BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

05-19-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
sixspeedm3
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Brake/rotor issue?? Plz help.

Hey everyone! I'm having this really minor inconvenience wondering if any of you gems can help me out.

Recently got my tires balanced and got an alignment done. I was having an issue where at high speeds my steering wheel would shake. Turned out the right front inside of my rim was bent in slightly in the outter side. I fixed it and resolved my issue but another issue began. At high speeds when braking, my steering wheel will shake... and then like a scratching noise once I slowed down and drove at a 15-25 mph speed (no steering wheel shake) and then eventually went away. I'm not sure if it's my rotors/brakes which seem fine.

I'd appreciate any advice u veteran guys might have. Much love and thank you.
Attached Images

05-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

normally steering wheel shake when braking at higher speeds is due to brake rotor warpage, run'-out. however, i see in your picture that u have wheel spacers installed. considering you just had a wheel off for repair i would double check that the wheel spacer is installed correctly, and the wheel is properly torqued down. maybe even remove the spacers and see if the shaking is still there.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

you probably just need to bed-in the pads. you put new pads on older rotors. do five to six 80-30 mph hard slowdowns without engaging the abs. try not to come to a complete stop afterwards, drive normally to let the brakes return to normal temps. i'm thinking your pads just need to build up a small layer on the rotors.
if you're still having vibrations after that, try removing the wheel spacers.
Scharbag2620.50
      05-20-2019, 05:56 AM   #4
sixspeedm3
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
you probably just need to bed-in the pads. you put new pads on older rotors. do five to six 80-30 mph hard slowdowns without engaging the abs. try not to come to a complete stop afterwards, drive normally to let the brakes return to normal temps. i'm thinking your pads just need to build up a small layer on the rotors.
if you're still having vibrations after that, try removing the wheel spacers.
Thanks, so do you think my rotors look good? Don't need replacing? Maybe it's the spacers ?
      05-20-2019, 06:51 AM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesS65 View Post
Thanks, so do you think my rotors look good? Don't need replacing? Maybe it's the spacers ?
i think its pad deposits, but spacers can add vibration for a variety of reasons sometimes.

your rotors look decently worn, i can tell in the first pic by the lip inside the inner circumference where the new brake pad broke off when it got seated. the rings around your rotors are uneven deposits. bed them in properly (and safely) and report back.

05-29-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Your rotors look brand new compared to mine before I changed them, but they definitely look worn. If you do need rotors, Rock Auto has them dirt cheap and they are cross-drilled. They look identical to stock and perform very well. If you aren't changing rotors, try the bed-in procedure that was mentioned above. I had the opposite issue. I had pads that were worn into my old rotors so I had to bed them in to become flush with the new flat rotors. Either way, bedding in is an absolute must on new pads.
      07-08-2019, 02:25 AM   #7
sixspeedm3
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwlover0725 View Post
Your rotors look brand new compared to mine before I changed them, but they definitely look worn. If you do need rotors, Rock Auto has them dirt cheap and they are cross-drilled. They look identical to stock and perform very well. If you aren't changing rotors, try the bed-in procedure that was mentioned above. I had the opposite issue. I had pads that were worn into my old rotors so I had to bed them in to become flush with the new flat rotors. Either way, bedding in is an absolute must on new pads.
I'm late on reading this since I was in L.A during this time (too much fun lol) but thanks!! I really appreciate it. I decided to just get new rotors and break pads that have been sitting in the box since the date u posted this Haha