BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

05-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

Would there be interest in an affordable Valvetronic Exhaust? GROUP BUY OPENED!

I might be getting my own Valvetronic Axleback system manufactured, and was wondering if once I receive it and test fitment and quality, etc. If there would be an interest for the system. It would be much more affordable than the current systems and quality would be pretty good. I'm pretty much deciding on what tips to sample at this point of the process. Made out of T304 including valve controllers, etc. Im thinking of a price point under $2,000 shipped for the axleback system to directly connect up to stock piping. Of course there'd be more info once I receive the system. Also you can tell me what price point you would be comfortable with for a valved system to maybe make it workout.

Group Buy is Live! Click Here!

Also made this page to have people subscribe if they are inactive on this thread!
Just enter your email here for the major exhaust updates!
https://www.bomizshop.com/subscribe

Update 5/21 - Put down the money to have the sample made. Should receive in a few weeks.
Update 6/1 - Ordering 2 different samples from 2 different factories for testing, fitment, quality, and sound
Update 6/6 - One of the Manufactures is finishing up the sample, and i'm waiting on the other manufacturer to complete the other. Please note both samples are different designs and different piping size.
Also note that the tips are just samples and i'm going to be testing multiple styles of tips. I prefer a Straight cut tip on the E9x M3 instead of the angled.
Also note that this sample has a very sleek elegant finish from being sandblasted/titanium looking finish which is a premium option that the factory did for me.

Update 6/26 - Please refer to page 5 for first sample system received!
Link here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=93

Update 6/27 - Exhaust Installed! Also on page 5, link below
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=104

Update 7/9 - Second Prototype has arrived! Link below to more pics
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=158

UPDATE 9/7
First Off, I'd like to thank you for being interested and keeping up with me through the whole process! It started off an idea and through the power of the BMW community... a dream became reality.

I'd like to explain the current situation of the exhaust system.

Videos are planned to be completed Sunday, and you will be the first ones to here from me for the video.
A group buy will open this week hosted by gangup.com to allow a super easy and seamless way to join.
The exhaust will have various tip color options with different finishes on the system. Even with it being extremely affordable, I wanted to be able to cater to everyone's needs and wishes to make you happy.

What's still in development?

We are finishing the exhaust tips with the Bomiz logo. This part is near completion and seeing how the samples came out. This will not affect the Exhaust development time frame.
An X Pipe is still in development. We created a first prototype, but it still needs tweaking and adjustments for a release. There will be various configurations allowing you to choose how aggressive you want the sound to be. One we release the X Pipe, group buy buyers of the exhaust will have the option to purchase at an extremely discounted price. We originally were not going to create one, but there was a ton of interest in a full system... that's why this is behind the rear section schedule.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I'll be glad to answer anything I can! I apologize for the wait, but I hope you trust me when it will be well worth it!

8/23

IMG_20180824_092142_154
IMG_20180824_092144_235
IMG_20180824_092137_737
IMG_20180824_092135_326
IMG_20180824_092139_970
IMG_20180824_092133_041
IMG_20180824_092130_677

Last edited by Bomiz; 09-20-2018 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: Installation 6/27
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2018, 02:34 AM   #2
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
I might be getting my own Valvetronic Axleback system manufactured, and was wondering if once I receive it and test fitment and quality, etc. If there would be an interest for the system. It would be much more affordable than the current systems and quality would be pretty good. I'm pretty much deciding on what tips to sample at this point of the process. Made out of T304 including valve controllers, etc. Im thinking of a price point under $2,000 shipped for the axleback system to directly connect up to stock piping. Of course there'd be more info once I receive the system. Also you can tell me what price point you would be comfortable with for a valved system to maybe make it workout.
Factors that might be more relevant to a minority of folks include
Sound quality, sound volume, drone and weight.
Appreciate 2
EnVe461037.50
K-M390.50
      05-18-2018, 02:47 AM   #3
mrspecter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

I would be very much interested in a valvetronic exhaust system. I think unless you provide some sound and more details about the quality and build, it's really hard to dictate price point, but I'd say within $1500 sounds like something I'd be willing to pay.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 04:15 AM   #4
Bomiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Factors that might be more relevant to a minority of folks include
Sound quality, sound volume, drone and weight.
Well of course. No one wants it sounding bad. Weight is always lighter than stock, for weight we can see. I can also construct from titanium but the price is much higher.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 04:16 AM   #5
Bomiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspecter View Post
I would be very much interested in a valvetronic exhaust system. I think unless you provide some sound and more details about the quality and build, it's really hard to dictate price point, but I'd say within $1500 sounds like something I'd be willing to pay.
Sounds good. I'm actually going to use my mperformance as comparison
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 06:28 AM   #6
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You having an MPE is not a guarantee that you have good taste, but you have my attention.

