BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

10-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

c7 Z06 action

Some c7 Z06 action on the Nürburgring Ring

10-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pending...

Sounds absolutely monstrous starting @ :10

Unfortunately, the car slid off the track later that day & got crinkled up a bit--not too bad, though.

Got one on order... :-D
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep

^^^ Hey--that's my color combo! Blue/black wheels/yellow calipers!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Disturbed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Bang for the buck. That ZO6 is bad ass. Hope it's not as crappy as the C6Zo6. Maybe GM will finally put good seats in it. I have always loves the SBC in all its forms. The cam-in-block is never going away. It's just too good. Now that they have figured out veritable cam and lift + DI, these "old school" v8 isn't so old school anymore.

EDIT: Link for who developed veriable cam for "cam in block" engines. Oddly enough it was 1st used back in 2008 with the 4th Gen Viper

http://www.mechadyne-int.com/vva-pro...tric-camshafts

Veriable lift system.

http://www.mechadyne-int.com/vva-products/variable-lift

Edit 2: No production car has used the variable lift system....yet.

Last edited by Disturbed; 10-02-2014 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
Bang for the buck. That ZO6 is bad ass. Hope it's not as crappy as the C6Zo6. Maybe GM will finally put good seats in it. I have always loves the SBC in all its forms. The cam-in-block is never going away. It's just too good. Now that they have figured out veritable cam and lift + DI, these "old school" v8 isn't so old school anymore.

EDIT: Link for who developed veriable cam for "cam in block" engines. Oddly enough it was 1st used back in 2008 with the 4th Gen Viper

http://www.mechadyne-int.com/vva-pro...tric-camshafts

Veriable lift system.

http://www.mechadyne-int.com/vva-products/variable-lift

Edit 2: No production car has used the variable lift system....yet.

The C6 Z06 is very far from crappy.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
^^^ Hey--that's my color combo! Blue/black wheels/yellow calipers!
thats a sexy combo.. i saw blue on a z51 c7, looked great
      10-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
C6 Z06 is sex..any z06 is sex haha
      10-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
Disturbed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you consider roofs flying off, cracking frames, flexing body panels, engines dropping valves, the sub par interior, paint with more orange peel than...well an orange, so-so steering feel and a rubber goose neck shifter with a retarted shifter knob as "not crappy"... Sure, I'll agree with that.

The C6-Zo6 especially 06-08 where junk. They did improve the car over the years I will give them credit for that just because I'm fair and balanced. But it never lived to what it should have been.

My C5Z was a bit of a bucket....but lets face it the best thing about any vette is the SBC sound, and the fact its cheap to mod and maintain...kinda like a mustang. The problem with Vettes is they are 1 trick ponies. It's all about cheap performance. While the performance is very good, it's not good enough to overlook the cars flaws.

This new C7 I'm still not sold on quality of it and yes I've driven a new stingray and wasn't overly impressed. It still has that cheapy, Creapy feel....but the auto is a step in the right direction but the manual still feels flimsy.

Last edited by Disturbed; 10-02-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
Sounds absolutely monstrous starting @ :10

Unfortunately, the car slid off the track later that day & got crinkled up a bit--not too bad, though.

Got one on order... :-D
Is there any video or info on why it went off the track?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
If you consider roofs flying off, cracking frames, flexing body panels, engines dropping valves, the sub par interior, paint with more orange peel than...well an orange, so-so steering feel and a rubber goose neck shifter with a retarted shifter knob as "not crappy"... Sure, I'll agree with that.

The C6-Zo6 especially 06-08 where junk. They did improve the car over the years I will give them credit for that just because I'm fair and balanced. But it never lived to what it should have been.

My C5Z was a bit of a bucket....but lets face it the best thing about any vette is the SBC sound, and the fact its cheap to mod and maintain...kinda like a mustang. The problem with Vettes is they are 1 trick ponies. It's all about cheap performance. While the performance is very good, it's not good enough to overlook the cars flaws.

This new C7 I'm still not sold on quality of it and yes I've driven a new stingray and wasn't overly impressed. It still has that cheapy, Creapy feel....but the auto is a step in the right direction but the manual still feels flimsy.
I had an 07 Z06 for 5 yrs since new. Zero issues or problems. Zero rattles, zero misaligned body panels. Orange peel was there, but name one car that doesnt have it? The steering was more then satisfying with non runflat tires. The stock GY RF sucked balls. The shifter was fine to me. And some roofs came off of 2006 models only. My 2011 M3 had quality issues galore. Panels that did not line up, a folding roof that scratched itself every time you dropped the top, orange peel galore. Would dent if you looked at it wrong. The interior was not much better then my Z06 either. As for pure fun and intoxicating to drive, Z06 hands down.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #12
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Is there any video or info on why it went off the track?
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/2015-ch...200853037.html
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #13
Disturbed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had an 07 Z06 for 5 yrs since new. Zero issues or problems. Zero rattles, zero misaligned body panels. Orange peel was there, but name one car that doesnt have it? The steering was more then satisfying with non runflat tires. The stock GY RF sucked balls. The shifter was fine to me. And some roofs came off of 2006 models only. My 2011 M3 had quality issues galore. Panels that did not line up, a folding roof that scratched itself every time you dropped the top, orange peel galore. Would dent if you looked at it wrong. The interior was not much better then my Z06 either. As for pure fun and intoxicating to drive, Z06 hands down.
You are the lucky one IMHOP.
My personal experience with Vettes have been poor and even the people I know with C6-Z(o6 and Zr1) none were very happy with them and sold quickly. The steering feel even on a ZO6 is no better than any Kia or Toyota...it's simply numb feed back especially when pushed is not there.

