BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

02-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #89
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep
Drives: Its a M3

whats the largest size Hoosier a7 can you fit on square? Coming to MSRC Nasa?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:01 PM   #90
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Glad to see you were able to drive a whole race and were putting down some great lap times!

The fun part will be getting the car dialed in and watching the lap times drop as you get more and more comfortable with it.

Good times!
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      02-11-2020, 07:09 AM   #91
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Those are some seriously amazing lap times already, congrats on the race and times in general! I'm sure y'all will get these bugs sorted in the long run btw, looking forward to future reports.
Thanks - we're getting there! Big first step mentally for us this weekend just being able to finally run & be competitive in a race. Think we have a good idea what had been the main issue now - so hopefully we can move past these new build gremlins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Super cool, and congrats on the finish! Really excited to follow how your build manages the 2020 season. Please don't be shy about sharing any mechanical failures so we can all learn.
Thanks! Definitely will not be shy about posting any failures (mechanical or otherwise). I'm very new to this and every experience - positive or negative - are invaluable learning lessons for me. Whether it be a mechanical issue or a driver issue - helps me tremendously to talk it through as well. Once we get through our startup issues planned to post up about them - want to get my head around everything first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Project 220 Build?
Ha nice. Yeah I guess that would be the new COTA goal. Will be fun to see if we can get there. BMW CCA Club there in June will likely be my only event there for the rest of the year so we will see. I think Project No More Morale Victories Moving Forward Cause P2 Actually Sucks is going to be the new name for a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCUSE_M3 View Post
I ran 295/315. Front is right there with the fender on our current setup. Seeing if we can get more is on the post debugging agenda. Not 100% sure yet what we are going to do schedule wise moving forward but likely will be at MSRC. Looks like I would have to bump up to ST2 so that could be very interesting (or very boring from the back of the class). You are running TT3 right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Glad to see you were able to drive a whole race and were putting down some great lap times!

The fun part will be getting the car dialed in and watching the lap times drop as you get more and more comfortable with it.

Good times!
Yeah finally got through a whole freaking race

Still been a lot of fun getting to this point - but definitely very excited to see where we can go from here.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #92
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Those are some seriously amazing lap times already, congrats on the race and times in general! I'm sure y'all will get these bugs sorted in the long run btw, looking forward to future reports.
Thanks - we're getting there! Big first step mentally for us this weekend just being able to finally run & be competitive in a race. Think we have a good idea what had been the main issue now - so hopefully we can move past these new build gremlins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Super cool, and congrats on the finish! Really excited to follow how your build manages the 2020 season. Please don't be shy about sharing any mechanical failures so we can all learn.
Thanks! Definitely will not be shy about posting any failures (mechanical or otherwise). I'm very new to this and every experience - positive or negative - are invaluable learning lessons for me. Whether it be a mechanical issue or a driver issue - helps me tremendously to talk it through as well. Once we get through our startup issues planned to post up about them - want to get my head around everything first.

Quote:
Project 220 Build?
Ha nice. Yeah I guess that would be the new COTA goal. Will be fun to see if we can get there. BMW CCA Club there in June will likely be my only event there for the rest of the year so we will see. I think Project No More Morale Victories Moving Forward Cause P2 Actually Sucks is going to be the new name for a bit

Quote:
I ran 295/315. Front is right there with the fender on our current setup. Seeing if we can get more is on the post debugging agenda. Not 100% sure yet what we are going to do schedule wise moving forward but likely will be at MSRC. Looks like I would have to bump up to ST2 so that could be very interesting (or very boring from the back of the class). You are running TT3 right?

Quote:

Good times!
Yeah finally got through a whole freaking race

Still been a lot of fun getting to this point - but definitely very excited to see where we can go from here.
Yup I'm chasing the record for class that weekend. I'm hoping to have good weather. Not sure if it's doable but gonna give it everything. Guessing the front clears strut? I'm over 4 degrees camber so maybe that will help for the clearance. Might just do that square.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #93
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Yup I'm chasing the record for class that weekend. I'm hoping to have good weather. Not sure if it's doable but gonna give it everything. Guessing the front clears strut? I'm over 4 degrees camber so maybe that will help for the clearance. Might just do that square.
Awesome, good luck chasing down the record! What is the current record & in what car?

