BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #67
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMWNashville View Post
Anyone else think the misfire/smoking/bad cat may play into an injector issue?
Usually injectors on this car stay stuck in 'full open' when they fail. In that case they strip the cylinder and you have a boom not long after

I did replace one of the injectors along with the pile of parts i threw at it at first
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMWNashville View Post
Anyone else think the misfire/smoking/bad cat may play into an injector issue?
Usually injectors on this car stay stuck in 'full open' when they fail. In that case they strip the cylinder and you have a boom not long after

I did replace one of the injectors along with the pile of parts i threw at it at first
I agree they usually fail stuck wide open but anything is possible. Cats are not common to go bad on these cars especially being clogged
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #68
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Sorry to hear about this.

If the pistons/rods are shot, I need a paperweight for my desk. Crank might be a bit large for a paperweight, but I could use it to motivate some coworkers!

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do. I'm actually quite stunned no one said "LS7"...lol

I'm very curious to see the rod bearings as even if they got some crap in them from the mains failing (if the mains did indeed fail), we should be able to see the wear patterns or lack thereof.
The crank is massive and surprisingly heavy. It is an interesting piece though. Definitely good for motivating people!

If you want a piston I'm sure it can be arranged.

No LS7 in here. Very happy with the S65 despite this set back.
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      08-02-2018, 07:22 AM   #69
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Sorry if I missed it, but how did you (or the mechanic) see that the cat is clogged? Is it easy to notice, or does it require some test to prove it?
I have the same x-pipe, so far it's catless, but I intend to put some high flow cats to deal with the smell. I don't track my car so often though.

This is so sad man, a whole engine blown because of some stupid exhaust...
      08-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #70
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokemycocktus View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but how did you (or the mechanic) see that the cat is clogged? Is it easy to notice, or does it require some test to prove it?
I have the same x-pipe, so far it's catless, but I intend to put some high flow cats to deal with the smell. I don't track my car so often though.

This is so sad man, a whole engine blown because of some stupid exhaust...
Before taking it to a third mechanic I removed the HFC xpipe to replace it with the OEM one. I wanted to transplant the HFC Xpipe into the E92 to enjoy a louder exhaust while the E90 was repaired. Upon removing it I saw the cat had died.

This xpipe places the HFCs in the primary cat position to try to get the car to pass emissions. You'll notice most other HFC xpipes place the cats where the OEM xpipe has its secondary cats, thereby removing lots of the heat they see.

If you're going to weld HFCs in I suggest you do it in the secondary position. That said, most people are just fine with HFCs in a tracked M3. This car sees a very specific use which is not conducive to cat survival
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #71
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Sorry to hear about this.

If the pistons/rods are shot, I need a paperweight for my desk. Crank might be a bit large for a paperweight, but I could use it to motivate some coworkers!
If SYT_Shadow doesn't, I have a rubbermaid bin full of them.

Quote:
We haven't checked yet. No oil on the floor or during the tow so it's not likely
If you're really set on keeping the block, send it up. If there's no holes, it may be salvageable.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11475.50
admranger2984.50
      08-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #72
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Ugh! Just found this thread today. So sorry man. This is a true bummer but hang in there and keep us updated
      08-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #73
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

As far as the brand of cat, they're whatever was in the ESS HFC Xpipe

Whatever it was, it took the equivalent of 5 years of tracking. So I don't fault them.

The cats did not melt. One of them 'broke/crumbled'. The other is perfect

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 08-02-2018 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #74
dfwashere
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan 6Spd

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Sorry to hear man. Sucks booboo. interested in your further investigations though! youll be back.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11475.50
      08-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #75
MSY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

I do wonder if ESS position of cats significantly heat them more than other pipes with hfc in the secondary position. But thank you and I removed all cats today so we all really really appreciate this info and if there is anything the forum or myself can do just let us know.

I also concur that it is really really hard to find good shops. Even supposed dedicated BMW shops. Its forces me to learn a lot and I've finally found a good one but it's sad isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #76
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSY View Post
I do wonder if ESS position of cats significantly heat them more than other pipes with hfc in the secondary position. But thank you and I removed all cats today so we all really really appreciate this info and if there is anything the forum or myself can do just let us know.

I also concur that it is really really hard to find good shops. Even supposed dedicated BMW shops. Its forces me to learn a lot and I've finally found a good one but it's sad isn't it?
You'll find there are some HFC xpipes that place the cats in the primary position so they get a lot of heat but also act like cats better than if they were further downstream.

Other xpipes place them much further downstream, protecting them but also acting less like cats as they see less heat so they're less efficient.

