BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

03-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
MrAtomic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Subaru Outback

Bay Area/San Ramon Members -- A PPI Question

Hello all,

I'd be very grateful for thoughts and advice from board members in the Bay Area, and in/near San Ramon, more specifically. I'm looking to buy a 2011 E90 at an independent, non-franchise dealer in San Ramon. My interactions so far have been a little sketchy: getting the dealer to return calls/emails is almost impossible, and they've been dragging their feet sending me photos of the odometer, wheels, and driver's seat bolsters.

There are three other factors complicating this purchase: The first is that my family and I recently moved from CA's central coast to Austin, TX. The second is that I am physically disabled following a hit-and-run accident, and traveling by myself a little challenging. Finally, the hit-and-run amputated my left leg and knee, and did a real number on my right leg, too. So I have to drive with hand controls, which makes test drives a no-no.

Can anyone recommend a shop in San Ramon that'd be able to perform a test drive and PPI for me? I'm quite jittery about buying a car from an indie that was up at auction.

Alternatively, if anyone in San Ramon is up for taking a look at, and driving the car, I'd be very happy to thank you with a lovely bottle of bourbon or scotch. I used to source rare whiskies for collectors in the LA area, and I can promise your thank-you bottle will be something special.

Whatever the result of this post, I'm happy to be aboard and hope to be driving my own E90 very soon.

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited by MrAtomic; 03-04-2017 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Paul, not sure of any shops around San Ramon. P-Tech was close by but they just moved to Fremont next to Alekshop. Both are great BMW shops and would do PPI. I think Edge Motorworks is located in Dublin which also has a good reputation as well and closer to San Ramon. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
MrAtomic
United_States
Rep

Dagolfpro -- Thank you very much for the recommendations. I'll reach out to P-Tech and Edge to try and set up an inspection. Now, to convince the dealer to actually play ball and show up with the car for the PPI...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

I'm 15 min north of San Ramon and might be able to look at the car this weekend. PM me a link to a car and I will let you know if I can make it out there (assuming it is still there).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
MrAtomic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive View Post
I'm 15 min north of San Ramon and might be able to look at the car this weekend. PM me a link to a car and I will let you know if I can make it out there (assuming it is still there).
Hi Jive,

Thank you very much! I'm sending you a PM right now with info on the car. Regardless of whether or not you're able to take a look, I appreciate you reaching out.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
osukf09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3 ZCP

I also could help out. I did a PPI at Performance Technic a few months back. Very comprehensive and they're a well known bmw shop with an excellent reputation.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
MrAtomic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apjr09 View Post
I also could help out. I did a PPI at Performance Technic a few months back. Very comprehensive and they're a well known bmw shop with an excellent reputation.
apjr09,

Thanks very much for the Performance Technic recommendation, which was echoed by another forum member. It's great that there's such a well-regarded shop in the vicinity.

Today I spoke with Brendan at Performance Technic and they are in the process of moving from one shop to another. So he won't be able to do a PPI for a week or so. If someone's able to take a look at the car between now and then, and gives it a thumbs-up, I'll probably put down a deposit pending the outcome of the PPI.

The bigger issue is that I flat-out don't like the dealer. They don't return calls or emails and are balking at sending me the Carfax and some additional photos of the car. If the car weren't exactly what I'm looking for, I'd probably pass, but I've been hunting the right E90 for months now and want to see where this goes.

Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #8
osukf09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3 ZCP

Of course, glad you were able to connect with them. I'd also give edge motorworks a call like someone else mentioned.

My initial feeling based on how the dealer is acting is that something seems off/fishy and is throwing red flags for me.

Do you have a link to the car/dealer?
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
MrAtomic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apjr09 View Post
I'd also give edge motorworks a call like someone else mentioned.

My initial feeling based on how the dealer is acting is that something seems off/fishy and is throwing red flags for me.
apjr09,

I just sent you a PM with information about the car.

Like yourself, I'm getting a fishy feeling from the dealer. If a local member is able to check out the dealer/car and gets a similar vibe, I'll walk away.

Since the dealer is balking at sending me the Carfax, I went ahead and bought it, myself. The Carfax is clean, but not very informative. The E90 had its initial oil change at 1.8K miles, and subsequent changes at 16K and 30K miles. It's currently at 49K miles, and likely in dire need of another oil change. Otherwise, there's only a record of the 30K mile inspection and a brake fluid flush.

On your suggestion, I'll give Edge Motorworks a call tomorrow and see if they're able to PPI the car this week. Assuming, of course, that I can get the dealer on the phone and convince him to drive the car over to Edge for the inspection.

I can't thank you and the other Bay Area members enough for all the advice and help you've offered me. As a new member on the hunt for his dream car, it means a lot. I hope I get the opportunity to return the favor if/when any of you find yourselves in Austin.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #10
MrAtomic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiracer1 View Post
where is this car located and its an E90 M3 .
Hi hawaiiracer1,

I'm very much hoping to buy this car, so I don't want to publicly discuss its whereabouts until after I decide whether or not to put a deposit down on it. I've been looking for the right M3 for many months, and hope you understand my reticence.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

You can also contact Alekshop if Edge doesn't work out. Hope you've heard something from the dealership.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #12
MrAtomic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
You can also contact Alekshop if Edge doesn't work out. Hope you've heard something from the dealership.
Thank you! Edge will not take a CC payment over the phone, so I scheduled an appointment for next week at Performance Technic. Of course, I still can't get a hold of anyone at the dealership, so the PPI appointment may not matter...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #13
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #14
islandguy19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Just found this post. Any update on that e90 M3?
      04-14-2017, 10:49 PM   #15
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Is there something specific you like about that E90 you saw? I bought my E92 M3 from Shift and was pleasantly surprised by how good of an experience it's been.

They have a nice E90 M3 in stock:
https://shift.com/car/c15336
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #16
STC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Is there something specific you like about that E90 you saw? I bought my E92 M3 from Shift and was pleasantly surprised by how good of an experience it's been.

They have a nice E90 M3 in stock:
https://shift.com/car/c15336
Wow nice. If I didn't buy mine in Jan, I would pick this one up.
Appreciate 0