We were at 3.6 this weekend - working our way towards 4* in small increments each time out. I will get a measurement on how much clearance we have to the front strut when I get it back into the shop here soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #94
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome, good luck chasing down the record! What is the current record & in what car?

We were at 3.6 this weekend - working our way towards 4* in small increments each time out. I will get a measurement on how much clearance we have to the front strut when I get it back into the shop here soon.
What size wheel are you running with the 295? 18x10.5
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:43 PM   #95
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Current record is a 1:17 something in an E46 M3. I think it will fall in March.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #96
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Current record is a 1:17 something in an E46 M3. I think it will fall in March.[/QUOTE]

You going for it as well? It's a fast time.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #97
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
What size wheel are you running with the 295? 18x10.5
Yes 18x10.5 ET22. It is very close but does clear the strut. Will get a measurement.

Quote:
Quote:
You going for it as well? It's a fast time.[/QUOTE]

That's fast. Hope one of you two breaks it in March.

If some people sign up for ST3 & will likely run there. Also probably run TT3 as well to get some more seat time. I will be no threat to you guys though - y'all are on a different level.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:29 PM   #98
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
You going for it as well? It's a fast time.[/QUOTE]

I am moving the car to VIR for the season in March. I have only been to MSR once and was only able to do a 1:20. Car can go faster but that record would be tough for me to break.

It's up to you!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:32 PM   #99
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep

Quote:
You going for it as well? It's a fast time.
I am moving the car to VIR for the season in March. I have only been to MSR once and was only able to do a 1:20. Car can go faster but that record would be tough for me to break.

It's up to you![/QUOTE]

FKO lol Wish ken was still around. Good luck up there.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2020, 03:32 PM   #100
OG Shark
Rep

Video from the race this weekend...

Qualifying #1: P2 @ 2:24.35 (4:55 in the video). Bit sloppy, needs to be cleaned up

Race #2: Finished P2 behind the yellow corvette. Bit of a spin on exit at 12 on the last lap - tried to push too hard to catch up.

Appreciate 4
///Mobbin1476.50
admranger2984.50
warp10776.00
      02-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #101
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Project 224 has fulfilled it's destiny!
Appreciate 3
Kelse921131.50
OG Shark4685.50
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      02-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #102
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Details on the (I think) Signature wheels?
      02-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #103
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
Details on the (I think) Signature wheels?
Signature Wheel - correct.

Signature Wheel SV502

I run their SV502 in either matte gunmetal or matte bronze. The gunmetal looks really good but is grey overload right now until we have the car wrapped. The bronze looks really good with the space grey. Thinking about taking a set of each and having them redone in satin black though, still my favorite.

18" x 10.5" ET22 front / 18" x 11" ET29 rear.
Appreciate 1
//steve\\1074.00
      02-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #104
OG Shark
Rep

Finally getting to add some front aero to the car. T1 in SCCA does not allow more than 2" past the vertical plane of the bumper or dive planes - unless the car came from the factory with them installed. This means that I pretty much cannot run any front aero during those races - but all the factory race cars can (and do). At least in NASA we get to run both a decent size splitter and the canards.

The material we are using is Tegris with a thickness of 0.250". This thickness does seem like it will be rigid enough but have yet to test it out. If need be we can go to 0.400" in the future. It's light and easy to work with, so hopefully we are happy with the results.

As of right now we are avoiding mounting to the chassis. We feel like we can secure the lower splitter adequately without have to go that direction. Had a good chat with dogbone about this and we are hoping to replicate his positive experience with the splitter mounted in this fashion. The main reason we are trying this first is to hopefully limit the amount of collateral damage in the inevitable event of breakage.

Shape and length are also a work in progress. Our highly scientific and 100% infallible testing method with a smoke machine and an air gun has provided valuable insight up until now - so needless to say we need to get out on the track and see what happens.

*Don't mind the angle of the canards - they are not completely fastened down yet

**Also updated the OP with the current build specs

Appreciate 1
tsk941522.00
      02-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #105
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Finally getting to add some front aero to the car. T1 in SCCA does not allow more than 2" past the vertical plane of the bumper or dive planes - unless the car came from the factory with them installed. This means that I pretty much cannot run any front aero during those races - but all the factory race cars can (and do). At least in NASA we get to run both a decent size splitter and the canards.

