BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

08-07-2021, 05:26 AM   #1
Daniel_92m3
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 m3 pre lci - manual

Oil again! Oil level dropps on highway and stays there

Hi,

2008. 134k km, manual, coupe

When i bought the car i did a big service on it, bearings etc. I drove the car for 5-6k kms before started to act out like this, changed oil at 5k after bearings done.

i am facing a problem: my oil after warm up sits on the top of the OK sign, i drive it on the highway for around 30-45 mins and it says +1L. Nowdays after a day rest, i start again, warm up, still says +1L. I added 200ml yesterday and now it is OK again. I has been happening since 1-2 months now.

After a day rest it bounces back to OK or stays on add +1L. 50-50%

Last week, i asked my mechanic to change the oil sensor, redone the oil gasket (took it out, cleaned it, removed the paint, got a new paint) new valve cover gasket. New e46 m3 oil cap.

Oil which came out were clean (3k km), measured.

He used the car a couple of times (i agreed) Oil level was ok during that time (no highway) they checked afterwards. No oil flow whatsoever anywhere.

I took it over, highway again and +1L sign again.

I see that many other ppl faced problem like this but i just cant find the solution for it.

Appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
Andryuha
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4M '00 Z3M '11 S212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_92m3 View Post
Hi,

2008. 134k km, manual, coupe

When i bought the car i did a big service on it, bearings etc. I drove the car for 5-6k kms before started to act out like this, changed oil at 5k after bearings done.

i am facing a problem: my oil after warm up sits on the top of the OK sign, i drive it on the highway for around 30-45 mins and it says +1L. Nowdays after a day rest, i start again, warm up, still says +1L. I added 200ml yesterday and now it is OK again. I has been happening since 1-2 months now.

After a day rest it bounces back to OK or stays on add +1L. 50-50%

Last week, i asked my mechanic to change the oil sensor, redone the oil gasket (took it out, cleaned it, removed the paint, got a new paint) new valve cover gasket. New e46 m3 oil cap.

Oil which came out were clean (3k km), measured.

He used the car a couple of times (i agreed) Oil level was ok during that time (no highway) they checked afterwards. No oil flow whatsoever anywhere.

I took it over, highway again and +1L sign again.

I see that many other ppl faced problem like this but i just cant find the solution for it.

Appreciate your help!
I have the same thing going on and I always thought that it was my oil sensor. Although it doesn't fluctuate so quickly. There are days where it will be at 3/4 mark and other days, it drops to 1/4. Aggressive driving has no bearing on it. The lack of dipstick on this car, drives me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 02:25 AM   #3
Daniel_92m3
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 m3 pre lci - manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andryuha View Post
I have the same thing going on and I always thought that it was my oil sensor. Although it doesn't fluctuate so quickly. There are days where it will be at 3/4 mark and other days, it drops to 1/4. Aggressive driving has no bearing on it. The lack of dipstick on this car, drives me crazy.

Yes, kind of annoying. If we could choose one thing that should be always 100% condition with our car it would be the OIL and nothing else. Alfa and omega of the s65.

Do you add some oil with when it drops to 1/4 ?
Appreciate 0