BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

10-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #67
AreOut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

well I guess using E9X M3 sound in M2 promotional video tells you everything about the thread title comparison
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 05:16 PM   #68
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

only if my wife want it, i would love to add this to my stable but I doubt it since its only 2 drs.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 04:17 AM   #69
nmehta211
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreOut
well I guess using E9X M3 sound in M2 promotional video tells you everything about the thread title comparison
Noticed that too. But no one on m2 forum gets it. Maybe piped in sound? If so I like that much more than the m4!

08 E90 M3 Interlagos Blue
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #2--Sold
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #1--Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #70
AreOut
Second Lieutenant
Rep

nah it's just E9X sound file
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #71
abp689
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Wagon,330ZHP, 318Ti (MT)

When I started this thread, I was holding out for the M2 but came real close to a black e92MT - if it had been white with no moon roof I would have purchased it on the spot.

Not sure what happened, but I ended up with this:
Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1065
Size:  340.1 KB

Looking forward to the M2 reviews, but I may end up getting the e92 in a couple of years if I grow tired of the e46.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #72
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

You jumped the gun too early, the
M2 looks like the bargain! It is definitley going to be faster then the E92 m3 and maybe as fast as the m4 on the street.
      10-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #73
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
You jumped the gun too early, the
M2 looks like the bargain! It is definitley going to be faster then the E92 m3 and maybe as fast as the m4 on the street.

It could be as fast as a Porsche 918 it's still no E92 ///M3 wasn't meant to be never will be. Nice car on it's own merit though.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #74
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abp689 View Post
When I started this thread, I was holding out for the M2 but came real close to a black e92MT - if it had been white with no moon roof I would have purchased it on the spot.

Attachment 1300192

Looking forward to the M2 reviews, but I may end up getting the e92 in a couple of years if I grow tired of the e46.

Nice car
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #75
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
E92 M3 without a doubt. Several people hit the nail on the head already with the fact it's the last V8 of its kind. Turbos and diesel are the future platforms moving forward. The S65 or NA variants like it will not be produced due to MPG. More upgrades all available currently for the E92 but the M2 stuff is coming. I think bang for your buck and driving experience belong to the M3 in this debate. I'm sure the M2 will come around eventually but now your limited by what's available upgrade wise, which isn't a lot. Plus the M3 really pisses of Corvette drivers I've found!
      10-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #76
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:

Attachment 1300192

nice! looks clean,
such a timeless design
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 12:42 AM   #77
m3_love
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

For those who wants to go stupid fast with a tune and bolt ons, with no doubt the M2, but for those seeking a more engaging motor and chassis, the e9x M3

Quote:

Attachment 1300192

The e46 M3 is the universally loved M. You did good there, just enjoy it until you find it necessary to move on to the e9x platform.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 07:26 AM   #78
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I think the problem in comparing the latest gen M2/3/4 to the e9x platform is the fact that except for the engine, the new gen of cars is clearly superior from an engineering standpoint.

On the flip side, the subjective experience of the S65 engine so is superior to almost anything out there south of Supercar territory.

So....you are left with the choice between an overall better car with a subjectively weaker engine, or a legendary engine, in an otherwise less capable car. Keep in mind that "less capable" is just a relative term. I had found my e92 to be more than adeqaute in all aspects.

Really no right or wrong answer here. It depends on what really floats your boat in terms of the driving experience.

Last edited by LarThaL; 10-18-2015 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #79
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I think the problem in comparing the latest gen M2/3/4 to the e9x platform is the fact that except for the engine, the new gen of cars is clearly superior from an engineering standpoint.

On the flip side, the subjective experience of the S65 engine so is superior to almost anything out there south of Supercar territory.

So....you are left with the choice between an overall better car with a subjectively weaker engine, or a legendary engine, in otherwise less capable car. Keep in mind that "less capable" is just a relative term. I had found my e92 to be more than adeqaute in all aspects.

Really no right or wrong answer here. It depends on what really floats your boat in terms of the driving experience.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #80
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
So.. a good time to revive this thread? The M2 was unveiled yesterday.

I can't make up my mind on that vs the E92 M3. The M2 goes around the 'ring faster, but does that mean anything on the street?

On one hand the engine seems attractive for the usable torque but on the other hand if I'm going to get N55 anyway, why not an E92 335i instead? I know it still won't have the suspension and the DCT and the LSD and all the invisible parts of an M car, but still..
Most of this metrics that people go on about during heated internet debates mean nothing in the real world as 99.5% of us do not race competitively on the track and if we did, we wouldn't be using a factory stock version of any car.

To me it comes down to feel, sound, looks, performance features, and price. I still have no regrets about getting my m3 several months ago, but I think that the m2 came out exceedingly well at least in the looks department. Estimated prices I've seen floating around aren't bad for what it is. But I still don't have a sense of std vs optional equipment for the US.

If you're a torque junky, I don't think the e9x cars are for you. The amount and swell of torque that even stock turbo I6 BMWs offer is impressive. I've liked the 3.0t BMWs that's I've driven in the past. And turbo cars are generally easier and a bit cheaper to obtain noticeable hp and tq gains.

It will be interesting to read the reviews of the car to see if the size difference and any suspension tweaks give the M2 a more involving feel than the current M4. Versus a 340? I would hope that the M4 chassis bit would make the m2 a more engaging driving experience than a 340. However, it looks like there will be a new performance package for the 340 that makes it a bit more fun to drive than the std car.

Like everything, it will come down to the drive and the price.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #81
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
Most of this metrics that people go on about during heated internet debates mean nothing in the real world as 99.5% of us do not race competitively on the track and if we did, we wouldn't be using a factory stock version of any car.

