BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

07-14-2020, 09:31 PM   #1
cjpavao
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3

Good Headlight Bulbs?

I rarely catch my car with the headlights on, but the other night I noticed the original 4300k D1S headlight bulbs are looking pretty outdated with the dull purplish beam and I’d like to replace them with some fresh updated bulbs.

Can anyone recommend a good headlight bulb replacement? Preferably 6000k led, a more crisp and brighter light like the newer cars would be ideal. It’d be nice to match the color of the LUX 189 angel eyes too. Not looking for some cheap ebay headlight bulbs from China either. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
e90m3808
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Osram.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayocpavao View Post
I rarely catch my car with the headlights on, but the other night I noticed the original 4300k D1S headlight bulbs are looking pretty outdated with the dull purplish beam and I’d like to replace them with some fresh updated bulbs.

Can anyone recommend a good headlight bulb replacement? Preferably 6000k led, a more crisp and brighter light like the newer cars would be ideal. It’d be nice to match the color of the LUX 189 angel eyes too. Not looking for some cheap ebay headlight bulbs from China either. Thanks!
Osram nightbreaker for best illumination with more yellow
Osram cool blue boost for best bluish lighting

Phillips xv2 for white

Last edited by Bubbles; 09-01-2020 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd5996.50
      09-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayocpavao View Post

The LUX H8 189 are designed to match up with the stock color of the headlights. If you go with a cooler xenon bulb then the LUX H8 V6 may be a better choice as they are adjustable to match.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 01:21 PM   #5
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Osram nightbreaker for best illumination with more yellow
Osram cool blue boost for best bluish lighting

Phillips xv2 for white
HID Concept currently has a 15% promo (FALL15) and I'm about to upgrade to Osram's - just deciding which ones.

Cool Blue Boost (CBB) seems to be the most popular option @ 7k temp.

Cool Blue Advance (CBA) seems to be a newer option @ 6k temp

Has anyone compared the two? Or used CBA - I'm intrigued on this option. The 7k temp of the CBB seems almost "ricer" but what do I know
      10-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #6
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post
HID Concept currently has a 15% promo (FALL15) and I'm about to upgrade to Osram's - just deciding which ones.

Has anyone compared the two? Or used CBA - I'm intrigued on this option. The 7k temp of the CBB seems almost "ricer" but what do I know

I’m prefer the Phillips, however the CBB is very white (not as blue as indicated). Here is a comparison pic between the Phillips and CBB, note the output is from a zkw lens not stock fresnel lens.
Attached Images

10-19-2020, 08:37 PM   #7
noremaC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I’m prefer the Phillips, however the CBB is very white (not as blue as indicated). Here is a comparison pic between the Phillips and CBB, note the output is from a zkw lens not stock fresnel lens.
Which philips bulb is this? Direct plug and play with stock headlights?
      10-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Which philips bulb is this? Direct plug and play with stock headlights?

Philips +150% X-treme Vision HID Bulb 85415XV2C1

I purchased from hidconcept, any ds1 bulb will be plug and play.
      10-20-2020, 08:50 AM   #9
noremaC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Philips +150% X-treme Vision HID Bulb 85415XV2C1

I purchased from hidconcept, any ds1 bulb will be plug and play.
Would you say the Philips has better output than the Osram? I think I prefer the color of the Osram in the comparison photo (assume CBB is bottom) but it's hard to tell.
      10-20-2020, 10:01 PM   #10
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Would you say the Philips has better output than the Osram? I think I prefer the color of the Osram in the comparison photo (assume CBB is bottom) but it's hard to tell.

Not an output issue, the CBB can throw major distance. I prefer a warmer color for driving at night. Also zkw lens throws off major color, which was a bit much coupled with CBB. It’s tough to take pictures to show the true difference other than the hot spot. I change bulbs after about a year to maintain 80% brightness, bulbs tend to blue out as they age. Either bulb is a good choice. If you stick with OEM bulb manufacturers you can’t go wrong since they embed UV protection to minimize the chance of projector burn. Aftermarket generally do not provide that level of protection.
      12-12-2020, 02:32 AM   #11
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Not an output issue, the CBB can throw major distance. I prefer a warmer color for driving at night. Also zkw lens throws off major color, which was a bit much coupled with CBB. It’s tough to take pictures to show the true difference other than the hot spot. I change bulbs after about a year to maintain 80% brightness, bulbs tend to blue out as they age. Either bulb is a good choice. If you stick with OEM bulb manufacturers you can’t go wrong since they embed UV protection to minimize the chance of projector burn. Aftermarket generally do not provide that level of protection.
Hey Bubbles, so is Osram (4k night breaker) one of the OEM bulbs?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #12
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hey Bubbles, so is Osram (4k night breaker) one of the OEM bulbs?

