BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
rear ended

Well, I got rear ended this weekend . I had a wedding to attend on Saturday so Friday after work I went to my local car wash to get a quick wash as I didnt have time to hand wash it.

This car wash is touch free, but its the type of one that is on a conveyor belt type thing. Well, the lady in her big ass Navigator never put her car in neutral and left it in drive. About half way through the car wash, bam, i get hit from behind. The impact was surprisingly solid and myself and the car definitely lunged forward.

The damage doesn't look too bad, but I have about a 8 inch scratch, a crease in my bumper cover and the bumper cover does no longer align well.

Oh and to top it all off, the lady doesn't have insurance.

I am planning on bringing the car to the dealer on Wednesday for an estimate.

I have to call my insurance lady back today and figure out how to proceed. I assume if my insurance covers it under a non-insured driver I will have to pay the deductible and my premium will probably go up??
      09-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Isn't driving without insurance illegal in most states?
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

I hope you called the police since she didn't have insurance? Not sure about where you are but that's highly illegal in Canada and it's a $2800 ticket for the first offence.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
BNBM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92

Garage List
I sure hope you called the police.
Active Autowerke Gen 2 Level 2 SC / StopTech ST60/40 BBK
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

I remember when I got rear ended earlier last year....I took about three dozen pictures or both cars, damage, and the scene. Not to mention got all the other driver's info and even snagged a creeper shot of the driver for assurance. Oh yeah, and I called the police as well.

Getting hit by a non-insured driver is my worst nightmare...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes, driving in Wisconsin without insurance is illegal.

Unfortunately, I did not call the police. I spoke with the manager at the car wash after it happened and she explained it is on camera, I took a picture of the license plate and took the drivers info.
      09-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #7
JDM_CL9
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
Should probably go get a police report made up just to protect yourself.
      09-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #8
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonsbs5114 View Post
Well, I got rear ended this weekend . I had a wedding to attend on Saturday so Friday after work I went to my local car wash to get a quick wash as I didnt have time to hand wash it.

This car wash is touch free, but its the type of one that is on a conveyor belt type thing. Well, the lady in her big ass Navigator never put her car in neutral and left it in drive. About half way through the car wash, bam, i get hit from behind. The impact was surprisingly solid and myself and the car definitely lunged forward.

The damage doesn't look too bad, but I have about a 8 inch scratch, a crease in my bumper cover and the bumper cover does no longer align well.

Oh and to top it all off, the lady doesn't have insurance.

I am planning on bringing the car to the dealer on Wednesday for an estimate.

I have to call my insurance lady back today and figure out how to proceed. I assume if my insurance covers it under a non-insured driver I will have to pay the deductible and my premium will probably go up??
Man that sucks!! Hope you get it all worked out without it costing you a lot! People piss me off riding around with no insurance, I pay out the ass just so I'm covered no matter what or who hits my car! I know in SC it's illegal to drive with no insurance! I doubt your rates will go up but ya never know!! And get a police report, you will need it!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
BNBM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92

Garage List
I got hit by an asshole with no insurance, I had to file through my insurance. It probably depends on the State, but I not only had to pay the deductible myself, but it absolutely went on my record as a claim, which has an effect on your rates. And you are basically screwed, what are you going to sue the other person? Even if you win, good luck collecting. That's why you call the police and at least they get a ticket or something.
Active Autowerke Gen 2 Level 2 SC / StopTech ST60/40 BBK
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBM3 View Post
I got hit by an asshole with no insurance, I had to file through my insurance. It probably depends on the State, but I not only had to pay the deductible myself, but it absolutely went on my record as a claim, which has an effect on your rates. And you are basically screwed, what are you going to sue the other person? Even if you win, good luck collecting. That's why you call the police and at least they get a ticket or something.
fawk, this is what I am afraid of.

The lady told my insurance person that she would pay for the damage, but I have a hard time believing it. Any guesses to the damage estimate? It just seems to be cosmetic damage to the bumper cover. Who knows if brackets are busted underneath it.
      09-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #11
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 '14 E63 '05 E55K

Why didn't you call the police.....
      09-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #12
woody4332
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 (E93)

Quote:
fawk, this is what I am afraid of.