To me it comes down to feel, sound, looks, performance features, and price. I still have no regrets about getting my m3 several months ago, but I think that the m2 came out exceedingly well at least in the looks department. Estimated prices I've seen floating around aren't bad for what it is. But I still don't have a sense of std vs optional equipment for the US.

If you're a torque junky, I don't think the e9x cars are for you. The amount and swell of torque that even stock turbo I6 BMWs offer is impressive. I've liked the 3.0t BMWs that's I've driven in the past. And turbo cars are generally easier and a bit cheaper to obtain noticeable hp and tq gains.

It will be interesting to read the reviews of the car to see if the size difference and any suspension tweaks give the M2 a more involving feel than the current M4. Versus a 340? I would hope that the M4 chassis bit would make the m2 a more engaging driving experience than a 340. However, it looks like there will be a new performance package for the 340 that makes it a bit more fun to drive than the std car.

Like everything, it will come down to the drive and the price.
I agree. That 'feel' is an intangible thing and can't be judged quickly. When I went out with the idea of replacing my e92 328i with something, I test drove several cars that are quite quick - including some V8 Mustangs and a couple of Audi S4s. Sure they are quick, but somehow my 3 coupe as a package feels... more comfortable, I feel more in-control, I feel like driving it comes more naturally to me in it. This isn't because I am used to it, because I am used to changing my car every other year and I drive a lot of different cars. I have never felt this way before. Despite the low power (which also I have learned to work around by keeping it in DS mode and revs above 2k), I feel like my E92 has a superior 'feel' to many faster cars. Only other BMWs have a feel to rival it. In fact, for this reason I am afraid to buy anything other than a bimmer now. Whenever I do, I regret it in like a month - no matter how powerful, fast or luxurious its supposed to be.

However, since the M2 is not only a BMW but an M, I have hopes it will deliver .
      10-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #82
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I agree. That 'feel' is an intangible thing and can't be judged quickly. When I went out with the idea of replacing my e92 328i with something, I test drove several cars that are quite quick - including some V8 Mustangs and a couple of Audi S4s. Sure they are quick, but somehow my 3 coupe as a package feels... more comfortable, I feel more in-control, I feel like driving it comes more naturally to me in it. This isn't because I am used to it, because I am used to changing my car every other year and I drive a lot of different cars. I have never felt this way before. Despite the low power (which also I have learned to work around by keeping it in DS mode and revs above 2k), I feel like my E92 has a superior 'feel' to many faster cars. Only other BMWs have a feel to rival it. In fact, for this reason I am afraid to buy anything other than a bimmer now. Whenever I do, I regret it in like a month - no matter how powerful, fast or luxurious its supposed to be.

However, since the M2 is not only a BMW but an M, I have hopes it will deliver .
Interesting. I traded a '12 Mustang GT on the M. I agree with what you're saying. The Mustang is a very basic tool for speed, but it's not very graceful in how it goes about doing it's thing. Also, the seating position and amount of glass in the e9x platform is just much nicer. I'm not sure I would go so far as to say that I would not leave BMW--Porsche sports cars and even the C63 I drove were all fantastic. But there is definitely a certain something that permeates most BMW cars--BMWness!

I'd like to own some other cars in the future, but me getting rid of the M3 won't be because I don't like it (unless it starts falling apart on me!). I'm sure the M2 will be a very solid car for those making the purchase. I'm also not so much of a M purist. It's really just about the drive---it doesn't need bespoke elements to float my boat. Although it doesn't hurt either!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #83
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreOut View Post
Is this verified? When I listened to the exhaust, I thought...huh, this sounds a lot better. Almost sounds like the s65 revving below 4000 rpms.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 09:58 PM   #84
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
Is this verified? When I listened to the exhaust, I thought...huh, this sounds a lot better. Almost sounds like the s65 revving below 4000 rpms.
Yes.
Discussed in pages 23 and 24 of the M2 wallpapers sticky.

See below for tl;dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Its clearly dubbed over with a S65 V8 sound. Sort of a mix if you ask me.

I'm sure someone soon will post a video of the real deal - exhaust. Its gonna sound raspy like a 1M/M4 exhaust.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #85
AreOut
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
what's there to verify? It clearly does sound as NA engine, and if you compare it with S65 then yes it basically sounds same (albeit maybe a bit processed).
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #86
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:

If you don't need the practicality offered by many BMWs, the feel of a Porsche is unrivaled outside of supercar circles.

Shameless plug.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxXrDIevmlY
      10-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #87
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Quote:
If you don't need the practicality offered by many BMWs, the feel of a Porsche is unrivaled outside of supercar circles.

Shameless plug.....

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxXrDIevmlY[/u2b]
I've heard that, thats why I resist test-driving a Porsche . Because I know I will not be able to buy one (I do need four seats now and then, can't justify a second car), and I will be f**ked for ever. Why do a test drive and kill my own happiness
      10-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #88
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Shameless plug.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxXrDIevmlY
I have to disagree with that. I'm sure there are certain Porsche sports cars that have unrivaled feel--the boxster I drove several year ago was about the most perfect experience I've felt on the street. OTOH, I drove a couple of 997s (nonS and S) and they didn't feel much better on the street than the M3 I ended up buying. I would say that the only aspect of the 997 that felt vastly better than the M3 is the brake pedal feel. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed by how pedestrian the 997 felt.

When I go Porsche one day, I want the experience to knock my socks off. The 997 carrera did not that, but I have high hopes for a Cayman S and beyond or an iteration of a modern 911 beyond the carrera S range.
Appreciate 0