My issue with vette is its a spec sheet car. The spec sheet looks great, but the real world driving experience isn't as fun as the spec sheet would have you believe. Vettes have always been a let down in the interior, trans feel and "X" factor area (the area where you just don't want to stop driving).

I call BS on the interior quality being better than a M3. When it comes to that M3 hands down better. I did contemplate buying and test drive 2 ZR1's but chose the M3 this time.

Vipers don't have orange peal, nor do Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, AM ECT. Pretty much any car that costs $80k+ new shouldn't have orange peal.

So you maybe asking yourself how does Disurbed know so much about Vettes?
Long story short I've driven every vette worth driving. A buddy of my is a corvette collected and has over 30 vettes....guess who gets to come over and drive them and help do maintenance....yep that would be me. :-) My fav is his '67 with a cam and carb'd 572. That is one fun car!

I want to be clear I'm not a vette hater, I like them and respect the performance but I have yet to find a vette I love (ok maybe that '67). I feel the same way about a GTR nice car but wouldn't spend my money on one.

Ok enough thread jacking.

C7Z sounds great can't wait to drive one....and I will. :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
You are the lucky one IMHOP.
My personal experience with Vettes have been poor and even the people I know with C6-Z(o6 and Zr1) none were very happy with them and sold quickly. The steering feel even on a ZO6 is no better than any Kia or Toyota...it's simply numb feed back especially when pushed is not there.

My issue with vette is its a spec sheet car. The spec sheet looks great, but the real world driving experience isn't as fun as the spec sheet would have you believe. Vettes have always been a let down in the interior, trans feel and "X" factor area (the area where you just don't want to stop driving).

I call BS on the interior quality being better than a M3. When it comes to that M3 hands down better. I did contemplate buying and test drive 2 ZR1's but chose the M3 this time.

Vipers don't have orange peal, nor do Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, AM ECT. Pretty much any car that costs $80k+ new shouldn't have orange peal.

So you maybe asking yourself how does Disurbed know so much about Vettes?
Long story short I've driven every vette worth driving. A buddy of my is a corvette collected and has over 30 vettes....guess who gets to come over and drive them and help do maintenance....yep that would be me. :-) My fav is his '67 with a cam and carb'd 572. That is one fun car!

I want to be clear I'm not a vette hater, I like them and respect the performance but I have yet to find a vette I love (ok maybe that '67). I feel the same way about a GTR nice car but wouldn't spend my money on one.

Ok enough thread jacking.

C7Z sounds great can't wait to drive one....and I will. :-)
Regarding orange peel, you get plenty of that on BMW cars, including those that cost 80k. Just look at any M6 or M5 for example.

As for interior, yeah, C6 interior was rubbish. But I sat in a C7 interior and it was pretty good, so I can't understand your complaints. And BTW, I asked this question a million times on this forum and no one has a straight answer to it: what exactly is it about an M3 interior that makes it so great? It's just a standard 3 series interior with a few more buttons and some more leather in the door cards. Audis and Mercs have much better interiors than the relatively dull and boring BMW interiors.

IN terms of driving experience, what makes you hate the Z06? I've been a passenger in one, and the acceleration, braking, grip, and handling are mind boggling. Makes the M3 feel like a bus in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #15
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Regarding orange peel, you get plenty of that on BMW cars, including those that cost 80k. Just look at any M6 or M5 for example.

As for interior, yeah, C6 interior was rubbish. But I sat in a C7 interior and it was pretty good, so I can't understand your complaints. And BTW, I asked this question a million times on this forum and no one has a straight answer to it: what exactly is it about an M3 interior that makes it so great? It's just a standard 3 series interior with a few more buttons and some more leather in the door cards. Audis and Mercs have much better interiors than the relatively dull and boring BMW interiors.

IN terms of driving experience, what makes you hate the Z06? I've been a passenger in one, and the acceleration, braking, grip, and handling are mind boggling. Makes the M3 feel like a bus in comparison.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #16
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep

FWIW- I've had multiple C5 & C6 Z06s & they were all reliable for me, save a few minor issues--and I used them for competition, etc. Pretty much bulletproof.

Also, 20 years of C4 ZR-1 ownership--and other than a crap Bose radio & AC that went out in year 19--no issues. Granted it only has 27k mi & is mainly under a cover--but still. ;-)

I guess I've been lucky...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

so

freaking

sexy
Appreciate 0