BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

07-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #1
beatboxa
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Jerez Black

Help! Parasitic Drain...

Hoping someone here can help me out...

My e92 wouldn't start the other day, 1-2 days after I parked it. I thought I must have left a light on or something. I live in an apartment complex with a shared garage and no plugs; so I removed the battery, brought it up to my apartment, charged it, and reinstalled it.

The car started and drove fine for a day or two. Then, I parked it again. 2-3 days later, the battery was completely dead again. Not even enough juice to unlock the car.

The battery appears to be fine. So I recharged it again, reinstalled it again and drove around just fine.

This time, I pulled codes, and cleared all codes. So, starting with a clean slate.

I just parked it for 2 hours. Then, leaving the keys far away (out of range), and walked up to the car--the "Start/Stop" button is still illuminated. So the car isn't going to sleep. I started the car, and pulled the codes with Bimmerlink. I should note that the battery appeared to still be full at this point, though it had only been parked for 2 hours.

In case it helps, here are the errors I got between parking it for 2 hours and starting it up):

Engine Electronics
2791: IBS general

Telematics Control Unit
D690: TCU: ring fracture diagnosis was performed (Error_Ring_Diagnose)

Electronic Damper Control K
5FF0: CAN vehicle speed: timeout or invalid
5FF5: CAN outside temperature: timeout or invalid
5FF6: CAN mileage timeout or invalid
5FF8: CAN wheel speeds: timeout or invalid

Instrument Cluster
a559: KL30g_f shutdown

Before clearing the first time, I previously had a lot more errors that I have also recorded, and I can post those as well if it's helpful.

For now, I've disconnected the negative battery terminal while I sort out my next move.

Can someone help me in how to diagnose what's still drawing power?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
jra85
M3NTAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

If you haven't received any insight on this yet, I suggest reading through this thread:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283704

Your issue sounds like a failed EDC module, specifically the symptom of the Start button remaining illuminated for an extended period of time. If you feel inclined to dismantle your trunk, the EDC module is located on the right side behind the trim and insulation on the wall of the trunk, above the battery and slightly forward of it. You can try disconnecting the blue and white connectors attached to the module (the blue connector has a black lever to unlock it, the white connector has a sliding lock), and if your Start button light starts behaving normally and goes off, the module is likely the culprit. You'd have to source a new one and have it programmed for your car either by a dealer or a coder.
Appreciate 1
irokwrx765.00
      08-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #3
beatboxa
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Jerez Black

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that thread before I posted.

A day or two after I posted this a few weeks ago, I just went ahead an ordered a new (used) EDC and installed it; but I couldn't figure out how to code or register it properly.

Took it to a shop and they coded & registered it for me. All in I think I spent around $200-$300. Problem solved. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0