The lady told my insurance person that she would pay for the damage, but I have a hard time believing it. Any guesses to the damage estimate? It just seems to be cosmetic damage to the bumper cover. Who knows if brackets are busted underneath it.
I was recently rear ended and have a E93 Jerez black as well, It was $800 for a OEM bumper with park sensors and another couple hundred for paint and labor. My original quote was $1500 and once it was all said and done it was right around 3k for everything. Once they pulled the bumper off they discovered some additional damage.

Good luck! You should have called the PoPo's

Woody

2008 E93 M3 Jerez Black/silver. MS Stage II Intake, MS underdrive Pulley's
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #13
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
All these people talking about getting rear-ended is creeping me out.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #14
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
All these people talking about getting rear-ended is creeping me out.
The smarter the phones get, the dumber the people get. It gets worse every day.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #15
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
The smarter the phones get, the dumber the people get. It gets worse every day.
I'm already paranoid sitting at a light with my Ducati. Watching the mirrors. leaving an escape route, etc. My brother actually watched an inattentive driver approaching in the rearview and floored it (he was waiting to turn left at a T-intersection), but she still hit him anyway (with somewhat less force).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #16
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
I'm always afraid of this happening...getting hit by someone without insurance. Seems like you're always gonna get the short end of the stick no matter what. SMH ...good luck dude!
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #17
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
well, lesson learned about calling the popo's.

Well, good news is my insurance person said since it is a 'not at fault accident' it will not affect my insurance premium or anything. Not sure how much of that I believe but....
      09-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #18
B8bydesign
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Well, good news is my insurance person said since it is a 'not at fault accident' it will not affect my insurance premium or anything. Not sure how much of that I believe but....
Yeah, hard lesson, but like you said, leason learned. Good news about the 'not at fault' though, hopefully they don't require a police report to rule that. Best of luck with the fix though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
I'm already paranoid sitting at a light with my Ducati. Watching the mirrors. leaving an escape route, etc. My brother actually watched an inattentive driver approaching in the rearview and floored it (he was waiting to turn left at a T-intersection), but she still hit him anyway (with somewhat less force).
Be careful, it works both ways. I actually got ran over at a red light on my bike by the car in FRONT of me.
Sold: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Performance | ACM | BPM | iND | Thule | LUX | Macht Schnell | Broadway Static | Rogue Engineering | BBS | Challenge | Metak
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #19
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Well, good news is my insurance person said since it is not at fault accident it will not affect my insurance premium or anything. Not sure how much of that I believe but....

Calling the cops in this situation wouldn't have changed anything for the better for you. In most states your premium cannot be increased for this unless you are at fault so what you are being told sounds accurate.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #20
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Chick drives a Lincoln Navigator without insurance? Wonder what the story is there....

Also, I thought states check for insurance on a given car when renewing its registration?

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #21
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
Calling the cops in this situation wouldn't have changed anything for the better for you. In most states your premium cannot be increased for this unless you are at fault so what you are being told sounds accurate.
It's not about changing it for the better, it's about making sure it doesn't get *worse*. Imagine if the carwash didn't have video and the lady claimed that he tried to back out or some stupid sh*t like that. People do some crazy stuff when they don't want to get in trouble w/the law, and that becomes a he said/she said situation.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #22
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
It's not about changing it for the better, it's about making sure it doesn't get *worse*. Imagine if the carwash didn't have video and the lady claimed that he tried to back out or some stupid sh*t like that. People do some crazy stuff when they don't want to get in trouble w/the law, and that becomes a he said/she said situation.
If the place didn't have video and witnesses weren't available by the time the police arrived, the woman could have tried that tactic anyway. And if there WERE witnesses that could be contacted later, then having the police there wouldn't have changed anything. I agree that it's a good idea to call them though, even if that's not the best example of why.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0