BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

08-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

3D-printed guns

Are you guys following this story. Any opinions? I think we are embarking on a very dangerous time.

The quote from the creator shows how unbalanced he is "I think access to the firearm is a fundamental human dignity. It's a fundamental human right,"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/3d-prin...l-human-right/
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Are you guys following this story. Any opinions? I think we are embarking on a very dangerous time.

The quote from the creator shows how unbalanced he is "I think access to the firearm is a fundamental human dignity. It's a fundamental human right,"

He's selling the printers to make them .
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I think we are embarking on a very dangerous time.
Nah. Maybe dangerous for the nimrods who try to do this without a full understanding of the physics of firearms. Anyone brave enough to fire a full-charge round of ammo through any homemade gun (especially a rifle) is already probably a few cans short of a 6-pack.

Also, the milling machines are $2000? One can buy an unregistered, untraceable gun on the black market for far less than that, if one had such a desire. If it's an AR that one is interested in, 80% receivers have been selling legally for years.

https://www.80-lower.com/blogs/80-lo...d-unregistered
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1451.50
      08-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

wasn't there a movie where a dude had a plastic gun and took it on the plane or something???

I think people lack reason sometimes. Criminals are criminals for a reason. They stopped caring about breaking the law a long time ago. That's my feeling on this.

Ghost guns? Yea of course they can get them. Do I think they are that much of a cause for worry? Nah. If someone is going through the effort to get a gun that can't be traced back to them, well I don't think they care either.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
wasn't there a movie where a dude had a plastic gun and took it on the plane or something???

I think people lack reason sometimes. Criminals are criminals for a reason. They stopped caring about breaking the law a long time ago. That's my feeling on this.

Ghost guns? Yea of course they can get them. Do I think they are that much of a cause for worry? Nah. If someone is going through the effort to get a gun that can't be traced back to them, well I don't think they care either.
If I remember correctly, it was a Jackie Chan movie where they had a gun made of jade or something that they got through a metal detector at an event to assassinate someone.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
Clint Eastwood played a Secret Service agent in a movie called In The Line of Fire, in which assassin John Malkovich made a 2-shot handgun out of resin that he planned to use to kill the President.

Appreciate 7
lakefront560.50
MrRoboto1837.50
Sassicaia4452.00
upstatedoc7555.50
King Rudi13152.00
MKSixer34171.50
      08-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
Nah. Maybe dangerous for the nimrods who try to do this without a full understanding of the physics of firearms. Anyone brave enough to fire a full-charge round of ammo through any homemade gun (especially a rifle) is already probably a few cans short of a 6-pack.

Also, the milling machines are $2000? One can buy an unregistered, untraceable gun on the black market for far less than that, if one had such a desire. If it's an AR that one is interested in, 80% receivers have been selling legally for years.

https://www.80-lower.com/blogs/80-lo...d-unregistered
Exactly, this is driving people crazy because they all failed to understand it not as simple as printing a picture on your inkjet print at home.

The guy who made the 3D printed gun only fired a couple of round out of it, why , it will melt or blow up otherwise. The idiots in the world who think some mass shooter is going to make one of these and pull off a Vegas event. There was reason he had 10 rifles, they over heat and he had to switch guns or run the risk of round prematurely going off.

Even if people got the plans for free you still have to buy expensive machining equipment and then need to understand metallurgy to properly heat treat the barrel and such. By the way you can find old blue prints of guns and if you know how to read a blue print you can machine a gun.

When I was in high school a friend and I gunsmith our own guns, they were old style mussel loaders with rifling and it took a lot of time to make them and put it all together. We were kind of scared to fire them the first few times. My bother-in-law put a AR 15 together, bought all the parts and had to some of the final machining work and clean up to put it together and it took time and it still did not work well the first time.

Any idiot who think they will down load these files and have working gun tomorrow it fouling themselves, they will find out it would be a lot easier to get one on the black market.

The idiots in the country think it illegal to make your own guns, it is not anyone is allow to make a gun, it just illegal to sell a gun without a serial number on it. So now we have people wanting laws to make it illegal to make a gun if your not a gun manufacturer.

Last edited by Maestro; 08-02-2018 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

This is what I call a nontroversy.

--3D printed guns (depending on how much is 3d printed) SUCK ASS, and are more of a liability to the user than anything
--Anyone can buy a REAL gun on the private market with no background checks or anything. See texasguntrader for an example
--Anyone with basic knowledge in metalworking and welding can produce a functional firearm. No machining is required, just finishing with hand tools
--Most people killed by guns in the USA are either idiots who don't practice good gun safety or criminals involved in dangerous business.
--Mass shootings are extremely sad and painful but statistically they are not even slightly worrisome. We have so many other problems.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I believe the first issue here is most people aren't aware that you're allowed (in most states at least) to build your own firearm. There are plenty of ways to build unserialized firearms that don't include a 3D printer.

