BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #23
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd501 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post

anyway, I don't like the feel of new BMW's, plus not a fan of the looks of the M2 or 2 series so my default answer given this choice is a no brainer.
I was very much in the same camp ... I preferred the E46 M3 (or a F06 M6) over the M2 as a second car for the E92, until I saw this one on the forums. Definitely has me considering changing my mind (still give the edge to a nice E46 CSL clone, but it's close).
I would definitely rather have this than my e92
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 04:31 PM   #24
MBimmer2011
NooB
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP E90 M3

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I was very much in the same camp ... I preferred the E46 M3 (or a F06 M6) over the M2 as a second car for the E92, until I saw this one on the forums. Definitely has me considering changing my mind (still give the edge to a nice E46 CSL clone, but it's close).
I love the M2, specifically this one, at least from what I can see. Probably the only thing I'd trade my E90 for.
Appreciate 1
M2 GT0.00

Yesterday, 04:33 PM   #25
SAMM3Y
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
I really don't get all of the lack of torque comments on these forums. The S65 is very linear, and pulls fine down low.

I've owned a FBO F80 before this so that's my frame of reference. I really never once thought my DCT E90 was lacking in any way, in fact sometimes it surprises me how well it pulls everywhere.

I've also owned an S2000 so I get what people mean when they talk about torque, now that car needed to be revved up. The S65? I don't agree at all in terms of it being a problem or a notable "flaw"

anyway, I don't like the feel of new BMW's, plus not a fan of the looks of the M2 or 2 series so my default answer given this choice is a no brainer.

If you're are going to get an E90 I agree set aside 3-5K for issues noted above to be addressed or fixed, get new plugs no matter what (these motors are very sensitive to even plugs that are 15K miles old) and get any exhaust that you like and enjoy. It's a very raw machine and IMO the last of the classic BMW's that drive a certain way. The new BMW's feel like vanilla Ice cream...
Lack of torque talk comes from 6mt drivers, you have to thrash the car through 1st/2nd gear on a 6mt to go anywhere. Half throttle shifting at 5500rpm you can't keep up with traffic off the light. When you shift to third that's when the car comes to life! I've never driven a DCT M3 but can imagine it's better around town.

Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #26
neilum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 IB E90 DCT ZCP M3

Quote:
That black car is sick! OP's white one is too, I guess I'm just turned off by my F80 that I tried so hard to like.
Appreciate 1
M2 GT0.00

Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #27
neilum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 IB E90 DCT ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Lack of torque talk comes from 6mt drivers, you have to thrash the car through 1st/2nd gear on a 6mt to go anywhere. Half throttle shifting at 5500rpm you can't keep up with traffic off the light. When you shift to third that's when the car comes to life! I've never driven a DCT M3 but can imagine it's better around town.
I get the hyperbole but sorry but that's what I am talking about. I think it's just perception.

IF you want to get really technical and scientific the reality is the S65 driven in this manner would easily be faster than most normal or average acceleration cars driven in this manner. Most cars do not have 295 ft lbs @ 3900 RPM, that only weigh 3600 lbs, not accounting for very aggressive gearing that multiplies tq at the wheels.

The torque at the wheels, average HP for the cars weight and forward G forces in this car would be higher/faster than most ICE cars on road below 5500 RPM let alone what happens after that.

It's just a deceptive power delivery.

I'm not trying to argue but the truth and people's comments don't align very well when it comes to this topic.
Appreciate 1
M2 GT0.00

Yesterday, 09:02 PM   #28
SAMM3Y
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

It's not perception, it's a reality l live every time I drive my car. Most modern day turbo commuter cars are geared/tuned for around town and upto freeway speeds which is the opposite of an m3, mix varying non shifting transmissions and they don't need a ton of torque to do alright off the line at a traffic light. I mean don't get me wrong I can rev the car right catch the clutch perfectly and take off like a rocket but when your car has a custom exhaust it makes you look like an asshole. It doesn't help that everybody that sees as m car wants to test you so you feel like your perpetually racing everyone. You can argue the numbers all you want, the reality is it's missing something. Again this is only spoken as a 6mt driver, so shift times come into play. my car is heavily modified too including a shorter gear set. It's the reality of a short stroke small displacement v8 but also the beauty, quick revs and rev happy I love it don't get me wrong.

Yesterday, 09:28 PM   #29
Eja144
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

First and second at half throttle, no power-mode can feel a bit sluggish, but I definitely don't have to shift at 5500 to keep up with traffic off the line. I usually keep the revs between 2800 and 3800 for normal, around town driving and never feel like I'm lagging behind traffic. If I want to rocket around slow moving traffic I'll just let the revs climb to 4k in second or third and punch it, then shift around 6 so I don't get arrested, lol.
Appreciate 1
M2 GT0.00