Thanks
Yes, Osram and Phillips are OEM providers.
      12-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #13
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Yes, Osram and Phillips are OEM providers.
Cheers mate. And apparently they are the best, so easy decision.
My lights works fine but are original since 2011. Debating whether worth while replacing them. Not a big effort but don't want to spend time and $200 for nothing.
Apparently you change on a regular bases, so assume you notice a difference?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #14
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Tons of info on both osram and philips options over on the TRS YouTube site. Also search an check out HIDplanet. Lots of opinions over there too. If you're running the original oem bulbs, any of the newer osram or philips bulbs will be an improvement.
      12-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #15
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
Tons of info on both osram and philips options over on the TRS YouTube site. Also search an check out HIDplanet. Lots of opinions over there too. If you're running the original oem bulbs, any of the newer osram or philips bulbs will be an improvement.
Cheers Shimmy. While we (me incl) on this board like to update everything down to details, no, I haven't read much about replacing zenon bulbs. I'm not looking for brighter/different light frequency, just whether the original 4.3k luminans improves with new bulbs.

What made me wonder at all is when a mate changed his bulbs (Audi) which made an improvement no doubt, this was a very old/long driven car though.

Guess I get a set and try.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #16
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Quote:
Cheers Shimmy. While we (me incl) on this board like to update everything down to details, no, I haven't read much about replacing zenon bulbs. I'm not looking for brighter/different light frequency, just whether the strenght/original luminans improves with new bulbs.

What made me wonder at all is when a mate changed his bulbs (Audi) which made an improvement no doubt, this was a very old/long driven car though.

Guess I get a set and try.
I love lighting mods and have done a few headlight retrofits. Keeping up with bulb technology is like oled TVs!! There's a new version every year !
      12-14-2020, 09:06 PM   #17
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Cheers mate. And apparently they are the best, so easy decision.
My lights works fine but are original since 2011. Debating whether worth while replacing them. Not a big effort but don't want to spend time and $200 for nothing.
Apparently you change on a regular bases, so assume you notice a difference?

Thanks
It’s one of those things that you don’t appreciate until you swap in new bulbs and see what you are missing. Based on what I experienced, Phillips illumination tends to last longer than osram. Osram tends to be brighter out of the box new but tend to fall off a bit sooner than Phillips. Both are good options. I purchase a bulb set when there is a sale and it ends up costing about 150 per year for top tier bulbs with authentication stamps. With some of the rural roads I travel it’s a no brainer.

With original bulbs, you will have significant improvement with a new set.
      12-14-2020, 09:08 PM   #18
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Good sources and some of the Swedish Volvo forums offer great info as well, especially on e46 projectors that are fitted to the the e90s gen m3.
      12-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #19
noremaC
United_States
Rep

I've been running Osram Cool Blue Advance (CBA) which seems to be their latest model for 2 months. Definitely more blue/white than stock but great output and color for a refreshed look. Would not recommend if you're looking to replicate OEM temp/color, otherwise 👍
      12-15-2020, 08:34 AM   #20
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
It’s one of those things that you don’t appreciate until you swap in new bulbs and see what you are missing. Based on what I experienced, Phillips illumination tends to last longer than osram. Osram tends to be brighter out of the box new but tend to fall off a bit sooner than Phillips. Both are good options. I purchase a bulb set when there is a sale and it ends up costing about 150 per year for top tier bulbs with authentication stamps. With some of the rural roads I travel it’s a no brainer.

Thanks for your input Bubbles!

After checking out the Philips/Osram extra brightness I ended up placing order on OSRAM standard 66140 Xenarc. Figured they will do the trick while providing reasonable life time (which 4 years warranty indicates).
And, very nice 40 Euros each!

You seems to be a light expert. Do you take out the projector lenses and clean them up as well? Mine looks pretty dimm but might be the buld. We'll see!

Last edited by Helmsman; 12-15-2020 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #21
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
It's one of those things that you don't appreciate until you swap in new bulbs and see what you are missing. Based on what I experienced, Phillips illumination tends to last longer than osram. Osram tends to be brighter out of the box new but tend to fall off a bit sooner than Phillips. Both are good options. I purchase a bulb set when there is a sale and it ends up costing about 150 per year for top tier bulbs with authentication stamps. With some of the rural roads I travel it's a no brainer.

Thanks for your input Bubbles!

After checking out the Philips/Osram extra brightness I ended up placing order on OSRAM standard 66140 Xenarc. Figured they will do the trick while providing reasonable life time (which 4 years warranty indicates).
And, very nice 40 Euros each!

You seems to be a light expert. Do you take out the projector lenses and clean them up as well? Mine looks pretty dimm but might be the buld. We'll see!
Cleaning them up will help. If you do this process, make sure to seal them properly, as well as add some UV protection, so they last longer.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #22
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Anyone upgrade to LED headlight bulbs?

If so, which ones?

Are they brighter than the stock xenons?
Appreciate 0