I was listening to a valved exhaust video and open mode was just obnoxious, tasteless and loud. My son would love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You having an MPE is not a guarantee that you have good taste, but you have my attention.

I was listening to a valved exhaust video and open mode was just obnoxious, tasteless and loud. My son would love it.
Read this again and it doesn't convey what I intended; sounds snobby. I wrote it before my foot hit the floor this morning

Using the MPE as a comparison is positive in my book and is a choice of good taste. You'd likely strive for minimal drone and your criteria for a good sound is likely tone and not just blaring loud.
Appreciate 2
shimmy232330.00
shmad111.50
      05-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
Bomiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Read this again and it doesn't convey what I intended; sounds snobby. I wrote it before my foot hit the floor this morning

Using the MPE as a comparison is positive in my book and is a choice of good taste. You'd likely strive for minimal drone and your criteria for a good sound is likely tone and not just blaring loud.
Well i'm also catless. I can't really comment much until I receive a sample. I just wanted to see how much interest there is for a system if I was able to produce in quantity. Because half of the current valve systems are made overseas and twice the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

valves open would need to sound like the gintani race exhaust or at least eisenmann race exhaust for me to be interested. if valves are open, i want it to sound obnoxious.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #10
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

valves open should be singing!
valves closed should be baby friendly haha
      05-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #11
Bomiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by System Of A... View Post
valves open would need to sound like the gintani race exhaust or at least eisenmann race exhaust for me to be interested. if valves are open, i want it to sound obnoxious.
haha that's the plan. I'll record videos once I get a sample
Appreciate 1
shmad111.50
      05-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #12
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

I'd be interested if fitment is good and valves closed can pass sound at Laguna Seca. I'd be running it as a muffler swap only, leaving the rest of the exhaust system stock.

The limit there is 90 decibels measured at their sound booth. I believe most if not all valvetronic exhausts are too loud to pass sound even when closed.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #13
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Valves closed- corsa/MPE, valves open- eisenmann race would be awesome haha. Too bad it's impossible.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #14
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

China has a few manufacturers that have quoted me under $2k for a full Valvetronic exhaust, only problem is I'm worried about fitment and sound.
The only valvetronic exhaust I like is the one from Evolve tbh....
      05-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #15
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by System Of A... View Post
haha that's the plan. I'll record videos once I get a sample
Hope you have something soon! Needs a good muffler shape and tips. No saggy balls like rpi lol.

If you need a test car mine is track approved AND does day care runs
      05-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #16
Bomiz
Captain
Rep

I'm debating to make the sample muffler design one of these 2 styles.

Capture1 by Bomiz, on Flickr

Capture2 by Bomiz, on Flickr

I'm leaning more towards the first style to really hear the difference in open vs closed

Last edited by Bomiz; 05-18-2018 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 01:59 AM   #17
TRUE2THEBLUE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Definitely interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 02:19 AM   #18
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:

I'm leaning more towards the first style to really hear the difference in open vs closed
So, a muffler and a cut-out with a tip added on? Eh, I guess that's probably all the IPE, Armytrix, Kriess., etc. do, and then route the bypass through the muffler housing without any actual muffling. So if you do it cheaper you win!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 03:29 AM   #19
Bomiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteckba View Post
Quote:

So, a muffler and a cut-out with a tip added on? Eh, I guess that's probably all the IPE, Armytrix, Kriess., etc. do, and then route the bypass through the muffler housing without any actual muffling. So if you do it cheaper you win!
yeah I'm assuming that's how it's done. the reason valved exhausts get so loud.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #20
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/968/2...97f52452_o.png[/img]Capture1 by Bomiz, on Flickr

[img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/910/2...7cb2d1a6_o.png[/img]Capture2 by Bomiz, on Flickr

Yes, but am hoping loud and obnoxious can be done with a sound that is tasteful.

For example, the AA without cats still sounds refined, under control and is loud.

It would be nice if exotic and loud could be achieved.

And the, gintani .,,, Eisneman race are examples of loud and it sounds great. The problem is the drone in all of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #21
Bomiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/968/2...97f52452_o.png[/img]Capture1 by Bomiz, on Flickr

[img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/910/2...7cb2d1a6_o.png[/img]Capture2 by Bomiz, on Flickr

Yes, but am hoping loud and obnoxious can be done with a sound that is tasteful.

For example, the AA without cats still sounds refined, under control and is loud.

And the, gintani .,,, Eisneman race are examples of loud and it sounds great. The problem is the drone in all of them.
very true. I decided I'm not going to have the valve open literally be a straight through unmuffled design like the first pic.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #22
Bomiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Also you know what might be an interesting idea. An AA style exhaust (meaning one with helmholtz chambers) including valves.
Appreciate 0