BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #23
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
At Thunderhill this entire weekend with a full set of brand new RE-71Rs and my 2 old front RE-71Rs. I am not looking to repeat last Sunday

I did have an interesting bugbear on the way up from San Francisco. I had the add one quart of oil light go off, so I dutifully added half a quart (I add half because sometimes when I've added a full quart I get the overfilled indicator).

Reset and kept getting the add quart light. Was really getting irritated after pulling over and checking to see I wasn't leaking anywhere and resetting it a few times. After resetting twice and not getting anything other than the add 1 quart, I took out the automatic OBD, reset, turned the car off then started up again. I just pulled into the hotel when it finished up and said it was full. Seriously hate that thing - wish I had a real dipstick too.
What automatic OBD?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #24
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
www.automatic.com - it's one of the plug in OBDII readers that play nicely with Harry's lap timer. Well, most of the time.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #25
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
www.automatic.com - it's one of the plug in OBDII readers that play nicely with Harry's lap timer. Well, most of the time.
does it connect to the phone via bluetooth or wifi? also do you have iphone or android? curious cause a friend of mine JUST got one and I asked him to borrow it to try it out. But honestly I only care to try it out if it's via Bluetooth so I could use wifi for the gopro control and bluetooth for the data acquisition of the engine parameters.
      09-27-2015, 12:22 AM   #26
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post
does it connect to the phone via bluetooth or wifi? also do you have iphone or android? curious cause a friend of mine JUST got one and I asked him to borrow it to try it out. But honestly I only care to try it out if it's via Bluetooth so I could use wifi for the gopro control and bluetooth for the data acquisition of the engine parameters.
Bluetooth. I use an iPhone 6+. I set up my go pro to wirelessly connect to my phone, and automatic connects via bluetooth. It doesn't always work smoothly, especially after iOS 9, but once you get the hang of the correct order to set it up, 9/10 it will work out of the box.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2015, 12:44 AM   #27
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Cool thanks for the heads up.
      09-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #28
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Updated thread with results of the first day of Thunderhill. Had a very productive day - set my fastest lap in the morning. It got progressively hotter as the day went on, and while I managed to stay relatively consistent when I did not get stuck in traffic, was not able to beat this time. Lots of people in B group - 38 on the track, so I ended up running into people in the back with slower cars. Still a lot of fun, and my confidence is back now that I have matched traction.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #29
wheatpaste
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Updated thread with results of the first day of Thunderhill. Had a very productive day - set my fastest lap in the morning. It got progressively hotter as the day went on, and while I managed to stay relatively consistent when I did not get stuck in traffic, was not able to beat this time. Lots of people in B group - 38 on the track, so I ended up running into people in the back with slower cars. Still a lot of fun, and my confidence is back now that I have matched traction.

Nice! Were you back out there today too? Thought I saw a white E92 today. I was in A group and had a blast.

Warm day but not as hot as it can get up there. Surprising how 95 feels a lot nicer than 105.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 01:49 AM   #30
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatpaste View Post
Nice! Were you back out there today too? Thought I saw a white E92 today. I was in A group and had a blast.

Warm day but not as hot as it can get up there. Surprising how 95 feels a lot nicer than 105.
Yep, was here today too, and you probably saw me Got a better lap time of 3:30.26 in the morning when it was nice and cool and it got much hotter as the day went on. Which car did you drive? There were a number of very clean m3s - almost as many GT3s! I am completely hooked on this hobby now!

Got moved up into the advanced group (C) and then promptly managed to spin my car out on the cyclone at turn 5E on my first session - on the 3rd lap or so. I will post a video of it later - was a scary event because I slid down the hill sideways and then back on to the track in the opposite direction. Could have rolled the car if I had more momentum. Humble pie was eaten - and I had a nice "discussion" with the group leader when I got back into the pits. Obviously my tires must have been under inflated. /s in this case, it was too much speed coming up the cyclone and either not braking soon enough or not turning in enough, missed the berm by two feet and it took the rest of the car with it.

I had been pushing the car hard through turns and letting the Potenza tires hero me through some turns that a lesser tire would not have allowed me to do. Since I run with Euro MDM it lets you slide quite a bit so that was frowned upon. Honestly wasn't trying to drift, if I hit a limit I would back off from it the next time around. Combination of that plus the spin out must have labeled me as a troublemaker. FWIW HOD is quite conservative and won't hesitate to throw you out if they think you are being unsafe.

Not wanting to push the limits again, I took it easy the rest of the day. Was lucky and I don't appear to have suffered any damage in the incident.

My brakes though appear to be just about done due to wear - about 3 mm of pad left. Squealing a lot louder than it used to, and I see a bunch of hairline cracks on the rotors now. No issues on the track, except possibly fade? Felt like I had to get on the brakes sooner in some spots towards the end of the day.

