BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
byroncheung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
38
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 m3 zcp space grey
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

rear bumper got bumped at limerock park

i was at limerock park past weekend for car control clinic. while waiting in line to get onto the autocross track, the guy behind me rear-ended me.

he was in a c43 amg, said the car was new to him and he was confused by the shift stalk and thought he was in park...

nothing structural but some dents on the bumper and some paint cracks... i have got his contact info. do you guys know if his insurance would cover this, given that we weren't actually on the track when this happened?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
R3dliner's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
1,556
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NYC

iTrader: (5)

did you get a police report or just contact info?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
byroncheung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
38
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 m3 zcp space grey
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
did you get a police report or just contact info?
no i didn't. i know it's not the safest course of action but at the same time i have quite a few other minor fender benders in which i didn't get police report and the other party have acted honest when i try to make a claim against their insurance...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #4
decaturdad
Private First Class
14
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: 2012 M3, 07 e90, 2012 135i RIP
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Why not say it happened in the Lime rock parking lot? Safer for both of you.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #5
byroncheung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
38
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 m3 zcp space grey
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturdad View Post
Why not say it happened in the Lime rock parking lot? Safer for both of you.
good suggestion. i'm going to get an estimate on how much is it to respray / fix the dents and let the guy to decide if he wants to pay out of pocket or use insurance. definitely a good idea if we decide to use his insurance. thx!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 01:27 AM   #6
White 13
Second Lieutenant
28
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: A 2013 Alpine White E92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N Cal

iTrader: (0)

Cost probably will be around $300. If you use insurance company it will show in a car fax report I believe. Cash should not show up on any report.

Might see if you can get $300 to $400 cash and leave insurance companys out of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
DSilk
Major
United_States
515
Rep
1,146
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Even if his insurance doesn't cover it he is liable. It will be to his advantage to make an insurance claim, or risk getting a judgement against him in (presumably) small claims court.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
BOOF-M3's Avatar
United_States
2805
Rep
3,167
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Pasadena Florida

iTrader: (1)

Do not go through insurance. It will haunt you on CArFax when you go to sell it. Many threads discussing this on here.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
lawrence1
BMW Veteran
United_States
67
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White 13 View Post
Cost probably will be around $300. If you use insurance company it will show in a car fax report I believe. Cash should not show up on any report.

Might see if you can get $300 to $400 cash and leave insurance companys out of it.
At a reputable body shop, it'll be closer to $1,500 or more. Dents in the bumper would require either body filler or replacement of the bumper cover. Body filler is likely not what the OP is looking for which means a new cover is in order.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #10
byroncheung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
38
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 m3 zcp space grey
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White 13 View Post
Cost probably will be around $300. If you use insurance company it will show in a car fax report I believe. Cash should not show up on any report.

Might see if you can get $300 to $400 cash and leave insurance companys out of it.
actually i'm not sure about car fax.

i have a few times using other ppl insurance for fender benders and those weren't on carfax last i check...

i think if there is a police report it will most likely end up on car fax. but if it's just insurance then it might not.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #11
byroncheung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
38
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 m3 zcp space grey
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
At a reputable body shop, it'll be closer to $1,500 or more. Dents in the bumper would require either body filler or replacement of the bumper cover. Body filler is likely not what the OP is looking for which means a new cover is in order.
yea the other time i got a quote for respraying the bumper it was more like $1200 at a reputable shop around where i live.

replacement of bumper cover means replacing the bumper? last time the $1200 quote i doesn't even involve getting a new bumper, which i imagine will be just using body filler?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #12
kscarrol
Colonel
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
1182
Rep
2,937
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

With such a low speed impact, likely just the bumper cover. Bumper cover is roughly $600 unpainted. Another $600 for paint... Had this happen as well and it was around $1,200 from the BMW certified body shop used by the local dealer.
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #13
carenthuziast
Captain
259
Rep
716
Posts

Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Pictures would be helpful.

Also, if you continue to track your car, do you think respraying is a good idea?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #14
byroncheung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
38
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 m3 zcp space grey
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthuziast View Post
Pictures would be helpful.

Also, if you continue to track your car, do you think respraying is a good idea?
well i mostly only get to go to the track 2 or 3 times a year. my car had seen more accidents on daily driving than on track for sure...

attached a picture. a few dents at the upper edge of the bumper and you can also see cracks on the paint, especially in the reflection off the trunk...
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #15
DSilk
Major
United_States
515
Rep
1,146
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Looks like minor damage to the bumper cap only. Either replace and paint or repair and paint. My choice would be the former.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #16
byroncheung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
38
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 m3 zcp space grey
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
Looks like minor damage to the bumper cap only. Either replace and paint or repair and paint. My choice would be the former.
will the cost be about the same?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #17
kscarrol
Colonel
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
1182
Rep
2,937
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

I doubt it. Cost to fill and paint should be less than buying a new bumper cover and paint. But if you think you might ever sell the car, you'd rather have the new painted cover documented rather than a fill and paint job.
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #18
carenthuziast
Captain
259
Rep
716
Posts

Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

C'mon...you're in NY. You should have one of those floppy bumper guards like everyone and their mother.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #19
kimiraikkonen
Second Lieutenant
Finland
80
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
yea the other time i got a quote for respraying the bumper it was more like $1200 at a reputable shop around where i live.

replacement of bumper cover means replacing the bumper? last time the $1200 quote i doesn't even involve getting a new bumper, which i imagine will be just using body filler?
Reputable shop will want to take the bumper off for sanding and any refiller correction on the plastic bumper. So depending on what zip code you live in, this is probably more in the $900-$1200 range as others have stated.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #20
byroncheung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
38
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 m3 zcp space grey
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthuziast View Post
C'mon...you're in NY. You should have one of those floppy bumper guards like everyone and their mother.
haha would be funny to see a car drive around track with bumper guard flapping around! dynamic aero!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #21
carenthuziast
Captain
259
Rep
716
Posts

Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
haha would be funny to see a car drive around track with bumper guard flapping around! dynamic aero!!!
Call it a car cape.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #22
BMWNTHZST
Enthusiast
BMWNTHZST's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
1,217
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (27)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
i was at limerock park past weekend for car control clinic. while waiting in line to get onto the autocross track, the guy behind me rear-ended me.

he was in a c43 amg, said the car was new to him and he was confused by the shift stalk and thought he was in park...

nothing structural but some dents on the bumper and some paint cracks... i have got his contact info. do you guys know if his insurance would cover this, given that we weren't actually on the track when this happened?
Sorry to hear about this, it sucks I know. I came out from shopping to see my rear bumper was hit hard enough to crack the paint on it

I decided to pay this myself instead of going through the insurance (in Ontario if I don't go report this to the police the incident will be deemed my fault therefore effecting my insurance rate), I also didn't want a claim showing on the carproof for something so minor.
In Canada where everthing cost so much more I'm paying $3K for a new bumper, paint and repair. The repair will be done at a very reputable shop here in Toronto.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2015 F80 /// M3 Alpine White / Black
2011 E93 /// M3 Space Grey Metallic / Fuchsrot
1997 E31 840Ci Jet Black / Black
2004 E46 /// M3 Laguna Seca Blue / Black
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST