BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

03-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
E92M3FIN
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 -09 Alpinweiss

E92 M3 Idle issue

Hi guys! I have a Bmw E92 M3 -09.

I bought it with few problems. Almost everything ok but it still has this annoying problem with idle.

The car is running normally when reving it or just driving around. No power loss or anything unless I stop and the car starts idling.

The idle is fine about 20 sec, but after that the revs are dropping a little bit and the car starts run differently and then simply stalls. Sometimes it idles fine a longer time, but most of the time this comes up.

Inpa shows that when the idle revs starts to drop, the car starts to run rich. The map sensor -value is unnormal even its just replaced.

The 02 sensor value shows also that the car is running rich.

Only fault codes it gives are 275E and 275D Oxygen sensor limit position fault bank 1 ja 2.

I have replaced:
Throttle actuators
Map sensor
Engine temperature sensor
Fuel pressure sensor
No vacuum leaks

After every part replacement it has started to run a bit better. When I bought the car, the idle was jumping specially with the cold engine, but now the issue is only that one.

Could it be just faulty 02 sensor? It still shows the value normally. Or some exhaust leak? It doesnt sound like the exhaust is leaking. Can faulty purge valve affect for this?

And the other weird thing. Only the bank 2 values are rich but it sometimes gives a fault code from both banks. The adaptation from idle is over 400 in the bank 2. 0 in the bank 1.

Any idea?

And the last thing I did! We took the injectors out and they were at the injector shop in service. Everything was fine.

But, when I put the injectors to the car again, I got more issues. Now there is power loss when driving with the car and still this same idle issue?

This guy have exactly same symptoms monitoring with Inpa:

Those values in the video are just like mine after the injectors service. Those vaues were totally ok before we took the injectors to service.

I appreciate if there is some ideas to try next! Here in Finland we don't have guys who have skills with these.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 08:34 PM   #2
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92M3FIN View Post
Hi guys! I have a Bmw E92 M3 -09.

I bought it with few problems. Almost everything ok but it still has this annoying problem with idle.

The car is running normally when reving it or just driving around. No power loss or anything unless I stop and the car starts idling.

The idle is fine about 20 sec, but after that the revs are dropping a little bit and the car starts run differently and then simply stalls. Sometimes it idles fine a longer time, but most of the time this comes up.

Inpa shows that when the idle revs starts to drop, the car starts to run rich. The map sensor -value is unnormal even its just replaced.

The 02 sensor value shows also that the car is running rich.

Only fault codes it gives are 275E and 275D Oxygen sensor limit position fault bank 1 ja 2.

I have replaced:
Throttle actuators
Map sensor
Engine temperature sensor
Fuel pressure sensor
No vacuum leaks

After every part replacement it has started to run a bit better. When I bought the car, the idle was jumping specially with the cold engine, but now the issue is only that one.

Could it be just faulty 02 sensor? It still shows the value normally. Or some exhaust leak? It doesnt sound like the exhaust is leaking. Can faulty purge valve affect for this?

And the other weird thing. Only the bank 2 values are rich but it sometimes gives a fault code from both banks. The adaptation from idle is over 400 in the bank 2. 0 in the bank 1.

Any idea?

And the last thing I did! We took the injectors out and they were at the injector shop in service. Everything was fine.

But, when I put the injectors to the car again, I got more issues. Now there is power loss when driving with the car and still this same idle issue?

This guy have exactly same symptoms monitoring with Inpa:

Those values in the video are just like mine after the injectors service. Those vaues were totally ok before we took the injectors to service.

I appreciate if there is some ideas to try next! Here in Finland we don't have guys who have skills with these.
The only other common items you haven't replaced are the fuel breather valve and the ICV.

I know these cars have their quirks but stalling out doesn't seem to be one of them (when stock). I don't have an answer, just keeping it at the top to see if more experienced readers know what going on. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #3
E92M3FIN
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 -09 Alpinweiss

Thanks!

I have ordered that fuel breathing valve and gonna change it next.

Where is located the high fuel pressure sensor? I have already replaced the low pressure sensor and it seems that there are 2 of them?

The car is now running pretty ok when I replaced injectors O-rings, but still this same idle issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92M3FIN View Post
Thanks!

I have ordered that fuel breathing valve and gonna change it next.

Where is located the high fuel pressure sensor? I have already replaced the low pressure sensor and it seems that there are 2 of them?

The car is now running pretty ok when I replaced injectors O-rings, but still this same idle issue.
I believe the high pressure fuel sensor is on a fuel line next to driver's side strut tower, pretty easy to get to when the air box is off.

Fuel breather valve is under the plenum in front of the secondary air pump (above the TA). You'll need a replacement hose clamp.

I had a jumpy idle and replaced the breather valve and it took care of it.
Appreciate 0