It's a tradeoff. I assume if the cats were in the secondary position they would have probably lasted forever, but bear in mind this car is tracked heavily and they lasted a pretty decent amount of time.

As soon as your issue isn't replacing one part for another one you find shops run out of answers. Fortunately the third time was the charm and these guys have in depth knowledge of S65s
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #77
MSY
Private First Class
Rep

Maintaining readiness with primary location makes a lot of sense if one wants to pass emissions but from your account it seems maintaining a hfc in primary for track duty may not be the best. Sounds like track duty needs secondary hfc or just fully catkess? Makes sense now that you have posted your story but who the heck knows until shit happens.

I'm so sorry this happened again.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #78
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 ,2021 M340i

Sorry about your engine. I was told by my trusted mechanic a while ago not to track s65 with cats.
We installed Gintani catless exhaust long before we installed the blower.
      08-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #79
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Maintaining readiness with primary location makes a lot of sense if one wants to pass emissions but from your account it seems maintaining a hfc in primary for track duty may not be the best. Sounds like track duty needs secondary hfc or just fully catkess? Makes sense now that you have posted your story but who the heck knows until shit happens.

I'm so sorry this happened again.
Absolutely, that is the biggest learning from this. Or at least that it doesn't work at this level of abuse.

Track pipes would have likely fared much better than what I did, but at the time I bought the xpipe I was very interested in readiness and did not intend to track that intensively.

Well, lesson learned and hopefully others will learn from it
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #80
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

About the cat brand in this x-pipe, all the sizing seems to be identical to the magnaflow cats, the cpsi as well. Given they charge only $100 more for hfc over resonators, I assume you are not getting any premium brand cats.
My guess is that they use magnaflow, however when I asked ESS they denied it.

SYT_Shadow are you planning on reusing the front pipes from your ess xpipe?
      08-02-2018, 06:38 PM   #81
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokemycocktus View Post
About the cat brand in this x-pipe, all the sizing seems to be identical to the magnaflow cats, the cpsi as well. Given they charge only $100 more for hfc over resonators, I assume you are not getting any premium brand cats.
My guess is that they use magnaflow, however when I asked ESS they denied it.

SYT_Shadow are you planning on reusing the front pipes from your ess xpipe?
My HFC Xpipe has already had its cats gutted and is now a catless xpipe.

It would already be on the E92 but last weekend the steering rack suddenly died... so it's also getting replaced.

Sometimes when it rains it pours
Appreciate 1
Shredicus529.00
      08-02-2018, 09:56 PM   #82
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Yikes! Hope there's some silver linings in your future. I'll be interested to keep updated
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 10:01 PM   #83
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Won't block cats just cause a loss of power? Wouldn't it also cause a check engine light to come?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #84
MSY
Private First Class
Rep

Were you running a tune to disable CEL? If not I'm surprised no codes came up?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 06:46 AM   #85
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Were you running a tune to disable CEL? If not I'm surprised no codes came up?
Yes, I was running a tune. When it would run really rough sometimes I would get CELs. Then I replaced all the spark plugs and an injector.

You get all codes of codes when interesting things are happening. Motor Emergency program, idle control valve, misfires, etc.

When I was actually using the car I didn't have CELs. Whenever I had one we'd stop and try to diagnose and throw parts at it
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #86
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
Why would you say "The current hypothesis is main bearings" ? and how is that related to Cat issue you had. Just trying to understand your theory.
Just speculating here, but the pumping losses would increase significantly if the cat was clogged enough to blow out the valve stems, then that would translate into increased force at an awkward timing on the crank, and it would only be on some cylinders, thereby causing an imbalance that could eventually ruin a bearing(s).
Appreciate 1
Honda288.50
      08-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #87
MSY
Private First Class
Rep

I would think you noticed her down on power no? Not in anyway that would help with diagnosis but out of pure curiosity looking back was just wondering?

Must have been lighting up a million codes! Guessing the thing would alternate from super lean to super rich in response to lean if things would sometimes flow and other times not get past the cats. Would be chasing dam tail around.

Were they ceramic cats? Imagine so if they crumbled. In my view I can almost assure ess ouy a cheap cat in knowing some background on ess. Not that it wasnt driven really hard but still its bothersome
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #88
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstyle View Post
Just speculating here, but the pumping losses would increase significantly if the cat was clogged enough to blow out the valve stems, then that would translate into increased force at an awkward timing on the crank, and it would only be on some cylinders, thereby causing an imbalance that could eventually ruin a bearing(s).
Correct

Additionally, at times the entire bank 1 was misfiring... the crank probably had a party
Appreciate 0