The material we are using is Tegris with a thickness of 0.250". This thickness does seem like it will be rigid enough but have yet to test it out. If need be we can go to 0.400" in the future. It's light and easy to work with, so hopefully we are happy with the results.

As of right now we are avoiding mounting to the chassis. We feel like we can secure the lower splitter adequately without have to go that direction. Had a good chat with dogbone about this and we are hoping to replicate his positive experience with the splitter mounted in this fashion. The main reason we are trying this first is to hopefully limit the amount of collateral damage in the inevitable event of breakage.

Shape and length are also a work in progress. Our highly scientific and 100% infallible testing method with a smoke machine and an air gun has provided valuable insight up until now - so needless to say we need to get out on the track and see what happens.

*Don't mind the angle of the canards - they are not completely fastened down yet

Looks great! Splitters are so beautiful when they're new!!! Mine is beat to hell......but that is a testament to the fact that it actually has actually survived since 2015! And that means going off track many times. I'll replace it after the East Coast journey.

Not sure if you sorted out the details for the splitter support rods, but the top end of the support rods on my setup are supported by a metal bracket on the inside of the bumper to help spread the load out.

This is what my friend's looks like on the inside of the bumper. I just saw the inside of my bumper at COTA when we installed the headlight blanks. My metal bracket may even be wider.

With that front aero, you will start dealing with the bumper pulling down to some extent. I highly recommend those AeroCatch latches I have between my fender and bumper and get rid of the thin metal hanger clip between the two. Mine bent down at high speeds and started grinding the tire. Since the AeroCatch latches went on there----no issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #106
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 1969 Mustang Fastback

Quote:
Looks great! Splitters are so beautiful when they're new!!! Mine is beat to hell......but that is a testament to the fact that it actually has actually survived since 2015! And that means going off track many times. I'll replace it after the East Coast journey.

Not sure if you sorted out the details for the splitter support rods, but the top end of the support rods on my setup are supported by a metal bracket on the inside of the bumper to help spread the load out.

This is what my friend's looks like on the inside of the bumper. I just saw the inside of my bumper at COTA when we installed the headlight blanks. My metal bracket may even be wider.

With that front aero, you will start dealing with the bumper pulling down to some extent. I highly recommend those AeroCatch latches I have between my fender and bumper and get rid of the thin metal hanger clip between the two. Mine bent down at high speeds and started grinding the tire. Since the AeroCatch latches went on there----no issues.
I mounted my supports to the carbon crash beam. Also, I'm not using solid support rods. Went with cable so it would allow flex upwards without breaking the splitter (think about unloading from a trailer or going off), but still strong enough to support the weight of downforce
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #107
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:

Have the latches ready to go I definitely didn't miss that detail when "borrowing" ideas from your pics!

I'm putting the over/under for how long the splitter survives at 2 races...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelgy View Post
I mounted my supports to the carbon crash beam. Also, I'm not using solid support rods. Went with cable so it would allow flex upwards without breaking the splitter (think about unloading from a trailer or going off), but still strong enough to support the weight of downforce
We are using cables instead of the stanchions as well - hoping that it will help survive the inevitable off. We typically take the bumper off when loading/unloading - a lot easier to strap down - but I could see the cables definitely being helpful there too.
Appreciate 1
Shmelgy443.50
      02-27-2020, 04:24 PM   #108
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Quote:

Why not attach things to the chassis versus big washers and backing plates? You could go a little further and attach to the rigid bumper support. It's all right there. Not much work to go a little further and take all the load off the flimsy front bumper.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:10 PM   #109
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i did a similar thing when i had that apr splitter. worked well, but i think dogbone is due for a front aero revamp (yea, i build out other people's cars in my head).

but yea, i plan on using the crashbar as well in the future, its right there.
      02-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #110
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep

I have a pretty wild front splitter going on right now. I will be at MSRC next weekend if you are around can check it out. Its max size for TT3 12in front and 6in along the side.
Appreciate 0