...

thanks...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

My best advice. Start over with another dealer. Negotiate the best purchase price you can. THEN negotiate the trade in value. At that point the trade is your downpayment and you can get a much better lease deal from outside sources(such as Lease compare.com) than BMW's current deals- based on the purchase price and the downpayment/trade in.

I think it is best to look at a lease as a loan in which you borrow the value of the car, pay off the depreciation for the time you have it and pay the interest on the value of the car minus your downpayment. At the end you owe them the car or the remaining value of the car-your choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
carlos3679
Enlisted Member
Rep

I guess it is better to start somewhere else, thanks for the advise, not too many dealers still have new E90 08's in my area, I am limited to local due to the trade in...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
MrAdams
do a wheelie!!!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - '72 2002 - '65 Impala

Garage List
A dealer never pays what a car is worth on a trade in. A lease is not a fancy rental. A chrysler 300 C is, anyway, I agree with the other guy. Work the best deal possible with a dealer and then talk about trade in. now that you somewhat know what you want for your RR you have your ammo. but understand the dealer CAN NOT give you too much for the car. they do need to sell/auction the car. I sold BMW's for about 6 months lemme know if you have any other questions
      03-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

BTW I just ordered an 09 sedan for $560 over invoice so make sure you are getting something substantial for getting an 08 which has old i-drive .
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

The dealer doesn't necessarily get your car back at the end of the lease. Besides the dealer cares about what is happening now, not what MIGHT happen in 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
carlos3679
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
BTW I just ordered an 09 sedan for $560 over invoice so make sure you are getting something substantial for getting an 08 which has old i-drive .
well I am ordering an 08 E90 optioned up to $69.9K it has almost all options but MDCT and the rear curtains. they are selling it for $59K, the only draw is that it has 3K miles, it is JB w/Blk, how does this compare price-wise?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #8
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos3679 View Post
well I am ordering an 08 E90 optioned up to $69.9K it has almost all options but MDCT and the rear curtains. they are selling it for $59K, the only draw is that it has 3K miles, it is JB w/Blk, how does this compare price-wise?
I'll try to not make this too long (as I tend to ramble on) but I had a very similar experince where I worked with the saleman for 2 months (email only and a couple of calls) till I got something close to what I wanted. Only $40 more a month than what I wanted to pay, a small difference to get a new M3! At the time they had four 08 M3's on the lot, 2 coupes, a sedan, and convertible.

I'm leasing a 08 Interlagos Blue coupe with 900 miles on it (when I got it, more now ) and the sticker was $66,500 (36months/12k miles a year). What I find funny was even the day I signed for it in the front window they had the "drive it now price" which was about $65,000 which I eventually got it for about $56,000 before trade-in!

Also at the time I had a car that I financed and still owed about $9500 on. Now from the time I started negociating up till two days before I signed the most they could give me for trade was $8700, but I held out and ended up getting $11,250 for it in the end. Which I see it on the lot now with a price of $12,500. (I think the blue book trade-in value was $10k).

But that was my experince, I really worked with a great guy who I am still surprised he stuck with me those whole 2 months but it finally paid off.

I would think if it's an 08 your looking at with 3k miles you could get a huge deal before trade-in, in fact the dealer I got mine from still has the other three 08's on the lot, though I don't know their mileage.

Enough of my random jumping thoughts, I hope this helped in some way