This 2nd Amendment issue interestingly veered into a 1st Amendment issue where some want to restrict the free distribution of information. New Jersey's AG states that he was going to restrict access to Defcad.com in NJ. This should be an eye opener... What other sites are being restricted? Who is overseeing this electronic book burning?
      08-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:

Honestly this doesn't worry me at all and is a lot to do about nothing. I'm all for a level of common sense gun control, but the far left is taking this way to far. How many $1,000s of dollars do you need to get a 3D printer and make this? It also works for what 1-2 shots before breaking? Easier to just get a gun.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #11
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Quote:

Honestly this doesn't worry me at all and is a lot to do about nothing. I'm all for a level of common sense gun control, but the far left is taking this way to far. How many $1,000s of dollars do you need to get a 3D printer and make this? It also works for what 1-2 shots before breaking? Easier to just get a gun.
Does the 1st Amendment infringement aspect of this issue concern you?
      08-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #12
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Does the 1st Amendment infringement aspect of this issue concern you?
Well, he's in Canada, so probably not.
Appreciate 1
Sassicaia4452.00
      08-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #13
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe the first issue here is most people aren't aware that you're allowed (in most states at least) to build your own firearm. There are plenty of ways to build unserialized firearms that don't include a 3D printer.

This 2nd Amendment issue interestingly veered into a 1st Amendment issue where some want to restrict the free distribution of information. New Jersey's AG states that he was going to restrict access to Defcad.com in NJ. This should be an eye opener... What other sites are being restricted? Who is overseeing this electronic book burning?
And yet where was all this worry when net neutrality was bieng killed off?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #14
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
If you think 3d printed guns are more dangerous than real guns, you are a fool
      08-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #15
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...-from-fiction/
      08-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #16
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questofthetune View Post
Quote:

How is Net Neutrality relevant here? Enlighten us with your wisdom.
      08-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #17
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Hmm, not sure about one. The one Wilson is shown firing back in 2012(?) could probably be made in about 15-18 hours on my printer plus post processing for assembly. I wonder what the range is on that gun. I feel like I could get that gun made over night/during the day and go shoot a rando late at night without too much worry of being caught. At the same time, I might accidentally shoot myself in the face.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #18
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questofthetune View Post
Aside from the fact that there was a shitstorm several orders of magnitude larger than this around that issue, it also has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand.

Anyway, lobby groups have infinitely more power than an outraged public, especially when there's billions of dollars to be made. That's no secret.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #19
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

In before moved to politics.

Also, all one needs to build a fully-functional and reliable AR-15 from an 80% lower (read: non-serialized "ghost gun") is a drill press and a jig. There are designs online that will show you how to assemble a complete gun with simple building materials from Home Depot...and it will be significantly more functional than any 3D printed gun. These are both 100% legal means of acquiring a firearm (assuming one isn't prohibited from being in possession of a firearm).

People that think there is any sort of credible threat to public safety due to 3D printed guns are silly.
      08-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #20
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

anybody who thinks somebody is going to build a gun instead of buy one illegally is a fool, or at best, uninformed

3d printed guns are, at this point, just something to do because you can, and you enjoy the process. The people who ‘build’ one of these will probably put about 6 rounds through it and then put it away, because they have better guns to shoot.

years ago, i built a couple of 80% firearms, it was perfectly legal, and a good experience, i had many hours and dollars involved in building these guns, far more then buying a new gun or, i suspect, buying a gun illegally(a have never done this btw, and i have never sold a gun)

3d printing is being used to advance gun rights, and make gun laws look foolish. As far as the constitution is concerned, it is just sharing information, 1st amendment issue, a real test of censorship.

i don’t want ‘bad guys’ to have guns, but no law will stop that.
Appreciate 5
JamesWWIII2932.00
PINeely1085.50
MKSixer34171.50
      08-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #21
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

To be honest the idea that guns are a threat to public safety is pretty silly in general. I'm just glad that people knowledgeable enough to harness other available means of much destruction tend not to commit random mass murders in public. Politicians aside, that is!
Appreciate 3
fravel1644.50
      08-02-2018, 06:54 AM   #22
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
To be honest the idea that guns are a threat to public safety is pretty silly in general. I'm just glad that people knowledgeable enough to harness other available means of much destruction tend not to commit random mass murders in public. Politicians aside, that is!
We'll never know to be sure as the CDC has never been allowed to properly study it.
Appreciate 0