BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
NashvegasR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F83

Shift Lights - 2009 M3 - Intermittent

Experiencing what seems to be "random" shift light in a DCT car. Mine seem to be operating sometimes.. not all the time (which is what i want).

I have both I-drive M key settings set to "shift lights on"... and the "shift lights on" setting is set in M Drive. (layman's bad explanation)

But -- yesterday -- driving home on an onramp.. AGAIN no shift lights. I just about hit redline, so I'm sure.

Then. 5 mins later. Car had not been turned off. Same key (obviously). 1st gear. Shift lights came on.

As far as I know, I am not crazy, and my eyesight is good

I've noticed this a few times recently. Anyone else seen this?

NOT the end of the world because in reality I'm just driving around and not on a track or anything where it's actually information I need to drive the car well... but still... I think they are cool, and I like to see them when they should be on.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
Krockit1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Shift lights come on only if M drive is engaged
      07-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvegasR View Post
Experiencing what seems to be "random" shift light in a DCT car. Mine seem to be operating sometimes.. not all the time (which is what i want).

I have both I-drive M key settings set to "shift lights on"... and the "shift lights on" setting is set in M Drive. (layman's bad explanation)

But -- yesterday -- driving home on an onramp.. AGAIN no shift lights. I just about hit redline, so I'm sure.

Then. 5 mins later. Car had not been turned off. Same key (obviously). 1st gear. Shift lights came on.

As far as I know, I am not crazy, and my eyesight is good

I've noticed this a few times recently. Anyone else seen this?

NOT the end of the world because in reality I'm just driving around and not on a track or anything where it's actually information I need to drive the car well... but still... I think they are cool, and I like to see them when they should be on.
When shift lights setting is on and reaching redline they should be on !
But...don't forget it's a ///M(MDM) setting and only will work when MDM button (on your steering wheel) is activated !
So when MDM button is not activated,shift lights will not work !
Personal i'm thinking that's the cause of your problem .
Hope this will help......

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
T3X4S
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 MW M3

Garage List
Shift lights should come on if you have turned on setting for shift lights to come on in the I-drive even when not in M mode. Mine comes on even when not in M mode. It sounds like something is not working properly.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

MDM has nothing to do with the shift lights - They can be set to work with or without MDM mode. They only light up under heavy throttle. If you're heavy on the gas, they light up but if you slowly climb to redline, it won't

You can set the shift lights through options. Search the forum
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3X4S View Post
Shift lights should come on if you have turned on setting for shift lights to come on in the I-drive even when not in M mode. Mine comes on even when not in M mode. It sounds like something is not working properly.
Agree, checked this today and same here; ones set in M-key it doesn't matter whether M-button is engaged or not but should show shift light.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
NashvegasR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F83

I think this may be the answer -- "MDM has nothing to do with the shift lights - They can be set to work with or without MDM mode. They only light up under heavy throttle. If you're heavy on the gas, they light up but if you slowly climb to redline, it won't "

Earlier yesterday when i was testing it out... I was just downshifting to get the revs higher, ... maybe that's it. I drove around last night and in s (manual Dct mode) i was getting shift lights.

Interesting, i guess I just assumed that they'd light up 100% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Hmm, I wonder. I'd say the light is relevant to show yr coming closer redline regardless how fast u get there?

I'll check tomorrow!

Cheers

Ps. But yes, guess it only works in manual - never checked auto as not relevant in that mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #9
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hmm, I wonder. I'd say the light is relevant to show yr coming closer redline regardless how fast u get there?

I'll check tomorrow!

Cheers

Ps. But yes, guess it only works in manual - never checked auto as not relevant in that mode.
The shift lights are meant to draw attention to the revs when your eyes are presumably on the road under heavy throttle. The reason they don't light up when you slowly climb is because you should be able to either hear or visually see the revs coming close to redline.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

In S5, at 8400 rpm is it a hard limiter i.e. the car won't rev past and fuel cut-off will occur on OEM software. Or will it allow over-revs in manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:12 AM   #11
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

has nothing to do with the M setting. it's how much throttle you give the car. just like you can't engage launch control just anywhere, the shift lights will not light up unless you drive with a real heavy foot.

Personally, I find them only useful in the most ideal situations, i.e. road conditions, closed track, etc... because the car wants to be driven very hard when it starts showing the shift lights.
      07-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #12
wojcikgu
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

It sounds like something is not working properly.
      07-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjernazian View Post
has nothing to do with the M setting. it's how much throttle you give the car. just like you can't engage launch control just anywhere, the shift lights will not light up unless you drive with a real heavy foot.

Personally, I find them only useful in the most ideal situations, i.e. road conditions, closed track, etc... because the car wants to be driven very hard when it starts showing the shift lights.
Had to try this today; the lights comes on even at slow rev increase. Makes sense in my world.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
M3GarageKing
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93#DTC Lexus IS350 Fsport DD

umm i did not know my shift light only comes on when I am on M mode.. thanks!
Appreciate 0