BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

07-02-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 aw/cf m3

First Place Finish Car Care System

I wanted to see if anyone knows whether this is a waste of money. I got it on my 328 that I just traded, and as I told the salesman, when I brought it in every six months to re-apply the "acrylic" it often did not look any better than when I took it in. I just got my m3 and wonder if I would be better off investing in my own buffer and waxes? any info would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

What do they charge for that?

Personally, I would never trust the dealer with anything like that. I'd rather do it myself or pay a professional detailer.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtm3 View Post
I wanted to see if anyone knows whether this is a waste of money. I got it on my 328 that I just traded, and as I told the salesman, when I brought it in every six months to re-apply the "acrylic" it often did not look any better than when I took it in. I just got my m3 and wonder if I would be better off investing in my own buffer and waxes? any info would be appreciated.
i'd either pay someone or invest in the stuff yourself and read how to do it. avoid the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Zaino...

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 aw/cf m3

They charge $699. Apply it every 6 months for 3 years. Then guarantee the paint for 5 years. If it's just wax, I can buy a hell of a lot of wax for $699
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
avoid the dealer.
Bigtime! That goes for just about everything. Words to live by.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
gskara
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Convertible

I Bought It

I took delivery of my new M3 convertible about 3 weeks ago in Richmond. I bought the First Place Finish package. The primary reason I spent the money was because of the warranty that comes with it. I had my 07 335 for 1 year and with all the tree sap, bird droppings, acid rain and sun in Richmond, there were stains and water spots in the finish even though I took very good care of the car. I didn't want that to happen again so I thought that investing in the First Place Finish product was worth it for the warranty alone.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
rcornelius
Faster
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe Melbourne Red/Black

Quote:
Don't waste anymore of your money. The dealer knows that he is taking you to the cleaners!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
johnL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

This is probably the same as the permaplate crap my lexus dealership tried to sell me when my wife bought her Lexus. It is a total waste of money. For that price, you can hire a pro detailer ever 6 months, and they'll even remove swirls and scratches for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

I would agree with everyone and avoid the dealer. Buy a nice sealant such as Chemical Guys Jet seal or Griot's Paint Sealant and that will basically the same stuff the dealer will apply to your car. To make the paint shine even more apply a good carnuba wax on top of the sealant and you will have a beautiful paint job with minimal effort and save the $699.00, plus you know the quality of the job since you did it yourself.
This is what I have and it has given me excellent results,
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...%26+wax+kit.do
      11-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
dmillerj
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 Four Runner

Quote:
The issue of cost is up to each individual whether you see the value in such products. And yes many dealers have found chemical products to be an excellent profit builder. However, I am reminded of a comparison between a part of the human anatomy and opinions...some stink. Unlike in years past automobile dealers have become very aware of what their employees are telling their customers. Making claims such as bumper to bumper warranties have created many problems for dealers and most have come to realize these mistakes. Remember, I said most dealers not all. Chemical packages for instance. Finance managers were telling the consumer how great a product is and how it protects the value of your new car but..... What they didn't tell you is the limit of liability for most of these products is nothing more than detailing the effected area of the vehicle that has been etched by any one of several environmental bugs that are in the air. From tree sap to bird droppings you think you are protected. You have a claim and your vehicle has been damaged by tree sap. You return to the dealership and the detail person takes your car to a place that you can't see. You get it back and what you have is a shinny blemish which is not close to your expectation of a repair. Then you read your contract and there it is in clear English exactly what the limit of liability is which is to detail the effected area. You didn't read the contract not because you trusted the dealer but because we are too lazy and in a hurry to start burning gas in our new vehicle. Some of today's products have warranties that will repaint or replace interior if they cannot be cleaned or detailed. Many don't even require multiple applications to validate the warranty. Competition for this business has pushed these companies to do more research and modify their commitments to the end user of their products. Xzilon for example provides a 5 year repaint and replace warranty with one application at the time of sale. I've purchased this product on my 2006 and 2010 Four Runner's and nothing has ever touched the finish on my paint. I'm not here to sell anything but more to suggest that some of you may be a little too narrow minded concerning dealers and the products they offer. The multiple applications that some require is nothing more than an engine that drives customers back to the dealership. $500 to $600 may be a lot to pay for 5 or 6 years protection but I consider $100 per year to have my vehicle repainted and/or interior material replaced is cheap insurance.
Appreciate 0