On the way home, couple of times when I would brake at say medium pedal at low speeds, I'd hear a horrible sound that honestly sounded like I was driving on a rumble strip - except coming from my front tires. I got out and inspected the car, but didn't see anything wrong. After letting the car sit for a couple hours, I didn't experience it again.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 01:54 AM   #31
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Spin out video:
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #32
wheatpaste
Private First Class
Rep

I was in an interlagos blue E92. There were a couple there, but mine was the one with Apex Arc 8s.

Cool that you got bumped up to C group. I have a couple of friends that ran in C that you might have run across. One in a blue S2000 and one in a sahkir orange M4.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #33
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Your friend in the S2000 was very fast - not a stock car? I think we passed each other a couple times. Love the orange M4 - but didn't see him on the track.

Last edited by redpriest; 09-28-2015 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #34
wheatpaste
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Your friend in the S2000 was very fast - not a stock car? I think we passed each other a couple times. Love the orange M4 - but didn't see him on the track.
Yeah, the S2000 has some mods (coilovers, BBK, a little weight reduction) and he tracks a lot. He's definitely quick.

I'll look for you the next time I'm out.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #35
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Spin out video:
Scary spin on the Cyclone. Glad you and car are in one piece.

How did the flagger indicate to you that it was safe to go? Just wondering since another car could have come barreling over the top at any moment.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #36
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Scary spin on the Cyclone. Glad you and car are in one piece.

How did the flagger indicate to you that it was safe to go? Just wondering since another car could have come barreling over the top at any moment.
They didn't - they were frantically waving a yellow flag and I paused for a second to see if I should wait for a signal, and I didn't see one, and I also knew I didn't want to get t-boned so I got my car going as fast as I could.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #37
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
They didn't - they were frantically waving a yellow flag and I paused for a second to see if I should wait for a signal, and I didn't see one, and I also knew I didn't want to get t-boned so I got my car going as fast as I could.
I wonder if it would have been safer to backup off the track from where your car ended up rather than driving up the back of T5 into the path of traffic? Just trying to figure out what I would have done in the same situation. I was also out there on Saturday. There seemed to be a ton of M3s and GT3s ...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #38
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I wonder if it would have been safer to backup off the track from where your car ended up rather than driving up the back of T5 into the path of traffic? Just trying to figure out what I would have done in the same situation. I was also out there on Saturday. There seemed to be a ton of M3s and GT3s ...
I remember seeing a 1M there - that one yours? Yeah, it was M3/GT3 central out there for sure. Every GT3 ever manufactured seemed to be at the track on both days.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 08:17 PM   #39
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
A picture from the second day:

Video of my fastest lap on the 2nd day (and the weekend) - 3:30.26
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #40
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Getting ready for this track weekend - first day at Buttonwillow CW13 with Speed Ventures, and Sunday at WSIR with Speed District.

Have a good set of new mods assembled for this trip:
Macht Schnell Stage 2 intake
Macht Schnell underdrive pulley

And the pièce de résistance:

AP Racing BBK by Essex - Pro5000R Radi-CAL CP9660 calipers in the front, and CP5040 calipers on the rear, just because (my rear rotors were toast too so why not?) Trying out Ferodo DS1.11 pads for the track.

Posted my experience about Essex here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...7#post18757557

If you need a BBK I have had a phenomenal experience with this vendor so don't hesitate to pull the trigger. They will take care of you.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #41
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Getting ready for this track weekend - first day at Buttonwillow CW13 with Speed Ventures, and Sunday at WSIR with Speed District.
Sounds like a perfect weekend!!!!
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 12:50 AM   #42
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Those rad-cals... Bananas!
      10-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #43
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Finished up first session here today at Buttonwillow. Traffic in Black intermediate is pretty heavy with lots of people getting overly excited and running off the track. Haven't had a real chance to open up with the brakes yet but it feels really good so far.

Had an issue with my tire balance last night, it was vibrating the crap out of my steering wheel so I switched the front driver side wheel to the passenger side rear so I didn't have to feel it through the steering the entire way down.

Rebalanced my tires this morning at the tire shop. The wobbly one I moved was WAY off balance. I'll remember to get the tires rebalanced every time I have an off track incident.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #44
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Also the clamps on my Macht Schnell intake didn't hold the elbow in all the way so I had to fix that this morning.

I also had the dumb add more oil issue on the way down even though I just got the damn thing changed. Added a half quart and still got the warning message the entire way down no matter how many times I reset it. I hate this thing. Told me I had more than half a quart this morning though when I started it up cold. Ahhhh!

It's a wonder with all the issues I've had I didn't miss the first session.
Appreciate 0